Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, not necessarily 77. The air would always be at the top of the caliper bore and could be there forever. I'm planning on wandering out to the garage this evening and try the bleed thing. If I get air out, great! If not,,,,,,,,,,,next step. Both caliper pistons retracted just fine using my thumbs. In hindsight, I should have used a clamp and saved my thumbs from pain, lol. Now that I've made the summer/winter switch (Dakota out, Mustang in) I can dig into the Aspen full bore.

On the steering gears..............I overhauled the one on my Aspen (replaced a year later with a FF Stage 2) and,,,,,,,I will NEVER do that job again. I followed the service manual exactly and even still, I think I had it back apart a dozen times. The adjustment are another project in themselves. It's an experience I really don't need to have aver again. I mean, it worked fine and didn't leak, which is the main reason I overhauled it but,,,,,,,,,it also felt like a stock gear with no road feel, way too much assist, the huge on center dead spot and it was darn near impossible to go straight down the road. Your results may vary.
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:30 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That would be great if it is just air caught in the caliper. Let us know what you find out.

United States
    Thanks
    Well,,,,,,,,,,,,there's a theory debunked, lol. Got a couple little bubbles of air but the fluid that came out looked like sh,,,,,,,crap. Brown, and rusty looking. Goes to show, just because the fluid in the reservoir looks and test fine, doesn't mean ALL the fluid is like that. Yes I know, Rattletrap mentioned fluid and rust.

First step is get some new fluid to replace what's in the system now. What I had on the shelf (now in the trash) has been sitting there for at least 7 years and was only 1/2 qt at the most anyways. Then, take at least the left caliper apart and have a look-see inside and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,go from there. Either replace or repair and then bleed the entire system until it's nothing but clear fluid again. Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,if it hasn't salted out yet, give it a try.

It very well still could be the left hose being restricted to where it prevents fluid from going into the caliper but lets it back out unrestricted, since the brake doesn't drag. I have run into that before. Usually it's the other way around where it will hold the brake on but it all depends on which way the "flap" is inside the hose. Maybe I'll just replace the hose right away and be done with it and THEN, change all the fluid.
    Last edited by aspen79; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:22 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I was told by a former Army mechanic that they had to bleed the brakes on their trucks regularly because of brake fluid self contamination. Somehow it draws moisture right through the hoses, although they seem to be sealed because they don't leak the actual brake fluid. I don't understand how water could displace fluid in a sealed system, but he swore that it comes in and creates a milky fluid which then becomes rusty from contact with the metal parts if not constantly maintained. It further made no sense to me that it isn't then a maintenance requirement on all vehicles so I suggested that's what happens when the lowest bidder builds your trucks. But he swore it's because of the fluid and also part of the reason we see convoys out on the road monthly. The troop exercises are also exercising the equipment as part of it's maintenance schedule. Can't be left sitting around doing nothing. So while I don't fully 'get it' Ive always felt a little negligent since that conversation. But I also know I just had the whole system in our Doba apart 5yrs ago and everything from MC to hoses and some lines are new parts. So my only assumption is that I must have an old caliper sticking. It goes in and out fine. Doesn't drag. But it does activate slower on the one side. At least enough slower to make a difference when there's 1/8 turn slop in the steering box. Another piece I replaced, but with a used one that didn't leak, and it quickly went to crap under the weight of the late B-body. So yeah, I'm headed for some more replacement parts and trouble shooting over the winter too. I'm thinking that Steer and Gear which is right in Ohio may make as good a product as Firm Feel and going to give them a try.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    When I was suffering at the Audi dealer before I did the best thing I've ever done in my life and GTFO in 2012, brake fluid changes were required maintenance. First was at 3 yrs and then every 2 yrs after that. I do have to say, people that had the service done never had a brake system hydraulic problem such as a stuck or leaking caliper or an ABS hydraulic problem, and ABS HCU's are very expensive to replace. It's just one of those maintenance items you never think to do, but should. I'd never have thought a car that is parked in a climate controlled garage, had a totally new brake system as of 2012 and hasn't been wet since 1996 would have a brake fluid moisture problem. Even after being an auto tech for 35 years, you still learn new things about old systems. Then again, the fluid's been in there for over 7 years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how time flies when you're having fun I suppose it's possible the caliper bore was rusty when I put it on the car, not probable but possible.

United States
    Thanks
    My wifes VW requires brake fluid change every couple years. I did it once but haven`t since as i thought it was silly. She has about 150,000 miles on it and so far so good. Now that i say that something will take a crap. LOL I remember when I was a kid many a car had rusting crap coming out when bleeding. Wheel cylinders especially. I haven`t seen it as much on the newer cars. My one car has Dot 5 and I will be using it when I finish my volare. It seems to work out fine and I like the won`t harm paint deal.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:41 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    Who'd have thunk getting calipers would be a problem? Carquest, Napa, O'Reilly's,,,,,,,,,,,,not in stock anywhere in the country and no estimated date of availability, pr even if they will be available period. Summit. not in stock, estimated ship date mid December at the earliest (assuming there actually will be a ship date), a couple other places same thing..... OK, no biggie I'll just rebuild the ones I have. Seal kits can be had, the pistons,,,,,not so much it seems. Grumble. The search continues.

United States
    Thanks
    It appears autozone has them.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:05 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! It shows "ship to home" as in stock or order in store, which is what I'll probably do. That way I don't have to ship the cores back, just take them along when I pick up the new ones. Hate going to that place because I don't drive a compact import slow and delirious type of car but, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I wonder why the core charge for the pass caliper is $5 and the drivers side is $35??? Odd.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Rockauto shows them in stock as well as pistons and seal kits.