Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've kept some random tidbits from cars I had when I was young too. A friend nearly killed a man mowing his yard when the spring punched through his trunk in a curve one day and I never owned another late B-body again after that until recently. This one's practically rust free, so I feel well enough about it. No way I was going to even look at the usual beat down rust belt cars that were in my budget back then knowing what could happen.

But yeah, that lense is what's trying to pull loose from mine. I got several extras of those also when I was building mine. But the chrome housings and front signals were really difficult to find. To get good chrome I had to use one side that had a cornering lamp while my car didn't originally have them either. So I went ahead and drilled then filed open the other to match and just added extra sockets hooked to the turn signal circuit in them both. I was thinking about trying to make new turn signals in clear resin. I've made windshields for model cars before. I'm sure it would take having a vacuum chamber and pressure pot to make something of that size clear and bubble free. And the size I need for modelling is more than the $99 ones available everywhere anyhow. Dangit. I really hope these new glasses are good. Looking forward to enjoying vision again and all the dumb stuff it would let me do!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My 'Doba had the spring shackles punch through the trunk, twice. My first repair rusted off, the second time I made the mounts from 1/8" steel. It was good for quite a while but when the front spring hanger came inside the car under the back seat, that was the straw. Kind of sucked because the body didn't have much rust. Just a little in the 1/4's over the wheels and the outer corners of the trunk lid. Even the underside, floors, etc were fairly good and the interior was close to mint, even with a gazillion miles. The odometer showed 98,XXX and it was on it's 3rd time around. Another couple thousand miles, it would have made 300,000. Came THIS close. Unfortunately, it was the critical areas that had the rot. If I had the car now, I'd fix it but at the time,,,,,,it wasn't really an option. One my favorite cars I've ever owned and was sad to see it go down the road on a rollback that said "Yaeger's Auto Salvage" on the side.

I've even still got some odd's and ends from my first car of 39 years ago when I was 17, a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe. Not necessarily from that exact car but extra stuff I grabbed at salvage yards. Remember when there were E-bodies in the yards and the parts off them were cheap to almost free? It was a looooooooooong time ago.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post

I've even still got some odd's and ends from my first car of 39 years ago when I was 17, a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe. Not necessarily from that exact car but extra stuff I grabbed at salvage yards. Remember when there were E-bodies in the yards and the parts off them were cheap to almost free? It was a looooooooooong time ago.
    That is cool. I had a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe with a 383, 833 and 3.91's in the rear. That was a good car. I still don't know why I got rid of it. I had it when I got the job at the Dodge dealer in 1977.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine was delete optioned to a 318 but had a 4-speed and 3.23 SG, lighting pkg, pedal dress up, delay lighting, 6-way drivers seat, AM/FM/ 5 speaker stereo, variable speed wipers, rallye dash (might have been standard on a GC) and some other options but,, manual steering, manual 10" drum brakes...………..Whoever ordered the car had some weird ideas. Like they wanted all the fancy stuff but wanted to build up their arms with manual steering and had no desire to for the car to actually stop. Guess I shouldn't complain, a buddy had a '70 Challenger RT/SE with a 383, 4-speed, 11" manual drum (which was night and day compared to the 10") and manual steering with a Tuff wheel. Sitting still, turning the wheels wasn't even an option!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver