Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 367684858687 LastLast

Thread: Aspen off season projects

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    80 shares a lot in common with the 2nd gen M bodies.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what it is. Thanks to a very knowledgeable person, figured out that late '79 F's had the '80 version of the plate. Mine was built June 23, 1979 and the plate was replaced with a new one in 1989. The '80 f's hood doesn't go all the way to the front so, it has to pop open further. That and the same plate goes on Diplomat/LeBaron. Trivial thing that isn't important but, it's always nice to know.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Owned since 1987, big block since 1989
    1996 Dakota Sport owned since 1998, 3.9L. Winter DD
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, bought 2017, summer only DD
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The more you know....

I can't say I ever noticed that on a 79. I'm nearly tempted to go look at my late 79 RR sitting next to the 80 Sport Wagon, to see if I've got the same thing. But it's CO.O.O.OLD out there! It's finally climbing up to the mid teens so far but NA! I'm good for a while in a flannel down into freezing temps but must admit I've no enjoyment or even comfort for anything under 20. Nope. Not even interested to go out there right now no matter how curious you've made me.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I hear you! It's like 8 here right now, high for Monday.................a sweat inducing ZERO, but then 30's Wed and Thurs. I don't like rollercoasters, either the kind you ride in or temps.

It's 70 in the garage however so, good a day as any to tear into the passenger door and see if I can determine what the f (body) makes that irritating, annoying, maddening, clunking rattle over every little irregularity in the road! While I'm at it, might as well (lol) dig into the dash rattle also. It rattles (almost like a buzz/rattle) even when sitting still, when the engine is running and trans is in gear. They both MUST be eliminated. Oh yeah, keep forgetting the exhaust hitting the spring shackle in reverse and resonating through the entire car. Darn thing is a rattle trap
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 10:44 AM.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Couple days ago, was going to see if I could find the door rattle. Decided maybe it isn't the in the door. I kind of dismissed the pass seat being the culprit, even with 125 lbs of redhead sitting there, the rattle is present. What I found was, the shouldered bolt on the inner seat back hinge wasn't in tight. The large washer that goes between the seat and hinge pivot was just able to bang around. The bolt was tight but loose, if that makes sense. Ended up adding a couple nylon washers to the mix, which keeps the large metal washer tight against the shoulder of the bolt. Must be some bad threads in the seat frame, couldn't even get a tap to go all the way through. Instead of risking breaking off the tap or bolt, improvised with the nylon washers. Won't know if the rattle is gone for 3 or 4 months but here's hoping.

Haven't dug into the dash rattle yet. Got sidetracked putting the new Ford door glass in the Mustang instead. I had replaced the original glass because it was pitted, almost like it was in a sand storm or something, with glass from Ebay a couple tears ago. Mistake. Tinting was uneven, glass had small air bubbles in it and, it wasn't even really the right shape. No amount of adjusting could get them to not leak air in one spot or another. This time got OEM Ford glass from Tasca Parts and tinting is even, glass is flawless and, most important, fits perfectly. It was $100 more per window but worth every dollar. Live and learn.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Dang!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Keep putting it off so,,,,,,,,this evening I WILL start digging into the dash rattle. Got until the 27th to get things done before I'm forced to take a hiatus from most of it. That's the day I get my hand sliced open again Maybe by the time I can use both hands again, the poly bushings will be available, unless Brandon ef's it up even more than he has already. Oh, maybe I'll be able to find some HD Velcro tape then also. Empty shelf at Menard's, where it supposed to be.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seriously? Jeez Louise. Getting it cut open again? Well, at least that keeps you off work longer. Man, I just went back for the first day of the year today. This crap is a mess. Never got anywhere near our number after all the "improvements" that kept us out til now. Time will tell but I'm so tired of dealing with messes.

But if you need some Poly and do have some coming that you could replace my stock with at just an extra shipping cost, I've known you so long that you're welcome to what I have as long as you replace it. I trust you. Shoot me a text message on the phone. I've never had your actual mailing address, but I've got stuff on-hand that could be there in 3-days and keep your home schedule on track, while it won't hurt mine any.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 23 Hours Ago at 06:32 AM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, again. The first tendon repair didn't take, and t came apart at some point. This time the doc is putting me under since it's going to take longer and he'll have to do more wok on it. It sucks, but it happens from time to time on tendon repairs. One thing I've got going for me is, he's one of the best orthopedic hand doctors in the country. That's his specialty but even the best can sometimes have a failure.

Thanks for the offer on the poly but I'll just wait until later. There's still another 4 months until the car can come back out, most likely. My "wife" is 54 and acts the same now as 20 years ago. She's just a mellow woman who never seems to get mad at anything, always has been that way.

Guess I lied. Went out to the garage all set to go on the dash and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lost my oomph. Guess I stayed up too late last night (11pm) and got up too early this morning (4:30 am). Tomorrow will be a new day.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Day Ago at 08:28 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, new day, new opportunities. Glad you don't have associated pain to speak of. Not sure I could get a dash apart one handed tho.
    Volare Magnet