Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice job. I didn't take quite as much time with mine but they don't look terrible.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    In an attempt to reduce or eliminate the hot, part throttle (like up a grade) spark knock problem I researched and cross referenced, etc to find a plug one step colder than the NGK XR5's. There is no XR6 but there is a BR6 which is a step colder so, that's what I got. Oddly, they're listed for '48-'68 Chrysler 230 flathead 6 along with '50's/early '60's Chevy sb (cringe). Same 14mm x 1.25 thread, same .380" reach. Got them all changed and I really hope I never have to change the passenger side plugs ever again. Must be getting old, I don't remember them being THAT much of a PITA. Even though I'm a calm person that doesn't get mad easily, there were a few choice expletives said during the process, lol. See photo's and you will understand.

If it didn't look like impending storms, I'd go try it out but we'll wait..........

You can see the difference in the firing end insulator of the different heat ranges. Will it do the trick? Only time will tell. Filling the tank with fresh SUMMER BLEND fuel won't hurt matters either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00445.JPG   DSC00446.JPG   DSC00448.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I don't know if you are running with a vacuum advance unit on the distributor but I have eliminated light throttle high vacuum situations by backing off the amount of advance the pot gives you with a small allen wrench.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    I actually had tried it once with the vacuum advance disconnected and no change. Where it would ping is on uphill grades where the vacuum advance wouldn't be an issue (steep enough).

Preliminary results are good. Took the car out a little bit ago, went up to a gas station and filled the tank (took 9.5 gals). Then went around to a hill that it ALWAYS spark knocked on, regardless of air temp and,,,,,,,,,,,,,not a peep. It's a long, very steep grade where the engine is under a good load and the speed limit is 35 mph. Don't know the grade % but you go from 1,100 feet, to a little over 1,600, then back down to about 1,100 in under a mile. Bad air this morning too. At the time it was already 78 degrees with the same number for humidity (can you say muggy?). Engine up to full temp, center of the gauge, and A/C cranked so if it was going to ping, it would have.

Might be my imagination but it also seems like it runs better. There's always been a slight hesitation from a stop if the throttle was opened too quick. That seems to be gone now and the exhaust note just sounds smoother somehow. Is it fixed? I am cautiously optimistic
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been noticing that our vehicles are getting better gas mileage lately on today's gas than they have on summer blend in previous years. Not just tenths but whole numbers. 2-3mpg. I think with the whole C19 relief and cheap oil that we're getting a higher petroleum mix, better gas, than previous years currently instead of so much ethanol crap. Real gas always causes my old cars to burn richer, which would help your situation too.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I've always used only ethanol free premium 91 in the Aspen but the fuel quality could be better now than in the past. I still had half a tank of winter blend so now I've got more like spring blend fuel? lol There used to be 93 octane but it wasn't guaranteed ethanol free and I don't know of any station that has it anymore so, 91 octane is it.

In my Dakota and Mustang, I just use "may contain up to 10% ethanol" 87 but occasionally have put ethanol free 87 in the Dakota, not sure if I ever noticed any difference though. Neither one are flex fuel vehicles but they can still adjust for the fuel quality, especially the Mustang. Truth is, if you test the "up to 10%" stuff, it usually has only 0-4" ethanol anyways with zero being more common a number, at least in this area anyways.

Either way, I'm happy the pinging is no longer an issue, at least it seems so far.

United States
    Thanks
    Pulled the cyl 1 plug, the only one easy to get at (lol) and it looks fine. There's always a chance going to a colder plug would fix one problem and create another (i.e. fouling) but I think they're going to be just fine.

United States
    Thanks
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport