Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never used VHT paint on anything except my exhaust system.
    Yea, This wasn`t a hi temp paint. Just a VHT epoxy paint. https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP652-Sat.../dp/B000CPIN34

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Got it covered now. Walked over to Carquest, next to work, before coming home this evening and picked up some Dupli-Color self etching primer. That should do the trick. Also remembered to get an oil filter and oil also, along with a tube of Ultra-Grey RTV. NOW we're all set to go

Going to try a K&N oil filter. Looks exactly like a WIX to me. Figured the highest price filter SHOULD be the best filter. That's my theory anyways.
    Last edited by aspen79; 12-05-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    Prep is 95% of any paint job they say, and it's true.

Now I only have to resist the urge to start block sanding the pan to get rid of stamping marks and stuff. Can't lie, the thought ran through my mind last evening.

"It's just an oil pan, it's just an oil pan, it's just an oil pan" LOL

Kind of a side note: One of the best paint jobs I ever did was on my first car ('70 Barracuda Gran Coupe). It was basically rattle can black. My uncle gave me some Candy Apple Red enamel he had on the shelf in his shop. I mask the car off, along with a stripe pattern, scuffed the paint and started spraying, using a Sears siphon feed spray gun made more for house paint than automotive. It was raining out, temps around 45 degrees and sprayed it in my parents open garage. Didn't worry about technique or anything because I assumed it wouldn't come out very good no matter what. Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,that paint came out perfectly even, not a speck of orange peel and looked like glass. Afterwards wished I'd have spent a little more time on surface prep but the car looked 1000% better than it ever did as long as I'd owned it. In theory it should have come out like crap with that spray gun and especially those weather conditions though.
    I can tell you exactly why that paintjob turned out so well.
    1. It was raining and that knocked down all the dust.
    2. It was cold so that rain didn't produce humidity so it didn't cause any fogging of the paint.
    3. It was cold enough to be well below your reducer's active range which allowed the paint to flow out and create a more glassy finish.

If I am certain of my dust conditions I always use a reducer for a higher temp range than I'm working with. That has always been my secret of shooting smooth single stage enamels.

I once shot a truck in the back of a bay of the large fab shop I worked at when younger. Dirt floor and 27 degrees of snow cover outside. Nothing but a couple overhead gas heaters near the truck running cuz I wasn't trying to heat the whole place on the weekend. I used low temp reducer, but was nowhere near that temp. Flowed out like glass as usual!

Don't obsess over imperfections like stamping ripples. They are supposed to be there. Same goes for a lot of things about an F-body in general. I am Not over restoring the Sunrise. Quite the contrary. I have intentionally left flaws which belong there. I'm not talking about poor prep. I mean actual flaws that were present in the stampings being left, or recreated with a hammer and dolly on new steel. That's just me and this car tho. But I kinda hope it's you too. We know what these are, and how they are. So there's little reason to get all Mainstream Mopar anal retentive about it and take the fun away from what guys like us F-body fans generally do. Enjoy the crap out of our modified cars!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Too late for obsessing over manufacturing marks, stamping ripples, and flaws on this car. That went out the window a long time ago, trust me..............Put it this way, I probably have at least 10 hours in each upper control arm, seriously. May have mentioned it already but the project went way out of control, the snowball got to gigantic dimensions and I said "might as well" and "while I'm at it" a few thousand time each.

To think it all started out as a trans overhaul and a little body and paint touch up. Next thing I knew the car was stripped to a bare shell. Over 10 years of work later (and don't know how much money, don't WANT to know how much money) and it was like "what the f*** just happened?" lol
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, but the end result was worth it wasn`t it ? Yours is the most detailed resto I have seen. While not considered a true restoration as you removed the factory rough spots and messed with the original drivetrain (oh no !!!) I`m sure some purist is rolling over in his grave. I hope mine turns out close to how nice yours does even if it does take me 10 years to complete.

United States
    Thanks
    I agree, I wish my car would look that nice one day. Beautiful car.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Ten hours on control arms? That's not snowballing. That's an avalanche!

Well I guess you know what you've gota do here then. Smooth it perfectly. Paint. And then bedazzle it to replace the anodize bling!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member KCFAN58's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Not a Aspen, but just got this 76 Duster with a 360/727 to start working on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duster.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	3617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duster pas side.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	3618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duster front.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	3619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duster hood.jpg 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	3620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duster drivers side.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	3621
    Mopar or No car!

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator 80 Aspen RT's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That looks like a cool ride Mike!

United States
    Thanks
    My first resto project was a 73 Duster. I love them. I had the car stripped down and was putting floors in it until I found the frame was so bad that it took all the wind out of my sail. I ended up cutting the car up and parting it out.