Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm confident the higher speed (above 45) vibration will be gone now and cautiously confident the car will stop good and stop straight. Also, once I get it down to work and do an alignment, it should drive/handle much better and not continue chewing the front tires all to heck. Hopefully the upper control arm bracket shims did the job and the "towers" don't flex any farther and mess up the camber and toe. Still can't believe I didn't notice the tires wearing earlier,it's embarrassing, especially since I'm an auto tech and am on the lookout for things like that everyday at work.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That'll be nice for sure! I almost went for a drive in our RR yesterday but there was too much other stuff going on. I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids. And Scooby Doo too. LOL!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Sadly, I won't be driving the Aspen for at LEAST another 3 months, more likely four, hopefully not five though.

Yeah, those meddling kids are always finding a mystery to solve, lol!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Here in the protection of the Lake Erie watershed we've had very late winters for nearly a decade. There was a marked and sudden change in climate then that's made all the seasons late by at least a month since. I was up on a roof repairing from a wind storm last Monday and overheating in a sweatshirt. We've had a couple little snows but overall it doesn't really hit us here near the coast until very late. We get a lot of 30-50 degree days until the hammer comes down. Everybody wants to be the first to get their cars out in spring but come May it's still a little nasty here. That doesn't mean we won't be looking for a chance to go cruise this weekend tho!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    If we can get the cars out by the end of May, we're doing good. It's not that there's snow or anything but the roads are crusted with salt and there's sand/small rocks everywhere. We have to wait for a couple good rains to wash the salt away and then the street sweepers to get rid of the sand and rocks. Sand might not seem like much but it does bad things to paint behind the tires (and anodized aluminum wheel opening trim), not to mention the rocks and stone chips they cause.

United States
    Thanks
    Totally get that. Similar here although they use salt. The plows dig up the berms and throw crap all over the roads. Oh, and everybodies front yards for about 15 feet in. Eventually they redo the berms every year so they can do it again!

So the wife gets home from work yesterday and says, "Let's get our weekend running done before the snow." Yep. Sure enough. Started a little after ten and gave us an inch plus. Currently sleeting on top of it. So it's going to back up to 40 some time today or by Monday anyhow according to her but the weekend cruise is out. Figures. At least we aren't up in Michigan where they've been getting it for a couple days and it's not even the first time they've been hit. Funny how so close can be so different just a little northwest and even our south while that big body of water to our north makes all the difference to us. Of course that stupid water brings tourists all the rest of the year, so it's definitely not without it's bad points.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    We have salt spread by the tons and worse, much worse, a liquid brine solution. That stuff causes corrosion 10 times more severe than plain rock salt does. It's a different kind of corrosion/rust that you have to see to believe it's even possible. They also spread a lot of sand, especially when there's ice and it's too cold for salt to do anything and at intersections on side streets. The little rocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,mixed in with the sand(?) or from unpaved shoulders, not sure where exactly they come from. Either way, until the streets and roads have all been cleaned, the summer cars stay indoors. New batch of salt added to the total today, after 8" of snow last night and this morning here in north central Wisconsin.

Since I got everything snow blowed and shoveled now (before the temps start dropping and wind kicks in at 25-30 mph, gusting to 40 this afternoon) looks like a good day to go out to the garage and spend some quality time with the 'ol Aspen. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do on it but, I'll find something. Probably dive back into the luggage compartment project. It's 80% done but there's still work to be done.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Lucked out today with only a little snow. They did coat everything with brine though.

United States
    Thanks
    Didn't really get that far with any off season Aspen project. A little in the trunk but it reminded me I need to get some Velcro tape and no way I'm going out to Menard's right now to get some (12 degrees, 30 mph NW wind, blowing snow,,,,,,all sorts of not nice out). Did take care of some minor things on the list like tightening the shift knob set screw,,,,,,,,again, replacing the burned out brake lamp bulb, stuff like that.

United States
    Thanks
    12F and gusty is too cold for Menards? Say it aint so!??! I may live in a nice little protected area on the top back side of a river valley from the weather that gets sucked into the Lake, but it's always gusty here except around 7-8PM oddly and I don't even put a coat on til it goes under 30 with wind. Unless I plan on standing around doing nothing. Then I'll dress to stay warm for nothing. We get a lot of 30-40 mph gusts regularly. It's the not so unusual 60 plus winds that I have everything buttoned down for though. Just had a nasty straight line storm a few months ago that tore through area towns yards and woods like a Tornado! Topped trees and blew narrow holes right thru woods. Like it would just blast a 50-70 foot wide crop top about 20 feet off the ground half a mile deep. Craziness! But anyhow, that's probably more for the Weather Channel post despite this being an off-season winter project post to discuss what hinders us as well as triumphs. So I'll add that I did not do one stinking thing with the Mustang (I'm Still waiting on gas tank straps to help me locate that sucker, even longer story) and only went out to the garage twice to get stuff I needed in the basement. But I've made Great progress with organizing my model car stuff into these cool stackable plastic containers with moveable partitions I got in the fishing department. And today I even started working on producing a multi use, multi product mold that will allow me to sell much needed by hobbyists 1/25 scale AMT 1963-64 Ford Galaxie, and also 66-69 Fairlane/ Torino convertible windshield frames/ boots/ plus front seats for 64, 66, and 69 -Cobra kits. I may even be able to think out how to add the other specifically patterned seats for both the 68 and 69 GT versions before I get to actual molding so I get as much use as possible from one production. So I might not be going outside, but I'm still working on my cars. Well actually I'm working on restoring my dad's cars built in his youth, that have parts to replace that were broken or simply went missing over decades of storage. Since I've accumulated these parts now at great expense (not as 1:1 cars go) I figure it's best to reproduce them and resell the originals then make my parts available to others for their mutual needs which have been expressed to be prevalent in the hobby. Buuuuut anyhow.... Again... Here's Stage-1 of Mold development to create the best possible and most varied amount of product in one shot, which will be able to be cast in individual or stepped stages as well. There will be four more stages to this product to completion. Which is much easier than dealing with Interwebby stuff or I'd have this Site upgraded for much less than it's guna cost me to pay somebody else and there'd already be a Model Forum on here...

Geez I'm exhausted from writing all that? Are you exhausted from reading it? Alright. I need to EAT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 64GalaxieMold2020pt1.jpg  
    Volare Magnet