Page 75 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Wow, that car sure does look nice underneath!
    I AGREE!

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Wow, that car sure does look nice underneath!
    I AGREE! Nice job 76Beeper

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkervette View Post
    At one point I ran N50 15's on Cragar SST rims on my 76 RR. Back then it was trick to run the wide rims with air shocks and shackles. Rode like crap but we thought it was cool. Now it is the widest rim under the wheelhouse.

I would love to build a 79/77 Firebird like I had when I was in the Army and run the N50's like we did back then. I had an orange 76 with them too, wish I still had that car....

Attachment 6966
    I had a pair of N50-15's that I ran on my (1st car), '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe, then they went on a '73 Satellite Sebring Plus and later on my '78 Cordoba for time before putting the stock wheels and covers back on. Got lucky with the wheels they were mounted on as far as offset and backspacing, they fit in the wheel well with no air shocks or any other modifications on all 3 cars. I mean they JUST fit, but never once rubbed anything.

If you put a stock T/A "shaker" scoop on the Firebird, it would be a clone of the car a girlfriend owned (back in the mid '80's). '76 T/A, bright red, hot-rodded Pontiac 400, 4-speed, air shocks, radial equivelent of N50-15, Cragar SS wheels and of course, for the day, the mandatory Cherry Bombs exiting in front of the rear tires, a.k.a. "45's out the side". Wonder what ever happened to her and the car? If she stayed true to form, she still owns that very same car to this day. She loved that car more than just about anything else in the world.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I had a buddy who would drive his Dad's car on weekends. It was a gold BB firebird snorkel hood car WITH a T/A shaker; I cannot recall the rims - but remember they were OEM. It looked fantastic, only car I've ever seen with this combination. It was all functional with ram air and the flipped lid with vacuum door on the shaker. I would bet my house they still have the car, immaculately pampered.

United States
    Thanks
    FOUND ONE ON THE WEB!

This was the hood snorkel/shaker combination. But again, his car was solid gold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	215659fb5631238bea7d07e1482cdc59.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	6969

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if that was a rare factory set up? Ram air and shaker... I've seen that also once long ago. Never got a close enough look whether it was legit or cobbled. But the 71-73 Ram Air was my favorite hood on those. I could see if the shaker were mounted to the hood without aircleaner gasket, that it could be used as an extractor too.

I had an all red 79/77 t-top TA in the 90's. It was a 79 pulled from a crackhead's side yard for $50 with no rear axle, junk engine, dented fender, and racoon cage of an interior. Slapped a WS6 Axle in and sourced complete interior from local yards. Gave it a 77 front header panel shot in black primer to look like it had a bra. Fixed the fender and found out Ford engine red was a perfect color match baked on with a torpedo heater. Hand rubbed the whole car from pink oxidation to brilliant red again. One of those weird 77 German 301 Pontiacs with the special oil filter was the first incarnation of 5 engines. After a month of building that car we quit our jobs and took off for the beaches of N Carolina for the summer before we were too old to be irresponsible. That 301 may have been a slug but it gave almost 25mpg. No N50's. Just 255's all around.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 10-11-2021 at 05:43 AM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I miss the days when you could walk a bone yard and see rows of Firebird, Challengers, Camaro, Dusters, etc... And could pick most parts for 10-20 bucks. Of course, those cars then all were crushed for metal value... I want to say my complete 340 six pack was only $250 or so, and they let me use their fork lift and tools to do the swap. I really had no idea what I had my hands on, just needed a motor to replace the locked up 318. The T/A backend was crushed, engine bay was fine.

Walking the bone yard was a good Saturday morning!

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkervette View Post
    I miss the days when you could walk a bone yard and see rows of Firebird, Challengers, Camaro, Dusters, etc... And could pick most parts for 10-20 bucks. Of course, those cars then all were crushed for metal value... I want to say my complete 340 six pack was only $250 or so, and they let me use their fork lift and tools to do the swap. I really had no idea what I had my hands on, just needed a motor to replace the locked up 318. The T/A backend was crushed, engine bay was fine.

Walking the bone yard was a good Saturday morning!
    Now the youngsters today take a Uber to the phone store so they can just hang out for the latest and the greatest to come out. LOL

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We still have a couple yards around here with lots of old stuff. The stuff is so rotten now tho that it just good for the interior plastics that might remain. Still fun to go walk among them. Getting to that cool fall weather where the skeeters or ticks depending on weather aren't so bad.. Looking forward to more of those relaxing walks soon. If we don't get stuck working Saturdays to make up for lack of parts during the week. Another dumb thing bosses with no respect for labor or good sense do. Pay OT for production just to lose it again and again by running themselves out of parts. There was a 72 Formula Firebird in one yard with its ram air hood still until a couple years ago. I haven't been back since I couldn't see it from the road anymore. For all I know it merely got moved. I think I should actually go look for what exactly is in there again.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    To go back even farther, I remember when the '68 Coronet (when it was rust free yet) got rear ended. For whatever reason, the other drivers insurance only would pay for a used bumper. Back then a 4 year old car wasn't worth that much. My dad did the repairs himself. This was like '71 or '72 and I was only 7 or 8 years old but, went along to the yard to look for a bumper. Are you kidding? Of COURSE I went along to the junk yard! The yard owner sent us to the Mopar B-body section and I will never forget this as long as I live. There was a row of Super Bees and Coronet R/T's as far as you could see, all of them wrecked. I vividly remember more than one that said "Hemi" on the fender and one had the hood missing. Seeing that gigantic engine with the plug wires going into the valve covers was something else! That is the one we got the bumper from. The row behind the Coronets was Chargers and just as many of them. I also recall on the way to the B-body section, passing the E-body section and it was the same way. Barracuda and Challengers as far as the eye could see. Literally 100's of them. All these cars were anywhere from 1 to 5 years old and completely totaled. The best bumper we could find had a small dent in the center and that's the one still on the car now. At LEAST 100 of them to choose from and not a one that wasn't bent. My dad always joked that bumper made the car faster since it came off a Hemi Super Bee, lol.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (10-11-2021), Stalkervette (10-12-2021)