Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: Took the car out for a drive this evening, window down, heater cranked. Wish it wasn't so friggin' cold out.............Anyways, the resonators were worth the money and the aches and pains from putting them on yesterday. Nice deep tone, and even on accel there's no more crack/rap high tones anymore. Guess I'd describe it as a deep roar. Much nicer than before and it sounds AWESOME! With the window closed, a noticeable reduction in interior noise too. Might seem strange but, it's like a whole different car now. My only regret is, I didn't do it sooner
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That's COOL! And it looks GREAT!

Not related to your great efforts but I've always wondered how to make a small block sound less tinny. They just don't have that deep resonance. I hear the Mustang guys with their tiny engines making deep tones and wonder how. There's one guy who pulls into work in the morning sounding like his exhaust is blowing bubbles. Rich deep bubbles as he lets off the throttle and decelerates into the parking lot. No idea who it is to ask. Only caught a glimpse of the car once heading toward another gate. But it's always enjoyable to hear it come in if I'm crossing the lot to my gate at the time.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I can't say for sure on a SB but, on my 500" BB the tone is lower now than it was before, even not counting the main thing they did which was reduce the higher tones big time. I would think the same would happen on a smaller engine. It's one of the things I read while researching them. Like a lot of things, the only way to really know is to give it a try and see what happens.

Of course there's other things other than cubic inches and exhaust that make a n engine sound the way it does. Compression ratio, cylinder pressure, cam profile, combustion chamber shape, etc....all change the sound.

Kind of a different thing here but the 3.9L 90 degree V6 in my Dakota has a much lower exhaust note than my Mustang with a 4.0L SOHC 60 degree V-6. To be honest, my Mustang doesn't have an exhaust tone with the stock exhaust, especially at idle. You can walk right behind the car at idle and not even realize it's running, seriously.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:43 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Took the car to work on Thursday and found a whistle from the HVAC control when in MAX AC and OFF. The recirc door still moves but that hiss is annoying as all heck. It's an NOS control assy I put in last year and maybe it's only the hose to the recirc motor came loose.

One snafu. Winter blend gas and warm weather don't mix. I had half a tank left from gas put in last October (winter blend already) and then filled it up in mid April of this year (still winter blend). Any up hill stretch where you have light tip in and load,,,,,,,,,,,,ping, ping, ping, ping. Then when I got home, shut the car off for about 10 minutes before putting it in the garage. Had to floor it and crank, crank. crank and I could smell the raw fuel. It's never done that before, even at 90+ degrees much less the 72 it was Thursday. I need to burn that crap out and get some summer blend in it along with a bottle of octane booster. Since the only station with race fuel at the pump closed last year, it sucks. A gallon of 110 to 17 of 91 octane premium did the trick. Killed the A/F sensor but did the trick nonetheless. I really don't want to chase all the way to Antigo (roughly 35 miles ENE) where there's a station with race fuel just for that. I was to Antigo once, never saw any reason to go back if you know what I mean.

United States
    Thanks
    On the HVAC controls and annoying hiss, it wasn't just a hose leaking. Swapped the push buttons with a spare that I think is good. I have 2 spares but the other one has the same problem, leaks on MAX and OFF. For some unknown reason I wrote that it leaks on the unit instead of tossing it in the trash. There's other things on the shelves with the same deal, not usable but I saved them anyways and not sure why.

Anyways, next time I drive the car I'll see if this control is OK. Wanted to take the car out this evening to see, and to just go for a ride but the dark sky to the west put a kibosh on that plan,,,,,,,,,,,just in case.

United States
    Thanks
    Checked the HVAC this morning and the controls I put in last evening are good. However, in changing it, I created a leak farther down,,,,,,,,,,,DOH! The vacuum source tube came partially out of the connector where the main vacuum harness connects to the jumper harness. Now, all is well in Aspen land.

Oh, the 2 leaking ones are NOT on the shelf anymore. They're in a 45 gallon rolling container that says "Harter's Disposal Service" on the side. Just the push button parts are gone. I wasn't dumb enough to toss the rest of the controls.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Day Ago at 03:58 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    At least you were able to find the parts when you went to replace the defective parts. I have so much around and not enough room there are a lot of times I cannot find what I am looking for and just buy it again. One day I am really going to do some spring cleaning tossing things I have not used in 30 years.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack