Page 63 of 73 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It's part of an e-body defogger. There's also the piece that goes under the right speaker opening to draw in air, and the fan bolts to the bottom of that, directing air through the hose to an outlet in the center of the package tray. I used to have a couple of them, complete (like 35-40 years ago and I suddenly feel really old, lol). Who knows where they went or when.

I believe those 2 road wheels are from an early '70's C-body like a Newport maybe. Not a clue why I have them, where they came from or how I ended up with them. I'd have to go look but it seems to me they are 15 x 7 (?)

Actually, there's quite a few things in the attic I have no clue where, how or why! Lots of it has been carted around for 30 years. I really need to just get my butt up there and go through that stuff. One bad thing is, there's half a dozen 4 x 8 sheets of plywood up there, that I hauled up for the attic floor BEFORE I put the floor in. Seems I miss calculated how many sheets I'd need. Now they're trapped. Never tried but I don't think there's any way they'll fit down the pull down stairs, lol.

I read where there's two different ways of grading abrasive paper, CAMI and FEPA and what one calls 600, the other calls it 400 (or 800 vs 600 etc), even though they're the same grit size. So if one brand is made in USA and uses CAMI, and the other is made in Europe or something, it would probably be FEPA. Rather than trying to explain and to save all sorts of typing:

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/a-...classification
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I just realized what you were looking at and called hood vents. There is also one or two RR hood vent die-cast type things up there, you know, where the engine size call outs go?

Those "vents" are the warning light bezels for a Barracuda Gran Coupe/Challenger SE overhead console. One is missing the lens/socket assy. IIRC, the warning lights are "door ajar", "fasten belts" and "low fuel".
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a winter project I would like to bring home. Maybe some of you could suggest a way to get it home. The car is stored about 65 miles away. It's been in storage since 1978, so it doesn't run. Hiring a flat bed will cost several hundreds of dollars so I am trying to find a more economical way of getting it home. Since a friend said I could borrow her 3/4 ton pickup, I was thinking of renting a trailer. The Uhaul car dolly is out. It has a max capacity of 3500 lbs. I was considering the car trailer because this car weighs 5000 lbs. My problem is getting the car up onto the trailer. There is no winch on the trailer or the truck. I can probably get my brother and another buddy to help but even with three of us I think it will be difficult getting all that weight up the ramps. Any ideas?

United States
    Thanks
    Not that I would do it but watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdGt...fWeZloovchkWyY

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The chain drag always works well if you've got a 2nd pull vehicle to chain to. I think we've done that with almost everything we could chain to that runs. Including a car bought from the guy narrating that video. Lol! But otherwise I think a ratchet come along is still under $60 at TSC or Rural King. Just slower and more effort.

I wondered if those could be overhead console bezels since there were other Gran Coupe parts nearby. But I haven't seen one of the classy versions in ages. Everybody too busy pretending theirs are Cuda's.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    If it was me and I didn`t have a winch and if the car has good tires and rolls fine then I would use a HD ratchet come along.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    When this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180506_201619.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	6507

happened I was about 35 miles from home. A regular flatbed tow was about $80. Would it really be that much worse at 65 miles?

United States
    Thanks
    I got curious and ask one of the tow truck drivers that frequently hauls cars to the shop and he said it's be about $350 for a flat bed tow. It was something like $75 call fee (up to 30 miles), plus $2.25/loaded mile and also an additional $100 for the 35 miles over the initial 30 miles. Think he said it was an another $100 for over 30 miles but less than 90 miles and then an additional $2.00/un loaded mile for 91 miles and up along with the $2.25/ loaded mile. It adds up when distances get great. I suppose, they have the truck cost, truck maintenance cost, fuel cost, the driver's pay, insurance, regulations, on and on and on.

Side note: I get a kick out of how most of the towing companies around here advertise as 23 hour or 23 1/2 hour towing. Why not say 24 hour towing? Simple answer, the insurance costs from 23 1/2 hour to 24 hour are over double. The reason for that, not a clue. They will tow any time day or night. One guy said the 1/2 hour they don't tow per day is a 1/2 hour where they weren't on a call, lol! All perfectly legal by the way.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If it's registered in your name already, that suddenly makes $100/year AAA worth it in one call. A friend had starter issues with delivering an old Lincoln MK3 from Jersey to Detroit. Brand New NAPA starter, would start the car once then not turn the engine over again after the next fuel stop. So he had AAA haul him the 100 miles further along his route to another NAPA and another starter. He spent half of the distance on flatbeds because those NEW starters kept failing, to deliver the car to the buyer. That guy then had the most recently failed one rebuilt locally and has been happy with the car ever since. Many of us travel long distances with our old cars for various reasons from shows to sales or even just dragging another one home. But that AAA membership can really pay for itself for a few years in a single occurrence of needing a single or multiple tows to make a distance in one direction or another. On the other hand, if you really like to do it yourself a U-haul trailer is pretty cheap at around $70/day insured. Their trucks cost a fortune to rent but if you've already got a tow rig that's the ticket right there. I've used a ratcheting come-along to drag non-op cars up on those trailer decks many times at more than 100 miles from home.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    That's if you can find a towing company that does AAA towing. Most don't around here, mainly because what AAA pays for a tow, the towing company doesn't even get what it cost them to do the tow unless it's only a couple miles (in fuel, driver pay, etc). At least that's what the tow truck outfits have said. The insurance on my Aspen (Grundy) will pay the regular towing companies fees up to 250 miles. Hope I NEVER need to use that coverage though!

While out in the garage, I thought of another winter Aspen project (after the garage is cleaned up). I really need to futz around with the door glass and w/stripping and see if I can eliminate, or at least reduce, the air leaks. The wind noise when you get over 50 mph or so gets really annoying. I know some of the noise is just air going around the not aerodynamic exterior of the car bt a lot of it is just plain air leaks. With the repop roof rail seals, that could be a challenge but, there has to be a way! I probably get spoiled when the Mustang is out of storage, since it has no wind noise at all (seriously, not a peep), from anywhere at any speed. The Dakota isn't too bad either. Both of those have smoother exteriors however, so I know the Aspen will never be THAT quiet, lol.