Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Only car I've ever owned that was slower was a '76 Colt I had in 1984. 1.6L, 3 speed auto (half scale Torqueflite), what a pooch! Don't know what the rear gears were but with the tiny 13" wheels it was screaming about 4,000 rpm at the then 55 national limit. Flat to the boards, on level ground, I got it up to the break neck speed of 68 once. Same as the TC3, gutless and crappy mileage. Best I ever remember it getting was 21 mpg. Other downside was NO HEAT. Tiny aluminum engine couldn't make enough heat for the heater to work. At one point I took the fan blade off and blocked the entire front of the car off, still very little heat. The thermostat would never even open. Bad car when it's -20 out. Think VW Beetle heat output. Yeah I know, but it was rust free (it seemed) and it was $100. Turns out, it was rust free EXCEPT the strut towers. A few months later, the towers started tipping in and I knew the end was near. One day the left strut, with part of the tower attached, bent the hood up and that was the nail as they say. Rest of the car was almost perfect and the interior was in beautiful shape. Sold it for $100 to some guy who had the time and equipment to fix it. I had neither at the time, not even a garage. Car #2 that I don't miss in the least.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had a number of disappointing cars but the L and K cars weren't the worst of them. I actually sort of enjoyed the K cars.
    71 Opal GT was a neat little around town car. Not much good on the highway. Although it could eventually get mid 80's after a few miles of holding it to the floor on a back road. 77 Mustang coupe, what a slug. Could barely top 63 flat out. Could not understand that as my 77 Pinto was pretty peppy. I even tried advancing the cam a tooth, which made things even worse if that's imaginable. But truly the most awful was a 89 Chevy Sprint. 3cyl Suzuki engine with 48bhp. 5spd with an aluminium throw out sleeve. 12" tires that belonged on a garden cart. Passing a car going under the speed limit required a mile to achieve the momentum. And any sudden oncoming traffic could make that start all over and take another mile. But I kept my drivers license on that two point extension til it started clearing up and I could break out a Volare Roadrunner again.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The slowest car I ever owned was a 77 Vega wagon. That thing was lucky it got up to 50 mph from stop light to stop light all while it was overheating in the process. My worst car by far. The TC3 was a sprint car compared to that. LOL
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:21 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    The absolute slowest car I've ever driven was a '76 Mustang II, 2.3L automatic. It was so slow, it was dangerous. Slowest truck was an '81 or '82 Ranger S, 2.0L, 4-speed stick. Those things couldn't get out their own way.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:08 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    OMG, 86 S10 Blazer 4x4 with the 2.8L. That thing couldn't even hold overdrive on level ground against the wind at 60!
    About worse, 83 Caravan with carbed 2.2L.

Same thing as you say about that Mustang-II I had. It was practically dangerous to be so slow. Not sure why that one was so awful tho. I took the peg out of the speedo on the Spring Special 77 Pinto and could wrap that baby all the way down til it centered the highbeam indicator and it was also an automatic. I actually beat a 307 4spd 69 Camaro with it! My 82 with the 4spdOD wasn't fast, but wasn't a slug. The 84 Capri RS Turbo ran 13.90's bone stock. Just that one particular one sucked. Wonder if they had a run of bad cams or were experimenting with emissions or something? They almost had to keep making 77's instead of even having a 78 model because of the Clean Air Act requirements. But figured it out at the last minute. Which kinda makes me giggle cuz Mopar finally figured out how to recertify the E58 360-4 for emissions just prior to '78 launch.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    Which kinda makes me giggle cuz Mopar finally figured out how to recertify the E58 360-4 for emissions just prior to '78 launch.
    I know that all too well. I had my 77 ordered from September until late December with the E58 option and the factory finally told me if I wanted the car I would have to reorder it with an E57 so that is what I did. I kinda wish I would have waited.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    With only 60 Aspen's made in 77 getting the E58, you'd really have a n unusual and rare car today. But then again, who knows if being on the list since September would have gotten you one of them.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    My next not necessarily OFF season project is to hook up the w/s washers. I'll never use them or even put fluid in the reservoir but it's one of those stupid things that bugs me every time I open the hood. Plus, just in the unlikely case I ever get stopped for a random safety inspection, it's the only thing that would not pass. You don't have to actually have fluid, just has to be there and the pump run when the switch is pressed. Chances of ever getting inspected are slim to none and I'm not even sure if they (State Patrol) do that anymore (they really should though, with some of the completely junk cars and trucks driving on the roads), but you never know. I've got the reservoir, pump and nozzles on the car, nothing in between.

Does anyone have a photo or photo's of the hoses and T's? If I'm gong to do it, may as well do it correctly, correct?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    With only 60 Aspen's made in 77 getting the E58, you'd really have a n unusual and rare car today. But then again, who knows if being on the list since September would have gotten you one of them.
    Hard to tell but I know the order was still viable for the E58 until I reordered with the E57.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopars1 View Post
    Hard to tell but I know the order was still viable for the E58 until I reordered with the E57.
    Well you certainly got a magnificent car that isn't just alike the rest that look similar either way. And to be a reunited original owner who can lay claim to everything that's ever been done to the car except the passing of time is an incredible story to share.
    Volare Magnet

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

Mopars1 (2 Weeks Ago)