Thread: Husky portable compressor

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Husky portable compressor

I had my small portable compressor out today for some work I`m doing on my shed. It was running funny and then was turning off before building much pressure. I couldn`t figure out what was going on until I removed the extension cord and plugged it in direct. It started to work again ok but now it pops the reset button once in a while. Could it be a capacitor?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you mean it does it while it's running or on start up?

Usually when the reset button trips, it's because the motor is overheating and it trips as a fail safe. Either the motor is going bad, you have a lot of voltage drop between the source and the motor or the compressor head is turning too hard (like if it's seizing up). Voltage drop will cause low voltage under load and that can make a motor overheat.

Reason I say that is you said it was better without the extension cord and the voltage drop that goes along with it.

Just throwing possible causes out for the symptom.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    How old is the compressor and your oil? Don't answer. Just change the oil to start. I've had the same issue with voltage drop overheating the 2.5hp motor on this 21gal HF vertical. Got it as a stopgap when my capacitors blew in the big compressor. Those are either good or bad. As it turns out, I don't have enough to run that on my 110 out here either. So it's on the generator now with all the 220 tools.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It is about 8 years old but hardly used. The oil is fresh. It seems to work ok other then occasional popping the reset. It seems to pop when the air pressures lowers and it signals for the compressor to kick on. It doesn`t do it all the time. I`m sure that the ext cord was causing the voltage drop.