Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Around here it wasn't any import thing that killed it. It was simply that the boomer hated cruiser's in the late 80's and the big stereos in the early 90's killed off the rest of the towns with cruise bans. There's still lots of places around here that have ban statutes that say if you pass the same place twice in 45 minutes, you get a $150 fine. WTH? You can't even go somewhere and come back. The baby boomers who were the late cruisers made sure nobody else could do it. Then they wanted all their muscle cars that we were buying for $500-1,500 back and drove the prices sky high on those too. Our Aspens and Volares can be significantly more rare than any Hemi car or Daytona or Superbird, but you can't take it out and buzz the Ave on a Friday night because of *holes who got into local government. Not that we weren't abusive with exhaust you could here for miles and stereos you could here from the edge of town. But have you ever heard a Six Pack open all six from a stop light? Hellloooo… We weren't the first ones to ever do that. So really, around here, yes, you'll see 70-120 car loads of old farts sitting in lawn chairs around old cars almost each day of the week. But the cars I think are cool now, the not muscle cars, the not restored to better than factory, the ones with some grungy dude driving them at 4pm on a weekday in traffic, those are what I always enjoy seeing. Around here we run em ratty and just enjoy them when and where we can knowing they aren't trophy cars. I just laugh that we have a local club called "Remember Cruising" who never actually cruise, but have a $10 show every Friday night where only members get door prizes but lots of people go anyhow and patronize the downtown businesses. It was their generation that killed cruising for us. It never even got to the Ricers. There was never any litter. Just noise they couldn't tolerate. Now they want to remember when they didn't have sticks up their a$$es. There's a growing group of us who park right outside their price tag and go walk around to see what others have brought and paid tribute to the club for, for no good reason. Then we actually go cruise somewhere in our nasty loud ratty old cars that probably have seen more miles this year than those inside the barricades have gotten in the past ten. And the beauty of it is that there's a whole new generation joining us who also aren't interested in sitting around doing nothing in a lawnchair on a sidewalk with their grand parents or great grand parents. Cruising will come back. Just in a different way. It won't necessarily be to meet people as in the old days before you could meet them online. But it's coming around again to actually being going places and doing things together with people met online.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, and a friend visited today who gave me some inspiration to go ahead and finish building my Auto-X Super Coupe that I bought off this site and got all the suspension for to have fun not killing cones and stuff. My wife and I are going to go watch him run tomorrow morning before doing the whole Mom Day thing.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Too bad you are so far away. Sounds like me and my car would fit in.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There never was, or is, a "cruising ban" around here. I suppose, it's like many things that are popular at a time and then fade away over the years. The import thing, and I don't mean ALL the import crowd, was the thing that made it impossible to stop in a parking lot and bench race for a while before heading back out for more cruising. Technically that is called loitering but the police looked the other way, unless a business owner complained. Everyone was always careful to leave no trace we were ever there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until the import crowd started hanging around. Stereo's BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, leaving trash and litter, trying to do burnouts in the parking lot, etc. I feel they are the largest cause of cruising going away. The problems they caused filtered down to the actual cruising part of it also. Nowdays cruising is hit and miss. A big factor is the traffic is at least 10 times heavier than it was back in the '80's and early '90's so even at night, you'd spend more time sitting at red lights than actual cruising. That sort of thing sucks all the fun out of it.

Yes, I have heard a Six Pack go WFO. A buddy of mine had an AAR and there were a couple other AAR's around and 6 barrels open with an unsilenced air cleaner, open hood scoop and side exit exhaust,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hearing that is almost better than sex. The Hemi cars had a sound when all 8 barrels were open and the Air Grabber was open. They would suck birds in from 20 yards, lol! There was a '58 Fury that came out every so often and it was the same thing when all 8 were open. What was the best part is, it didn't seem to matter if you had Mopar, GM, Ford or AMC, or if your car was mint, rusty, stock or modified, newer or old, or whatever else, we all got along just fine regardless of your make of choice. All were welcome to join in. I think that also kept everyone in line so nobody did anything to attract unwanted attention from Mr. Policeman. The import guys couldn't comprehend that concept obviously. Again, not all the import guys, but a good portion of them.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    OC maryland has two big shows each year. Thousands showed up for the huge events. It was a great time for all. Then came the youngsters with the Caddys and Diesel trucks blowing smoke, speeding and doing burn outs etc. Accidents happened, people got hurt and down came the law. Now the cops ticket for everything, revving engines, loud exhaust, no hoods, etc. They lowered speed limits just for the event and raised to ridiculous fines. I can see where the event is losing attendance. BTW, import or ricer cars haven`t been a thing around here for many years now.