Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lol! These things have a way of being rattle traps for sure! Mama's has that pass dash squeak from a good bump too. I'm thinking it's one of the bolts above the glove box. To the dash frame, not the pad on hers. Don't want to risk breaking the plastic over tightening it like they did to solve the issue at the factory. So thinking blue permatex next time I've got it apart. Then if it still jiggles it might better isolate the noise.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine has developed the type of rattles that make noise all the time, just from normal road vibrations. Annoying as all heck.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Years ago I found a rattle in the door on my car. It was a darn socket. No idea where it came from. LOL

United States
    Thanks
    What makes it seem even worse, my '96 Dakota with 185,000 miles, doesn't have one single squeak, creak, clunk or rattle, even on harsh bumps. Of course the Mustang is about dead silence inside but the car I spent years building,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rattles. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Old parts and old bolts. They tend to loosen with time. I think in part that trim screws don't tend to get tightened to factory specs because we dont want to strip old holes or break fragile plastics that line workers didn't care about when everything was fresh virgin material. I just had to re-torque a few bolts on my daughter's car that I had apart 2 yrs ago.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The ultimate in noise free, 2012 Charger. The alternator died in my Mustang yesterday (gosh darn Ford's.....) so I drove the Charger to work today. Dead silence inside, zero wind noise and you can barely hear the tires on the road. Almost TOO quiet, lol.
    Last edited by aspen79; 10-27-2021 at 04:09 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My '13 R/T was also very quiet inside. Maybe a part of that was the terrible audio system that could barely pick up a stereo signal 30 miles from a 100,000 watt station. I would often cruise in silence rather than be irritated. It was certainly in part because the resonators are just overkill with the mufflers. It was also even quieter once I removed the engine under tray so all the cross winds that would literally try to rip the car half a lane sideways from being trapped in that big beautiful horse collar grille, had somewhere to go.

Ford starters have always been an issue as far as I've known. Sorry to hear. Hope it's not as bad as My Cobra-II, in that I have to drop the steering rack to remove one!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    No, not the starter, the alternator in the Mustang. It can't get much easier to change. Belt off, disconnect the cable and field connector, 3 15mm bolts and it's off. If they were all only that easy!

I did notice the reception isn't wide reaching. There's enough stations around here that it isn't a problem though. The antenna is in the back window grid so it's only going to be just so good. One station I do listen to is about 30-40 miles away and it comes in like you have the frequency about .2 or .3 numbers off (like 105.1 instead of 105.3 for example). It's only a 3.6L/ 8 speed auto but that car has quote a bit of snort. Kind of surprising given the size and weight of the car. They're about 4,300, give or take a bit. What REALLY impresses me is if you put the center display on mpg. Steady 60 mph on level road it shows roughly 60 mpg and the average for the trip to work and back home (it reset when I changed the battery last night) says 29 mpg, DANG! I know it's an inferred number calculated from engine sensor input data, injector pulse width commanded, fuel rail pressure, etc, etc, etc but they're usually pretty darn close.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Aspen uses 3 times more fuel but,,,,,,,,,,,,which one is more fun to drive? The Aspen of course.

United States
    Thanks
    No, not the starter, the alternator in the Mustang. It can't get much easier to change. Belt off, disconnect the cable and field connector, two 13mm bolts and one15mm nut and it's off. If they were all only that easy!

I did notice the reception isn't wide reaching. There's enough stations around here that it isn't a problem though. The antenna is in the back window grid so it's only going to be just so good. One station I do listen to is about 30-40 miles away and it comes in like you have the frequency about .2 or .3 numbers off (like 105.1 instead of 105.3 for example). It's only a 3.6L/ 8 speed auto but that car has quote a bit of snort. Kind of surprising given the size and weight of the car. They're about 4,300, give or take a bit. What REALLY impresses me is if you put the center display on mpg. Steady 60 mph on level road it shows roughly 60 mpg and the average for the trip to work and back home (it reset when I changed the battery last night) says 29 mpg, DANG! I know it's an inferred number calculated from engine sensor input data, injector pulse width commanded, fuel rail pressure, etc, etc, etc but they're usually pretty darn close.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Aspen uses 3 times more fuel but,,,,,,,,,,,,which one is more fun to drive? The Aspen of course.

Speaking of, and more to this thread and website, it appears this Saturday will be the day to drive the Aspen one last time before it's hibernation. Rain tomorrow, probably Friday morning but Saturday clear and 60 degrees. After that it all goes to sh*t. Yhey even mentioned the "s" word on the 6pm weather. I'll have the Mustang fixed to drive Friday (Motorcraft alternator coming tomorrow) and then it'll go next to the Aspen and the big bad Dakota emerges for a few months. Always hate the day that happens. It's when I go from cars with power to a truck with not so much. Oh well.

Back off topic again. Could an alternator be any easier to change? Yeah I know,,,,,,,,a summers worth of dust and dirt. Need to clean that before putting it away this weekend also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00588.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 10-27-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    About as easy as you can get.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack