Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374

Thread: Aspen off season projects

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Since the Aspen hasn't been run in at least 3 weeks (thank you crap weather) I took it out for a little bit this evening. Seems there's no way to make the choke work good. I've got it set 3 notches lean and it still loads up BAD for the 1st 30-45 seconds and then it opens too quick and it's way lean and stalls at idle and stumbles until the engine warms up some. Can you say one foot on the brake, one on the gas when stopped? Unless I can figure something out, I may just set it full lean, or disconnect it altogether, and deal with the cold engine thing. It's better than sounding like a carb with a bad choke pull off diaphragm. Or, maybe I'll come up with a solution as to why the choke is the way it is. Until then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RUN ER, lol.

Other than that little snafu, I till give the new carb 2 thumbs way up.
    Last edited by aspen79; 06-27-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally made my way out to the garage to do some fixing on the Aspen. Last week when I drove it to work, the temp was in the low 40's so i had the temp turned up. After work it was close to 80 so I moved the temp to cold but soon as I tried, the lever lost all resistance. My 1st thought was it unhooked from the blend door but there is no resistance so there's no way the cable was still attached to the control lever. Pulled the HVAC control out and sure enough, no cable. It came out of the bear trap clip that holds the housing adjustment and fell off the lever pin. Little push retainer was no where to be seen, and the cable was awol as well. Where did it go? I looked and looked and, nothing. Pulled the knee panel off under the steering column and still couldn't see it. WTF???? Eventually I spotted the housing coming out behind the duct work. It had ended up against the dash pad and the end was on top of the instrument carrier. Doesn't help when it's a black cable, coming out between black duct work, with a black carrier, and black wire harnesses, and I have 57 year old eyes with bifocals that are in dire need of replacing. Got it all hooked back up, made sure it was fully in the bear trap clip. Looked through my spare small parts bins and got lucky. Found a cable retainer clip! All is well with the temp control again.

Same trip, on the way home when I turned onto Hwy KK, I heard a metallic clang, clang across the road and figured I has run over something. Shortly after that was a loud THUNK" on the floor pan. Left sway bar link bolt had broken,,,,,,,,,again, and the washers and insulators were gone, along with the nut plate. Was going to order a set but then got a brainstorm (look out, lol). I have a couple extra nut plates and the washers/insulators on my old KYB shocks looked the same. Sure enough. The indexing rubber portion fit the sway bar hole exactly. Opened the washers up a tad so a 7/16" bolt would fit. Got a couple grade 8 bolts and,,,,,,,,,,good as new. It looks 100% stock.

Discovered one thing that's really irritating however. Lying under the car putting the link in, it was obvious I'm not 25 anymore, especially everytime I had to stand up Oh to have a lift at home! Never happen but it sure would be nice. I'm still just not liking this getting old thing one little bit.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:46 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver