Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFI on a 318

ekaz

EFI on a 318

So it's been a while since I posted and things are starting to align where I can get the dust off of Dad's Volare and get it running again. I am abandoning the 5.7 swap for now and instead focusing on getting it running so I can maybe enjoy a bit this year before Chicago ices over for winter.
    Anyway, here's the plan and any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am going to swap the carb for an efi setup and the current "leader" is a holley sniper efi master kit that comes with the fuel pumps and all the trimmings. I'm ok with adding the return line since I plan on replacing the tank anyway. I could add the fitting before installing the tank. That being said, is there a good spot to install the fitting? Is there anything I'm missing? I'm getting a pretty good deal price wise on the holley kit, so besides price, is it a good kit? I haven't seen anything bad, but then again, not sur eif any of you have had a personal experience either way.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as things come up or searching the forums gives more questions than answers.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've heard and read only positive feedback on the Sniper kit. Having done the HEMI conversion, your Holley direction is a good decision. Not sure on the fitting location, I'm sure someone on the forum will have a suggestion.

The only thing I can contribute is that you may consider having the return with a tube going below fluid level. This is something I'm doing this week. The fuel free-fall return into the tank can cause little bubbles that will make the fuel pump scream.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know much about he Sniper kit except it's a little
    Pricey , don't forget to check out FI Tech , may find it's a better system and more affordable , but that's just one opinion

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Like Stalker said, the return should go down to about an inch or so from the bottom of the tank so it's always submerged. Besides bubbles if it isn't, there's always the possibility it could also create static electricity. Not a big deal in a sealed tank (no oxygen) but if the cap is off while the engines running..............Better safe than sorry is what I'm trying to say.

I've heard good things about the FI Tech system as far as being user friendly. Not familiar with the Holley system though.

Edit: Appears the Holley Sniper is about the same set up as the FI Tech. Both brands are $995 for the 600hp kit at Summit so looks like it just comes down to eenie-meeny-minee........................
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-25-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member jermo17's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem with stalkers fuel pump aeration is not a product of fuel return but a issue with the style of pump he is using with the pump pickup mounted at the very bottom and rear of tank it allows anything to be sucked into the pump. Look at factory fuel pumps not a single return gets anything more than dumped in from the top what solves this is having the filter on the pump bottom it causes all the little air bubbles in the fuel called aeration to be popped and not get sucked up. I have a aeromotive phantom fuel pump the return on that is directed at the pump filter with just a tiny nipple on the end to stop back flow when the tank is full. Stalker i believe its holley that just came out with a filter that sits at the bottom of the tank that has AN connections that work amazing it might be a much better idea to replace. NO fire can ever start in a properly functioning fuel tank PERIOD..... THERE IS NO OXYGEN TO BURN THE FUEL. THERE IS LIVE ELECTRICITY RUNNING THROUGH EVERY ELECTRONIC FUEL PUMP TANK AT ALL TIMES THAT IT IS TURNED ON.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jermo17 For This Useful Post:

Stalkervette (07-26-2017)

United States
    Thanks
    I need to look into that - for now we are installing a return tube below fluid level. I only see (hear) the bubble issue with the pump only when everything is hot.

I would of thought that the 10 micron filter would have busted up most of the bubbles. This is my current set-up with 10 and 100 micron filters, picking up off the sump with dual -6AN lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	4618
    Last edited by Stalkervette; 07-26-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Aspen and Volare Member jermo17's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Its not the filter size its the filter type its called the holley hyrdamat check out the video at https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkervette View Post
    I need to look into that - for now we are installing a return tube below fluid level. I only see (hear) the bubble issue with the pump only when everything is hot.

I would of thought that the 10 micron filter would have busted up most of the bubbles. This is my current set-up with 10 and 100 micron filters, picking up off the sump with dual -6AN lines.
    Not trying to be an alarmist, but if your running a Fiberglas bumper and driving this car on the street in normal traffic with nothing else protecting those fuel filters/ lines it could potentially be a fire hazard if you get rear ended , no one wants the worst to happen , but look what happened to my car when John had it running Fiberglas bumpers on the street ... he didn't have that fuel equipment behind the bumper, but I personally would feel safer with those filters and lines tucked up by the frame perhaps ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4032.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	4619

United States
    Thanks
    That is exactly why we converted to a steel Duster bumper!!!!!!

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermo17 View Post
    Its not the filter size its the filter type its called the holley hyrdamat check out the video at https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat
    That is an interesting product!

Chuck installed a return in the fuel cell so the free fall is eliminated. He drove the care around, to include the highway, and the bubble issue is eliminated.