Page 22 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm waiting for you to mention what "our" winter projects will be this year One thing I may do is Rhino-line the inner fender wells, from what I read it sticks well to the plastic. That will give chip protection also with some sound deadening. Another item will be applying the 3M clear film paint protector to the chin spoiler. Lastly, I have another customizing project I plan to dive into if all the cards fall in line, more on that later.

Still waiting for an opening with Jason to have him finish the interior items on the Dodge, I'm going to check in with him next week:

- Power windows
    - Power locks
    - Stealth alarm system
    - Rear view camera (since it is difficult to see around the roll cage)
    - Clip mounts for the floor mats
    - Some detail work to the dash controls

This winter I may move the focus back to the Vette for some fine detailing and converting the power windows from the old and slow ribbon style to the scissor style regulator found in the later C4 models. Debating on doing it myself or just have Jason do these too, I do not want to damage the new door panels. Unfortunately they are not cheap at 275 each...

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Decided to tackle the recirc vacuum motor project today. Two choices, take the instrument panel apart to get the lower half off or, pull the recirc/blower housing out. Seemed simple enough, 2 nuts under the hood and a bracket under the dash. Then the sill plate, kick panel, etc. gets removed. Managed to wiggle it out and get the actuator changed. Of course, I couldn't leave it at that and ended up cleaning and painting the metal part of the housing along with blasting and black oxide coating the bolts that hold the blower housing to the recirc housing. When building the car, that was one of the minor things I kind of let go, for the sake of time. After 12 years of work, you have to make priorities if the car will ever be on the road again. See before and after pics.

All set to go back in, same way as it came out. Somehow it got bigger while it was out, lol. It would NOT go back in. Took the blower housing back off, unbolted the actuator so it could move out of the way and still no go. WTF? Took the bolt out of the bottom of the dash so it could be pulled forward a bit and it finally went back in,,,,,,,,,,,just. It's all back together now but it's jobs like this that remind me I'm not 25 years old anymore. It used to be easy working under a dash, not so much anymore. Plus, there's just some things you shouldn't do when you feel like crap because your patience isn't what it normally is.

Up next, back to the long and ongoing luggage compartment finishing project. Hopefully this winter, I'll be able to get it all buttoned up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0012.jpg   DSCF0009.jpg   DSCF0013.jpg   DSCF0014.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    In the process of doing the major winter detailing, check over, and other things like that. Pulled the LF tire off to clean the suspension and wheel well, do a little touch up on the paint, etc. and now,,,,,,let's play "what's wrong with this picture?" It would explain the noise I heard every so often the last few times I drove the car last fall and, the not quite right handling. Wonder when, and how, it made it's departure? Good thing is, they are readily available.

Also adjusted the fender so the door wouldn't rub. The bolt on the mid brace, kind of in the door jamb area, loosened enough to allow the fender to move inwards at that location and then,,,,,,,the edge of the door rubbed and chipped the paint off. Got that put back where it belongs and touched up the chip. It barely clears when the door opens to begin with and it only moved maybe a millimeter but it was enough. At the same time, while the paint and pre-paint cleaner were out, touched up the bigger rock chips in the rockers. It's not perfect but it makes them WAY less obvious unless you really get down and look.

Enough screwing around, back to the garage!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00054.jpg   DSC00051.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 01-01-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

76sassygrassVolare (01-04-2018)

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine front end did that once. There is a lot of vibration and movement there.

United States
    Thanks
    I feel kind of embarrassed it took until now for me to see the missing link.

Aside from that, got everything cleaned and waxed along with some paint touch up on the lower control arm. On to the other side,,,,,,,,,,MUST eat first though. Otherwise I'm going to pass out from hunger, lol. THEN start on the other side.

Not sure why the razzin-frazsin camera wouldn't focus properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00060.jpg  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

76sassygrassVolare (01-04-2018)

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    She looks mint!
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! Actually it is starting to show that it's not a trailer queen but, it's holding up fairly well overall after 5 years. Even on ONLY paved roads you still get rock chips. Big thing that's helping, it's never been in the rain. Come to think of it, other than wet sanding during the build, not a drop of water has touched it since summer of 1996, the year the trans fried and the whole project was put into motion.
    Last edited by aspen79; 01-01-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Canada
    Thanks
    It shows. Well done!
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    The next project that just got added to the list is replace the door opening weather seals. There was a pair of NOS in the box weatherstrips on Ebay. The price made me hesitate to click "Buy it now". Thought about it all night and all day today and decided if I don't do it, I'll kick myself later. I've got the repop ones from Steele on there now and they SUCK. The molded end caps are too thick, wrong shape, wrong material and tear at the slightest touch and the actual seal part is already detached from the end caps at the front of both doors. I am not impressed at all. I guess they're better than the originals they replaced but not by much. Sick of slamming the doors to get them latched all the way and the wind leaks. Should be here in a few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0017.jpg  

Canada
    Thanks
    I can't remember where I got mine. It was Steele or Metro. I bought from both. I didn't mind the fit to bad but I did spend a morning fiddeling with them( the windows) to make them fit.
    I must add I still have my old ones and they seem to look not to bad compared to the originals.
    Last edited by kent; 01-02-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    1980 roadrunner