Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. I forgot that later cars could move the tank and get side by side on the right. I'll probably end up with the over-under twist.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There'd be plenty of room on each side if he did the tank slip and routed them down both sides. But I really like to twins together on the right too. I'm kinda figuring I'll get rid of the turn downs and do CC this winter. Did I say double barrel shotgun? I bought a pair of 2.5" '71 Machinegun Tips, so it should look really cool!

Thankfully my white R/T is a late '77. I've already slipped the tank over on that one even without an engine in it yet. Lol!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, those are 2.5" pipes. The tank is in the stock location. I thought about moving the tank to the right and running one pipe out each side when building the car nut, I couldn't bring myself to cut into a perfect trunk floor to move the "hump" for the roll over valve to the right (June 21, 1979 build car) so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pipes out the same side. I had the exact same set up on my '78 Cordoba 25+ years ago and like the look of two side by side pipes out the rear.

I also thought about a heat shield of some type except there is literally no room for one. The pipes don't get THAT hot and it's only close to the flange, not the main part of the tank anyways.

What happened when installing the resonators is, I just got the system a hair out of whack. No big deal, only need to loosen the clamps and recombobble it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0001.jpg   DSC00436.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member 76Beeper's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    I always liked that exhaust setup Rich.
    Did the F-body cop cars have that same set-up?

United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure about F-body cop cars. If they had dual exhaust, it would have been the style where the t-pipes merge into one over the rear axle like the E58 cars had, or could have had (I have no idea if dual was standard on those or optional). In my '79 parts catalog, the Police/Taxi section is empty. Not one single page.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I have decided, after looking around the garage, before I dig into ANY winter Aspen (or Mustang for that matter) project I need to clean the garage. The nice way of saying it is, it's a pig sty. Time to organize, go through the stuff on the shelves, and work benches, and floor, and.................start shoveling. It's amazing how the crap just accumulates over time. A lot of it is on the "keep" list, but also a lot of sell, give away or otherwise get rid of stuff and then there's the stuff the shovel is for. Shovel it right in the back of the Dakota and take it to work to put in the scrap metal bin or trash dumpster. THEN, work on the cars can commence. This could take a while............

United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I agree. I need to clean my garage also but I always have a hard time throwing anything away. I did throw some stuff away in the spring but it didn`t really put a dent in it.

United States
    Thanks
    That's one of the reasons my garage is such a disaster area, "I might need it someday". When someday still hasn't come twenty years later, it never will come. Another reason is too much stuff isn't put away where it should be. Don't know if I got lazy or what but next thing I knew,,,,,,mess. Of course, more and more tools and equipment have been added over the years while the space hasn't gotten any bigger. I've seen much MUCH worse so I don't feel quite so bad about it. Still, it's not me and it WILL get cleaned and organized before anything else is done out there. It just has to! I'd post some pics but it's almost too embarrassing to let anyone else see it.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 05:34 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I am right there with you. The space has not grown since it was built in 1984 but the tools, equipment, and stuff keeps pilling up. have so much stuff I really don't know where to begin. One of these days I guess I will grow a pair and start throwing out half of it.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    When the garage was first built in 1998, and was still empty, it looked so huge (24 x 30) but it doesn't feel big anymore. I can't expand it since I'm allowed 1,000 sq ft of detached buildings and am at that now. Garage is 720 sf, shed is 280 sf. It's town code based off lot size (1/2 acre) and square feet of the house, which is about 1,000 sq ft. It is what it is. Once I get rid of the extra stuff I will never use and get rid of the just plain junk, it won't be so bad. On the shelves are things like a POS repop BB oil pan, old oil pump, water pump, intake, blah, blah, blah from the Aspen engine, a bunch of parts I changed over time like 2 cam/lifter sets (one was too small, the other too big) with under 50 miles. perfectly good Dynomax mufflers, brand new stock style rockers and shafts, the old exhaust system from the mid '90's, set of 14x6 Rallye's with new looking (but 30 year old) tires,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, you get the idea.