Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you had luck with that thing. I bought one and had no luck at all. I had some woodworking projects going at the time and wanted some air tools so ran into a deal on a CH pancake with air nailer, brad nailer, and I don't even recall what the third tool was, all for $219 at Home Depot. But that little pancake works great with little touch up guns too. I don't pay $30 for them at Home Depot or Lowe's anymore. $13.48 at Harbor Freight with a $3 one year replacement warranty. I always kill them within a year so it's just another $3 to warranty the next one!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I went back to the gas station hours later after getting done with things, asked, and they had it. Someone brought it inside. So cool!

Usually I lose them on a road trip so no realistic option to get it back.

Next is to figure out how to add some neodymium magnets to it so it will just stay on the trunk.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That is the problem with non-tethered gas caps. Where do you set it while filling up? I always set it on the pump island, right below where the nozzle goes into the pump, where you can't help but see it when hanging the nozzle up. My Dakota and Mustang have fuel doors and the caps are tethered so it's tough to lose them. Problem is, where do you prop them while filling so they don't hang down on the paint? Mustang has a hook on the door for the cap but the Dakota doesn't. Maybe that's why so many cars have capless filling now. Only thing is, they create their own unique set of problems.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wasn`t much chance of someone wanting to keep a 70`s gas cap. Most probably think it is off a tractor or something. LOL

United States
    Thanks
    You'd be amazed how popular a theft item the F-body gas cap was in the 80's and 90's. I don't recall ever finding anything else they fit, yet they'd just go missing while a car sat in a parking lot somewhere. I've never understood it. There weren't a ton of these cars around, but the stupid gas caps...! Maybe that's why you can still buy the stamped chrome version at your local parts store. I've saved back about a dozen of the solid plastic 79-80 caps from yard cars and just thankful they don't disappear anymore.

I always stick mine upside down on the back window trim. When I'm done with my paper towel under the nozzle in case the tank burps it goes back on. But I've thought of using a cable loop like came on the 60's and early 70's Mustangs and Mavericks. If done correctly it flips down with paint to paint and not the metal securing tabs on the paint. They're available aftermarket from several vendors.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Around here there used be F-bodies everywhere you looked so, I suppose losers would swipe the cap off someone else's Aspen or Volare to replace the one they lost. By the very early '90's, the majority of F-body sightings ceased as one by one, those remaining lost the battle with cancer.

My thing for not losing the gas cap is to get in a habit. Remove cap, fill tank, hang nozzle up, put cap back on, go in to pay. Come back out and do a visual that it's on. Worked good so far...…….Now watch, next time I fill up, I'll forget the darn cap. Sigh...

Related note, sort of. Taillamp lens theft was a big problem in this area from Cordoba's. The lenses tended to come unglued and fall off randomly, so the criminal types would pull them off someone else's car instead of buying their own. The lenses on my '78 Cordoba vanished one night in a parking lot as my honey and I were in the theater, and I KNOW they didn't just fall out on their own. The cornering light lenses on the front fenders were another high theft item. Never had them stolen but I did have one fall off on the road at some point.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I just noticed the other day that I have a Doba cornering lense trying to warp and pull loose from my 3yr old butyl seal about half way up the back side. If thieves had been smart back then they'd have used a screwdriver to remove the front turn signal bezels instead. Try finding one of those today that isn't just shattered with microfractures in the clear plastic.

Aspen t-light lenses are glued on also but at least they have 2 small screws from the back, for security.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 01:58 PM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    This is the lens I was talking about. My car didn't have the actual cornering lights but they all had the same lenses either way. It fell of my Cordoba shortly before the left spring hanger decided it wanted to see what the inside of the car looked like, and I decided it was time to let it go, so it never got put back on. Why I still have it, no idea. Maybe sentimental reasons? LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00296.jpg  

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Not only did the tail light lenses on the cordoda (as would the Lebaron) fall out. They would fill with water also.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Week Ago at 02:30 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I usually have a good habit going with it on the trunk lid, but the pump was failing. I got irritated that the station would let their gear get so run down.