Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Found I have another winter Aspen project. Remembered I never put Sta-Bil in the fuel so,,,,,,,,,,,,,dumped some in and went to back it out of the garage to run for a while. Crank, crank, crank,,,,,,nothing. Check for fuel from the pump nozzles, yep. Tried it again and nothing, not even a pop. Grumble.......... Ran fine when I parked it there a couple months ago. Hmmmmmmmm. Check for fire, nada. Haven't dug into it yet to see if it's the coil, module, pick up coil or what that decided to puke for some reason. Guess it picked a good spot to not start, in the garage. Can't imagine what could have failed while the car was just sitting there, untouched, with the battery disconnected. Odd. No, there are no mice in my garage, lol.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    The ignition box red wire was not tight at the battery terminal and it had me checking everything until I found it. It was just cranking and cranking.

United States
    Thanks
    It turned out to be a very similar problem. The power wire to the module had a loose connection at the module.

I had a remote starter hooked up and checked for a pulse from the pick up coil and it was good. Checked for ignition power at the module and had none. Unplugged the connector and there was battery voltage with the key on. Crimped the terminal slightly and plugged it back in. Fired right up as soon as the starter engaged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00502.JPG  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Glad you found it without too much trouble BTW, check the expiration date on the sta-bil. It doesn`t last but a year or two once opened. I had some that was turning really dark red (almost brown) in color. Unless you are using the marine version which is more of a blue color.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 11-29-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you found it easily too. I usually go straight to the ICM. Junk parts from Autozone or Advanced either way that just don't last more than 2 years. Tried a NAPA and only got an extra year out of theirs as well.

I had some of the regular Sta-Bil turn brown on me too. Does it also soak up water like the Marine? I've only used the blue stuff for years now.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    My first thought was the ICM. It's the one that came with the distributor (Davis Unified), so it's about 8 years old but obviously not a whole lot of miles. Maybe 3,000 or something like that. Since I've had the car "done", which was 2013, the weather has sucked donkey dicks every summer. Rain, rain, threaten rain, chance of rain, and then about a week of sunny dry days, followed quickly by snow and salt WAY too soon. Then the following year the salt season isn't over with until at least the middle of May but then the rain comes and washes the roads off, but forgets to stop. Viscous cycle. Grumble...........

The date I wrote on the Sta-Bil is 12.22.18 so it's JUST good yet. Still red too. I didn't really have enough so I'm going to get a new bottle and add the additional. Tank is full and I only had 3 oz left. Also reminded me that I never dumped any in the Mustang either. The "season" ended abruptly this year, meaning it went from nice to salt in one day, without much warning.

United States
    Thanks
    I had the red and blue Sta-bil but I tossed it all when I used it on my car one year and the gas still went bad. In all my small engine stuff like ( snow blower, generator, weed wackers, etc) I just use the gas in the can from Home depot. It is suppose to be good for up to 2 years if IIRC and I haven`t had any issues since. I use the Lucas stuff in my car.

United States
    Thanks
    The Aspen has ethanol free premium which doesn't go bad nearly as quick as "up to 10% ethanol" regular seems to. I've yet to have a problem with the red Sta-Bil over the years, mainly in things like the lawn mower or snow blower. They always fire right up when the time comes. Sounds weird but, I can't wait for the day I have to start the lawn mower again!

The Aspen always takes a little more to start in the spring being carbureted and the fuel system going dry but the Mustang starts like it was just shut off an hour ago. Dakota was the same way this fall after sitting the garage for 5 months and I don't really recall if I ever put Sta-Bil in it. Probably did, not sure though. Turn the key, starter barely engages and,,,,,,it's running.

I decided to get a spare ignition module, just in case. Nice surprise to find out the DUI Dyna-Module is MADE IN USA!!!!!! Ordered it and one of those K&N Filter tops finally. I kept thinking about it, never got one. My theory is it'll suck more colder air in through the scoop. Without it, it's mostly hot underhood air which doesn't help any number of things. I've tried to figure out a pan to seal the filter to the hood, there's simply not enough room to do it. Something about 10 lbs of sh*t in a 5 lb bag.........lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0001 (1).jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 11-29-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If you step up to a K&N or Specter 14x3 filter, put a K&N wrap around the element to keep it clean. It works great to keep the fine crap out of the filter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23eaa4ba0dd443ffbdab42fc784c7e14.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	6510

It looks good too.

United States
    Thanks
    My filter top came today. Guess what, it will only fit with a K&N filter element, not a standard paper one. No biggie, just wish they'd have mentioned that. I'd have ordered a filter at the same time. Maybe it does say somewhere and I overlooked it. Besides, it just wouldn't look right with the white filter and red filter top, lol.