Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffler question

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Muffler question

I've been doing research on mufflers and want to get you guy's input as well.

The story: I have Walker Super Dynomax mufflers on the car and love the way they sound EXCEPT the almost unbearable drone inside the car at certain rpm's. Mainly above 45-50 mph. It's so loud in the car you couldn't listen to the radio even if you wanted to, much less have a conversation with a passenger.

So far it seems MagnaFlow pops up a lot. The ones with the perforated tube and fiberglass packing anyways. Any experience out there in f-body land? Want to be relatively sure before buying any. Kind of got sticker shock on the prices but then again, they're stainless and would last forever.

So,,,,,,,,,,suggestions, user reviews, anything else? I want to stay away from Flowmaster style mufflers. Just don't like the way they sound.

Thank you gentlemen!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 440w2r/t's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    1977 PLYMOUTH VOLARE
    Stock bottom end 360''
    10.40 @ 129 mph

United States
    Thanks
    I have 3 inch dynomax ultra flo mufflers with turn downs at the axle. I don`t have a drone but it may have something to do with me not having tailpipes. Not extremely loud inside at normal speeds. They do get loud when you step on it. I agree with you on the Flowmaster mufflers. I can`t stand the sound of them as they sound like the exhaust goes thru a trash can.

United States
    Thanks
    I have tailpipes all the way to the bumper, along with a LOT of sound deadening material. it should be quieter inside than it is (IMO). Maybe getting old but it's too loud for me. Also has flex pipes up front and the hangers are the rubber style used on late model cars. It's about as isolated from the body as it can get. Despite the way it looks in the photo, neither tailpipe contacts the fuel tank or spring shackle to transmit noise/harmonics into the body.

I did read a bit on the Dynomax Ultra Flow and it looks like they don't have the drone. Actually, not sure if drone is the right word to use but you know what I mean.

Good part is I used the stainless band clamps so the exhaust comes apart fairly easy vs if I'd have used standard u-clamps that crimp the pipe.

Trash can sounding is my opinion of the Flow Master or other chambered style mufflers also. Of course what sounds good is a subjective thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0005.JPG   DSCF0002.JPG   DSCF0001.JPG   DSCF0002.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 05-13-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I converted all my vehicles over to Magnaflow mufflers, no drone at all. My second choice was Borla.

The Flowmaster 40's on the Vette were so loud and the drone so bad it was physically painful.

I'm also a firm believer in H or X pipes, changing the pulse helps with drone.

United States
    Thanks
    I originally had an x-pipe but it made the exhaust sound "funny". More like a pair of 4 cylinders than one V-8 kind of, so I took it out. The drone was there with the x-pipe also, just not quite so bad.

You hit the nail on the head about the drone. It is almost painful on the highway or freeway at 55-70 mph. I can't take it anymore. You get the same thing of course if going 35 in 2nd gear. It's the rpm not the actual vehicle speed that does it. The vibration frequency of the exhaust gets to the natural harmonic frequency of the car and,,,,,,,,,,,,,resonant drone. Back in my days as a new car dealer tech, we sometimes had to hang weights on the exhaust to fix a drone concern on certain vehicles. The '97 F-150 4.6L comes to mind.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator 80 Aspen RT's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Hang weights on the exhaust??? What did that do???

Aspen and Volare Member jermo17's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The weights isolate resonant noises and vibrations. It acts just like a harmonic dampener does for the engine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jermo17 For This Useful Post:

80 Aspen RT (05-16-2017)

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermo17 View Post
    The weights isolate resonant noises and vibrations. It acts just like a harmonic dampener does for the engine.
    Exactly. The weight, if it's the right amount and in the right place, changes the harmonic frequency of the exhaust system so it doesn't match the harmonic frequency of the body. Same idea as the big weights hanging off the trans tail shaft on some cars. It's when the frequencies of two things match, that's when the drone sets in. It can also cause a vibration you can feel but not necessarily hear. It's been awhile since I was at a noise, vibration and frequency class but remember most of it. If you know the frequency, you can narrow in on the possible source using the rpm of the various parts (engine, tires, driveshaft, etc). I'd need about 10 pages to really explain it in detail. If the frequency is 2,500 hertz and the engine is running 2,500 rpm, the problem is in the engine (or flywheel, flex plate or converter).

More than you really wanted to know

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

80 Aspen RT (05-16-2017)

United States
    Thanks
    Ended up ordering a pair of DynoMax Ultra Flow welded mufflers from Summit. At first I was going with Magna Flow until I saw the ones I need are on back order with an estimated ship date of June 6th so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,didn't want to wait that long so Ultra Flow it is. Same as the Magna Flow's, every thing I read about them mentions the no drone thing so here's hoping!

Guess we'll see how they sound in a few days.