Thread: Viper is done in August

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Viper is done in August

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ory/471157001/

Can`t say that I`m surprised but it`s kinda sad
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-12-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I too hate to see it go, my company was instrumental in launching that platform.

I wonder if the mad scientist in Auburn Hills will come out with another monster. There were a lot of great ideas they had before Fiat came in the mix like the CopperHead on steroids. Road Runner, Cuda, Barracuda, Duster, GTX, etc..... Numerous lines they could rebrand. Volare

When the Corvette comes out with the C8 mid engine, you know FCA will answer with their own offering. This would be a logical Viper replacement.
    Last edited by Stalkervette; 07-12-2017 at 01:34 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I honestly don`t think FIAT has much interest in investing in new products for Chrysler Dodge Ram. They seem more interested in their other brands.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    What does Chrysler have now? The 300 and Town & Country, or is it called Pacifica (I can't remember). Dodge? Charger, Challenger, Journey and a minivan(?) Sad really........................I guess there's about a thousand different Jeep models (yawn) and of course, RAM trucks.

They discontinued the Dart and 200 "due to lack of sales", which I find hard to believe since there are Dart's and 200's everywhere you look. A once great company ruined by years of Daimler and Cerebrus and it's very hard to come back from that. A good reputation is a tough thing to earn back. During the Daimler years,,,,,,,,,,,,,cheapest plastic interiors even in the 300. I would understand tons of hard plastic in an economy car but not what's supposed to be luxury. Daimler insisted on doing it that way and we can see the results. I'll get off my soapbox now and thank you for reading.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Alfa Romeo is one they are trying to get to the US market if they haven`t already.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    Alfa Romeo is one they are trying to get to the US market if they haven`t already.
    A 4C is on my bucket list for retirement, I've been watching it for the last couple years. Still a decent price since they are trying to grow the US market.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	4578

United States
    Thanks
    Only one I know of in the U.S. is the Alfa Romeo Giulia (sp?) on the TV ads.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    It is sad .... it became taken for granted in the car world that this car was being produced.... but remember what a big deal it was when the RT-10 was introduced in '92? It had a good run really, 25 years for an American super car..... I still wish I had one...

United States
    Thanks
    Hard to believe it was that long ago already. I remember when word got out that the local Dodge dealer was getting one in AND what day and approximate time it would get there. It came on an enclosed carrier. Can't remember which one but it's the same one that's trusted to haul million dollar cars. There was a crowd gathered when the first Viper came out of the trailer. At the time, there was nothing like it available aside from the Corvette and in comparison, there was no comparison.

Kind of funny almost. It had 400hp and 450 ft lbs torque and back then, that was a whole bunch! Nowdays, a car with 400 hp is almost like YAWN. How times change.

United States
    Thanks
    The first few years of the Viper were my favorite. The bare bones crudeness was the cool part.