Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkervette View Post
    How many hobbies do you have??????????

It's all playing with cars. Just different construction methods.

I've deeply wedged the currently available 71 Cyclone body here. Turned the hood into either a lawn dart or a Decepticon shield depending on your perspective, so it clears the big ole Shotgun underneath. Every single cage bar has been modified from kit stock so it can fit below the body. But the beauty of Plastic is that No Trigonometry was involved! I'm really only making the chassis as a display stand for the body I have every intention of turning into a slot car mold buck so I can sell copies. As a slot car this thing is pretty sleek, as Mercury's go. It maintains it's original windshield angle despite wedging by laying it back into the roof too. The whole thing will be able to lay right down on the track over 5/16" shorter than stock with dramatically reduced frontal surface area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200219_185756.jpg   20200218_165535.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    What you might not notice in the side by side comparison is that the front wheel arch has been moved up a full 1/4 with the main body side wedge. But then the fender and door top are also wedged back up 1/8 half way back to level for tire clearance and which allowed 5/32 taken out of the roof length, while the fender ahead of the wheel has been re-arched really deeply. An extra 1/16 than the wedge cut, to keep that frontal surface area reduction too. I also cut and flipped the bumper into a big cow catcher front air dam.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Kinda looks like a cross between a Duster and a 71 Roadrunner don't ya think? Sure takes your mind off space saver spares in the middle of winter.... LOL!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The first image at a quick glance reminded me of the front wheel drive 455 Toronato.

I would LOVE to have one of those now.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    A friend of mine had a '68(?) Olds Toronado in high school. That thing was a rocket, no pun intended Looked so strange with tire smoke from the front instead of rear. Alas, it's was gone in 1983, only a year after we graduated. Done in by the lethal Wisconsin Tin Worm. You know, the worms that find steel to be a delicacy, and they especially love steel (and to a lesser extent aluminum) when it's well salted. If it's salted AND wet, the gorge themselves, go puke, then gorge themselves again, just like at a Roman orgy. Many have tried, but none have been able to find a repellent for the Tin Worm. You can wash them away, only to have them come back after the next snow storm. Only known way to avoid those critters is hide the car away in a garage where they can't find it, usually from November through April which is the time of year they reproduce faster than rabbits.

Yeah, cabin fever is raging big time. Can you tell? lol
    Last edited by aspen79; 02-25-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It isn't much but at least I managed to do SOMETHING on the Aspen. The upper coolant pipe bracket I made during the car's build only had a 1/4" thick strip of foam glued in for cushion. Eight years later, I noticed the foam wore through and it was metal on metal. Cut down some fender welting and glued that to the bracket, then glued a new strip of 1/4" foam, followed by a strip of tool box drawer liner on top of that. The welting was mainly for the beading to make it look more finished. It holds the pipe more securely than before while still allowing movement and it's cushioned. The drawer liner will keep the pipe from wearing away the foam again (in theory). Might be overkill but the cabin fever is raging and it makes you do things like that, lol.

Also did a few other minor things like polish the oil breather and pcv caps, etc. If I ever get my butt over to Menard's and get that darn HD Velcro tape, I can work on the luggage compartment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00403.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:06 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Love the heat shrink clamps. I have them on both the Dodge and Vette.

United States
    Thanks
    Nice! That should do the trick!

I bought a pinstriping decal sheet off ebay for model cars and started slicing licks out of it to make my own designs. Turned the trunk lid into a desert floral scene.

Then a rotten 79 R/T showed up Friday evening. So I thawed it out and spent a few hours working on getting the useful parts from it Sat and Sun. Still plenty to do but feeling like somebody gave me a massage, with a Brick, today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200227_175533.jpg   20200228_154506.jpg   20200229_103920.jpg   20200228_172750.jpg   20200301_181127.jpg   20200301_181007.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Is that a tilt column for a floor shift car.

United States
    Thanks
    No, not this one. Those seem to be much harder to find. I actually just gave $140 for one of those a couple months ago. But I was happy to, given that I needed for 81 fitment and it was even the right color. Why they had to mess with the wiring order every year remains a mystery to me, but I'll play the game and save the headaches.
    Volare Magnet