Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    They are nice and bright. I like them and they took the place of T-8 lights and make a great amount of difference.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    How do they do for light? In the pic it looks like they're nice and bright. I need some good lighting out there. The older I get, the more light I need to see, which I guess is normal.
    Normal doesn't mean it doesn't SUCK! Lol! On a similar note. I'm having a serious amount of trouble welding with my auto dimming helmet. I can't see a thing on light mode cuz it's too dark, and then I can't adjust it dark enough to see anything when it goes weld mode. Just blinding and making me Crazy! I just close my eyes and trust my hands while I sunburn my cheeks at the moment in frustration.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 04-16-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: cuz I forget stuff too
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Never said it didn't suck
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Got a new set of shocks for the ol' Aspen. On "the other site", I discovered the overly stiff ride might be from the KYB Gas-Ad-Just shocks i have on the car. Maybe 20 years ago I'd be fine with the ride but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,give me a little smoother please, lol. Found out the same p/n KYB is listed for an F-body as a '75 Royal Monaco 440 which is silly. Replacing them with Monroe OESpectrum's. When my truck rides smoother than a car, something just ain't right. Put it this way, I can push as hard as I can on the rear bumper and the rear drops 1/2" at the most. Yeah, I'm not exactly a heavy weight (135) but still........Front is about the same.

The new shocks compress fairly easy by hand. I remember putting the KYB's on the front and had a terrible time compressing them to get them in place. Plus, they would extend all the way back out in about 2 seconds, the Monroe's extend nice and slow since they must have a reasonable gas pressure, not the 82 billion psi in the KYB's. Added bonus, the new ones say "Made in USA".

Won't know for sure until they're on and I drive the car but, I'm optimistic.

Here's a short video from last September. It's a couple miles of the 15 mile trip home from work (and only 2 more to go after this!) I know, hard to tell from a video but you can kind of see what I mean when I go onto and off the bridge over the Interstate.
    Last edited by aspen79; 04-30-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Shoot I can't push my back bumper any farther than 1/2" either and it is not the shocks. It is the E body leaf springs.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    All I've got are regular 4-leaf F-body springs from Eaton, stock except for a round spring eye instead of oval.

United States
    Thanks
    My E body springs are six leaf. My shocks are basic stock ones that fit an 8 3/4 rear axle. Your problem probably is the shocks. My problem is not lol!
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    I don't want to sound like a wimp, talking about the firm ride, but ever since I hurt my back BAD (I was down for a week when it happened, at work) about 12 years ago, it's never been the same. In other words, a vehicle that rides not so harsh makes it way more enjoyable to drive, especially for longer distances. Will the shocks do the trick? I'll find out soon enough. Hoping to get them on before the weekend since there appears to be a window of opportunity Saturday afternoon where it'll be sunny and dry to try them out. Otherwise it's rain, rain, and nothing but rain in the forecast every frigging day.

United States
    Thanks
    Believe me I know all too well about the back and spine problems. I have had a total of five surgeries on my spine so a fair ride is good with me also. One of these days when I can get around to it I am going to remove a leaf spring from mine and go from there. I just have had not time lately to do that.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    I know there was a time when EVERYTHING didn't hurt constantly and all at the same time! Back, knees, shoulders, elbows, hands, wrists, neck, feet etc, etc. The only thing that changes is the degree of hurting, depending on the weather, what I did the day before, etc...............Part of it is being an auto tech for the past 35 (holy crap.....) years, the other part is getting older I suppose. Still, at 55 I'm in better condition than a lot of people younger than me so,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's about all a person can hope for, yes? I hate taking pills but have to admit that ibuprofen tablets are my best friend the past few years.

There are mornings when I really wish I owned a single story ranch house so I didn't have to come down those stairs in the morning. Old house means steep stairs on top of it all. Seven foot drop between the top and bottom landings in about 10 feet makes for almost a ladder effect.