Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Since the Aspen hasn't been run in at least 3 weeks (thank you crap weather) I took it out for a little bit this evening. Seems there's no way to make the choke work good. I've got it set 3 notches lean and it still loads up BAD for the 1st 30-45 seconds and then it opens too quick and it's way lean and stalls at idle and stumbles until the engine warms up some. Can you say one foot on the brake, one on the gas when stopped? Unless I can figure something out, I may just set it full lean, or disconnect it altogether, and deal with the cold engine thing. It's better than sounding like a carb with a bad choke pull off diaphragm. Or, maybe I'll come up with a solution as to why the choke is the way it is. Until then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RUN ER, lol.

Other than that little snafu, I till give the new carb 2 thumbs way up.
    Last edited by aspen79; 06-27-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Finally made my way out to the garage to do some fixing on the Aspen. Last week when I drove it to work, the temp was in the low 40's so i had the temp turned up. After work it was close to 80 so I moved the temp to cold but soon as I tried, the lever lost all resistance. My 1st thought was it unhooked from the blend door but there is no resistance so there's no way the cable was still attached to the control lever. Pulled the HVAC control out and sure enough, no cable. It came out of the bear trap clip that holds the housing adjustment and fell off the lever pin. Little push retainer was no where to be seen, and the cable was awol as well. Where did it go? I looked and looked and, nothing. Pulled the knee panel off under the steering column and still couldn't see it. WTF???? Eventually I spotted the housing coming out behind the duct work. It had ended up against the dash pad and the end was on top of the instrument carrier. Doesn't help when it's a black cable, coming out between black duct work, with a black carrier, and black wire harnesses, and I have 57 year old eyes with bifocals that are in dire need of replacing. Got it all hooked back up, made sure it was fully in the bear trap clip. Looked through my spare small parts bins and got lucky. Found a cable retainer clip! All is well with the temp control again.

Same trip, on the way home when I turned onto Hwy KK, I heard a metallic clang, clang across the road and figured I has run over something. Shortly after that was a loud THUNK" on the floor pan. Left sway bar link bolt had broken,,,,,,,,,again, and the washers and insulators were gone, along with the nut plate. Was going to order a set but then got a brainstorm (look out, lol). I have a couple extra nut plates and the washers/insulators on my old KYB shocks looked the same. Sure enough. The indexing rubber portion fit the sway bar hole exactly. Opened the washers up a tad so a 7/16" bolt would fit. Got a couple grade 8 bolts and,,,,,,,,,,good as new. It looks 100% stock.

Discovered one thing that's really irritating however. Lying under the car putting the link in, it was obvious I'm not 25 anymore, especially everytime I had to stand up Oh to have a lift at home! Never happen but it sure would be nice. I'm still just not liking this getting old thing one little bit.
    Last edited by aspen79; 09-11-2021 at 07:46 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Decided this winter is the time to FINALLY get my new tires for the Aspen, and ditch the BFG's. The fronts have plenty of tread except the inside edge got worn down quite a bit pre-upper control arm TSB shim repair. Was at least 2 degrees neg camber and an inch toed out. Still embarrassed I never noticed until working on the car and looking at the front tires. It was a WTF moment. Explained why it seemed to drive odd, hard to keep going straight and on curves it was constant correction. As an auto tech, it should have dawned on me what was wrong. Oh well..................

Getting Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T, 235/60R15 front and 255/60R15 rear. Same rear size, one size larger in front. Have 225/60R15 on the front now but, M/T's aren't made in that size. The 225's always looked too short anyways.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Those are the sizes we're running too. I like them. If I had an 8" rear rim it would be nice to go 295/50 out back and get the width at the same height. But it is what it is and since we're still running the Holley 2bbl even, it's not really like holding the 360 to the road is difficult.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I've got 15x8 in the rear, 15x7 front. The rears are custom offset, like a 15x7 with and inch added to the inside. My rea axle is too wide so no other choice (other than narow the axle). Added bonus though, with the extra inch to the inside, 7" trim rings fit perfectly.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh then you could totally go 295/50! They fit beautifully in the wheelhouse and just barely shorter than a 255 in most brands.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    As it is now, IF the suspension moved that far, the fender lip would cut into the sidewall. My rear axle is out of a 1971 Roadrunner (3.23 Sure Grip) which is wider than the '68-'70 8 3/4". Not ideal but it's what was available at the time of the original big block swap back in 1989. Since my budget was,,,,,,,,,,wait, there was no budget so the price was right (free).

Aspen and Volare Member 76Beeper's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Funny thing is the 3.23 Sure grip in my 71 Clonerunner is out of a 1971 C-body. I found out the hard way when I went to install the brake lines from the junction block on the housing.
    I ordered stainless lines from Fine Lines.
    The drivers side was too short & the passenger one was too long as the location of the vent tube moved inboard on a C-body.
    I trimmed the passenger side to work and had to make another one for the drivers side to work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	March 27 (14).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	6965

United States
    Thanks
    I made my own axle lines, obviously the ones in the kit (Inline Tube) were too short. Also modified the master to combi valve lines since they were for power brakes (only way they offered them) and I have manual. I'm not a Marine but can still improvise, overcome, adapt. ( Gunny Highway, Heartbreak Ridge)

Wow, that car sure does look nice underneath!
    Last edited by aspen79; 10-09-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    Oh then you could totally go 295/50! They fit beautifully in the wheelhouse and just barely shorter than a 255 in most brands.
    At one point I ran N50 15's on Cragar SST rims on my 76 RR. Back then it was trick to run the wide rims with air shocks and shackles. Rode like crap but we thought it was cool. Now it is the widest rim under the wheelhouse.

I would love to build a 76/77 Firebird like I had when I was in the Army and run the N50's like we did back then. I had an orange 76 with them too, wish I still had that car....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird angle.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	6966
    Last edited by Stalkervette; 10-10-2021 at 02:05 PM.