Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wasn't so much the 12 degrees, it was the whiteout from blowing snow and the drifts that you can't see until it's too late. Not worth it when it's not absolutely necessary to go out. Besides, my Dakota was more or less clean and since I took today off, it's still clean.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Sweet! I get what you're saying. Sometimes I just figure on not going out for similar reasons, but I needed four things yesterday. At least I was able to get the most important one that kept me moving forward. Got my 1st pour into the mold today. Made my own sprues to dangle 4 seats into the top, plus boot and windshield frame and one seat in the bottom this round. Next I'll have to make mods to what I've got in the bottom to finish that side since I didn't destroy the viability of the body to re-sell it, to do this. Then I'll also add the rear seat into the bottom side of the mold which will be a couple more steps but provide me with 8 total products from the block of rubber. I'll be able to cast 4 at a time on opposite sides although each will be able to cast individually without the rest as sales dictate. Nothing to get rich on, but gratifying and a service to myself and other modelers.

Pretty proud of myself actually. Zero thru leakage. Seven pieces were actually five to assemble since I made the main box with 2 preassembled "L's", with the cut outs for the body inside cavity added. I did get a little green trying to come thru on the pass fender but it didn't get thru. Plus I Nailed the amount of rubber I mixed up and had like almost Nothing in the bottom of the mix cup too! Not wasting this stuff that's as expensive paint these days makes me feel Good! That's $25 worth of material you see just so far here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 64GalaxieMold2020pt3.jpg  
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 01-20-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Is it spring yet? Was just out in the garage and want to drive the Aspen so bad, and the Mustang also. The wait is driving me insane(or would that be insanER).
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    OK, enough time away from the Aspen. Tomorrow my plan is to get my lazy butt out to the garage and work on the luggage compartment. Still need to get me a mini spare, since a full size isn't even close to fitting the space and my tire cover is made for a donut anyways.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You going with a collapsible doughnut or just one of those skinny things?
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    One of the skinny ones. Only thing that will fit in the spare tire spot above the rear axle.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought about making a bracket off the roll cage above the fuel cell for one of the skinny spares like you are looking at. Then when I'm at car shows I can take it out and place it under the car.

Which is overall physically smaller - the inflatable doughnut or a super skinny?

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    Sweet! I get what you're saying. Sometimes I just figure on not going out for similar reasons, but I needed four things yesterday. At least I was able to get the most important one that kept me moving forward. Got my 1st pour into the mold today. Made my own sprues to dangle 4 seats into the top, plus boot and windshield frame and one seat in the bottom this round. Next I'll have to make mods to what I've got in the bottom to finish that side since I didn't destroy the viability of the body to re-sell it, to do this. Then I'll also add the rear seat into the bottom side of the mold which will be a couple more steps but provide me with 8 total products from the block of rubber. I'll be able to cast 4 at a time on opposite sides although each will be able to cast individually without the rest as sales dictate. Nothing to get rich on, but gratifying and a service to myself and other modelers.

Pretty proud of myself actually. Zero thru leakage. Seven pieces were actually five to assemble since I made the main box with 2 preassembled "L's", with the cut outs for the body inside cavity added. I did get a little green trying to come thru on the pass fender but it didn't get thru. Plus I Nailed the amount of rubber I mixed up and had like almost Nothing in the bottom of the mix cup too! Not wasting this stuff that's as expensive paint these days makes me feel Good! That's $25 worth of material you see just so far here.
    How many hobbies do you have??????????

United States
    Thanks
    The inflatable is wider when deflated, and wouldn't fit either. I only want a spare for peace of mind (a just in case thing). I mean really, how many times have you had to put the spare on? For me it's a grand total of once, back in 1982. That was on my Barracuda and, as most of us had when we were teenagers, usually not what you would call new tires or even old ones with a lot of tread on them. My Barracuda had an inflatable but the inflation canister was AWOL so, I put a full size in instead.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    The inflatable is wider when deflated, and wouldn't fit either. I only want a spare for peace of mind (a just in case thing). I mean really, how many times have you had to put the spare on? For me it's a grand total of once, back in 1982. That was on my Barracuda and, as most of us had when we were teenagers, usually not what you would call new tires or even old ones with a lot of tread on them. My Barracuda had an inflatable but the inflation canister was AWOL so, I put a full size in instead.
    Too funny, I believe the last flat I changed was a bias ply on my T/A when I was in the army. And that was __ years ago! Hate to think how many years have flown by....

I want a spare for piece of mind too. Then as I said, I can place it under the car at car shows. I will take a look at Summit for a 4" front drag wheel, that would be a good 50mph tire to get the car someplace for repair.