Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Once it's hooked up and,,,,,,,,,,,IF IT EVER STOPS RAINING, a little tire smoke may be in order.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'll get the bleach pit prepped and wait for it to dry up a little for ya!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    A video would be nice!

United States
    Thanks
    I'll see what I can do about a video. Have to find a way to post it since I deleted my You Tube acct a couple years ago (had my reasons). Maybe today I'll make it out to the garage and get the throttle bracket modified so everything is set when the thick base gasket and fuel feed line gets here in a couple days. Yesterday was one of those days where i woke up early, got to the bank and back home before 8 am and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ended up sleeping half the day and battling a sinus headache. I hate when that happens and you end up wasting an entire Saturday.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Man that sucks.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Got the throttle cable bracket modified to fit. Then found the bracket I had made, that goes from the bracket to the right rear carb stud (to stabilize the throttle bracket) didn't fit. It interfered with the secondary pump arm. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,modified that piece and it should work fine. Also took the opportunity to give it a fake gold cad look. I've had a 3 step kit from Eastwood for years and really only used it on the wiper motor. Surprisingly, all 3 cans are still good(!) Previously I had the bracket painted Detail Silver. Now it doesn't look so out of place. Then discovered the carb stud from the Summit carb didn't work as it was. Cut it down and threaded the stud all the way to the tall wrench hex it has and, success. All I need is that darn fuel line and gasket and we're all set. Well that and for it to STOP RAINING!!!!!

Checked the carb specs and the OOTB jetting is very close to what I ended up with in the Summit carb. Primary and secondary are only a couple numbers larger so maybe I won't need to mess with them.
    Last edited by aspen79; 04-11-2021 at 05:12 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    On my Quick Fuel I had a blocked secondary power valve so I took the block out and installed the 6.5 power valve. As I tuned it I ended up going down in jet size 8 numbers. I may have to drop another two sizes. I will see what it does once my shoulder heals and I can get it back on the road.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    OK. at long last the carb is bolted on and hooked up. Well, except for the throttle cable hairpin. Picked it up to install and,,,,,,,,,dropped it next to the engine. It went through a time/space portal into another universe so, I'll grab a new one at work tomorrow.

What an ordeal. First was the fuel inlet tube being longer on a double pumper. Got the correct one and put it on. Set the carb on the manifold and found the tube hit the manifold and held the carb up almost 1/4" since the bowl inlets are lower on this carb. Hmmm,,first thought was bend the inlet tubes. Took about 5 seconds to decide that wasn't the answer. Stacked a pair of 1/4" base gaskets (as a test) and that gave the needed room but then,,,,,the air filter hit the hood. Took the 1/2" spacer out of the filter base and that solved the hood clearance but then it hit the top of the float adjusting screws so it didn't seat tight on the air horn. Using 2 air horn gaskets takes care of that and gives JUST enough space so the base clears the float screws. So,,,,,,ordered up a 1/2" phenolic carb spacer (and waited again). It came today and works good. Of course the fuel line inlet is now 1/2" farther back so my fuel line didn't reach. Made up a new piece an inch longer to go behind the filter and all is well.

Definition of "frustration": Getting braided SS hose into the fitting. Kept thinking it would be awesome if I had one of those tools made for the process. If I was going to do it frequently, a tool kit would be on the shelf, lol.

I'd fire it up and back the car out of the garage to run awhile except it's about 1 degree out (actually it's like 28) and also snowing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00527.jpg   DSC00528.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 04-20-2021 at 08:36 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    What an ordeal. Glad you could fire it up. Oh, on the snow thing, I had snow this afternoon. Very unusual where I am East of St. Louis by 20 miles.

On another note, I took the Aspen down from sitting on jacks stands for the last 6 months. Wiped it down. Turned on the fuel pump and pumped the throttle three times and fired the engine. Let it run for a little bit and then me and the wife took off for a cruise. I ended up at a friends house several miles from home and had about an hour visit. I went to fire the engine and put on a few more miles and it wouldn't start. I cranked for a while and it just didn't catch. I finally got out and checked for spark, I knew it had fuel, and found no spark from the coil. I have parts ordered as I don't know yet if the MSD unit is bad or the coil. So the car is sitting in my friends pole barn.
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport

United States
    Thanks
    No pain no gain. LOL Sure looks nice though.