Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Got hit with the same thing yesterday. Doesn't look any nicer today, but at least it is dry. Yep. Inside work.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Got the float levels set this morning and a preliminary adjustment of the idle screws done by ear only. Went on a short test rid and think I'm going to like this carb. Only had a short window to do anything while everything was dry so I only went a couple miles but so far, so good. Going around 35 mph and I tromped on it. Pretty much resulted in tire smoke. DAMN! Seeing the dark gray clouds just to the west, the window started to close so the rest will have to wait. Looking at the forecast, wait means next Thursday and Friday and as luck would have it,,,,,,,,,,,I took both those days off from work so I hope the forecast is accurate. Next is a vacuum gauge and tach hooked up to do some fine tuning. According to the A/F gauge, it appears, right now, that the main jets are going to be good as is.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    One last tweak. Adjusted the choke cap leaner. Noticed for the 1st minute or so after a cold start, WAY too rich. With less spring pressure, the choke plate opens more after start up, before the choke coil heats up, and it seems to be good to go now. Ran like a bad choke pull off diaphragm, if it had one.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    I have question. The passenger seat in my Aspen is closer to the door than the drivers seat and, it sits at a slight angle towards the door. Is that the way they all are? Mine's been that way since the day I bought it in '87, both with the original seats and the one's in there now. It's one of those things that bugs me when I notice it. The car was crashed and repaired before I got it so maybe the floor is tweaked(?) I know the RF fender, cowl side panel and rocker were replaced with new parts, along with the cowl top and outer part of the toe plate being straightened. There's also a section of the LR 1/4, part of the tail panel and part of the trunk floor being welded in from a different car.

Probably not much I can do about it at this point but I just have to know!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    They finally decided to sit that passenger seat level in the car in 80 with a taller outer track. So your old repairs are probably proper and nothing to do with the cockeyed seat. I've never tested it or even looked at PN's but would bet that a 5thA or Diplomat outer seat track could make the older cars look better. You don't see uneven seats in those and it's the same floor pan at least thru 86. Even after they changed the floor stamping, it's still fitted over the same trans crossmember. So you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a taller track. Or you could always just add a 1/4" shim to your own outer track studs.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I may shim the outer track up then so it looks right. It's sort of silly the way they're made. If you put the seat forward very far, the door won't close because the armrest hits the seat back. Must be one of those "oops" engineering moments. Reminds me of a car (maybe a '68-'69 Olds or Buick?) where they put sport mirrors on and then the vent windows could only open about 1/3 of the way. OOPS.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, and the dash seems too close even with the seat all the way back. After I bumped my head getting in. I'm not made for sliding in from that side. Even do it on late models. I don't get it. I can roll in and out from the left easy enough. So I'm grateful to just be chauffeur. I had to laugh yesterday that I kept swinging my leg out wide to keep from getting burnt on a side pipe the car we drove doesn't even have. Lol! One purple pipe scar on the back of your leg will cure a guy from doing it twice.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I know that feeling from "back in the day"! The guy that owned the car warned me but, by the time we went to get out,,,,,,,,,,,,I forgot. Ouch. Of course, I was wearing shorts at the time.

What I notice is, the drivers seat doesn't go back far enough. I'm just shy of 5' 10" and it feels too close even with the seat all the way back. My Dakota is the same way. The backrest is against the rear of the cab and it's still to darn close. Always feel like my knees are bent so much and the wheel is too close. It is what it is I suppose.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 04:01 PM.