Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The possessed MIG welder

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

The possessed MIG welder

In the past couple weeks my MIG has given nothing but grief. Started out it wouldn't weld worth a crap. the wire feed was erratic and kept burning off at the tip. Conclusion, time for a new wire liner. Changed the liner and put a brand new spool of wire in. OK, here we go now! Worked good for a few welds and then, sputter, sputter, horrible weld. Out of argon, or so I thought. It was the regulator, wouldn't allow any gas flow. Hmmmmmmm, I have the one off my old welder from 20 years ago, let's try that one. Put it on, after "cobbling" an adapter to hook the gas line up to. My current welder has a nylon tube and quick connector, the old welder was a braided hose. Tried it again and all is well,,,,,,,,,,,,for a short time. No gas flow again and NOW the cylinder is empty. Sigh.............This morning trek all the way over to AirGas to exchange the cylinder. Price went up since last time. A 10 lb cylinder of 25/75 Co2/Argon is now $56. Anyways, all the way back home, hook it up, turn the valve on and,,,,,,,,,HISS. Gas coming from the MIG gun all the time. WTF? Now THIS regulator puked and was sending basically full tank pressure through the tiny little orifice in the regulator output fitting and blowing the gas valve open. Patience now getting rather thin but, deep breath, change clothes and go all the way back to the welding supply store and buy a new regulator. Screwed it on and hooked up the line. Turned the cylinder valve on and,,,,,,don't hear any leaks, gas flows when I pull the trigger. Plugged the welder in and tried it out. Welds nice again. I keep wondering though, what next? Maybe if I don't think about what could go wrong next, it won't.

All this so I can keep going on the rust repair project of my '96 Dakota, which is coming along OK but now I'm kind of behind where I wanted to be with this welder BS. Grumble, complain, gripe.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a small Lincoln welder and I was having problem with erratic wire feed. I put on one of those Red Lube-Matic Cleaning Pads and haven`t had any issues since.

United States
    Thanks
    I have the lube pad and yes, it has lube on it! It's an Astro PowerMig 130 that I bought about 20 years ago. If I remember correctly, got it from a Cornwell Tool truck (when Cornwell was around in this area). It replaced A Snap-On MIG from 1986 that cost 3 times more than the Astro but it was nothing but trouble from day one. It was too complicated IMO. With all the possible adjustments and weld types it had too many knobs and too many electronics, at least for the time period. Had one of the circuit boards replaced under warranty, later another board went out, then it was this, that and the other thing that would fail and finally it just stopped working totally. To be honest, it never worked very well at all. Got the Astro, nice and simple. It has 2 knobs. One with 4 amp positions and the other the variable wire speed control. No electronic boards to fail or features that I have no use for. Has worked great up until I started on my '96 Dakota life-saving cancer surgery, AKA rust repair. In it's defense, it's done a LOT of welding between 1996 and now. After all the screwing around, it seems to be back to it's old self again.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I currently have a simple Hobart 125EZ welder - knock on wood it has been a fantastic performer and seems to meet all my needs for simple welds and small fabrication work (brackets and such). One nob adjustment and letting the control board do the rest. A project I'm thinking about doing after I retire is a making a mud/sand cart out of some small 4x4 (I'll remove the body), for that I will need a more robust MIG to do frame work. I'll probably go with a tried and true Lincoln with gas.

My goal is to get a nice TIG. For the fabrication work I would like to do with aluminum, that is the only way to go.

United States
    Thanks
    My father in law has a used TIG welder for sale but he is in Maryland. Probably to far for you to drive.

United States
    Thanks
    I always wish I had unlimited access to the metals shop in my old high school. MIG, TIG, oxy-acetelene, stick, spot welders. Also lathes, metal brakes, milling machines, bead rollers, sheet metal rollers, english wheels, planishing (sp?) hammers, tubing benders, along with every kind of metal forming hand tool you could ever dream of, and a whole lot of other stuff I can't think of right now. That was when I went there ('78-'82) and I'm sure there's more, and different types, of equipment there now to keep up with modern technology. Can't forget the storage room with tons (literally) of all gauges sheet steel, aluminum, stainless, angle iron, square tubing, DOM moly tubings, etc, etc, etc. I would be in heaven!

United States
    Thanks
    I would be surprised if they even have metal shop anymore. Most of these kids nowadays don`t want to get their hands dirty. They just pay us old timers to do the dirty work. In metal shop I really got a kick out of welding some thick metal together with arc welder and then test on the machine that would test the weld strength.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 08-03-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    I would be surprised if they even have metal shop anymore. Most of these kids nowadays don`t want to get their hands dirty. They just pay us old timers to do the dirty work. In metal shop I really got a kick out of welding some thick metal together with arc welder and then test on the machine that would test the weld strength.
    That is my thought exactly. If a snowflake gets a splinter they will burst into flames, parents sue the school district, CNN will fake news the shop story that the shop was unsafe and in the end it will be Tump's fault

United States
    Thanks
    No snowflake would ever take metals shop (or any other industrial arts class) so it wouldn't be a problem. Actually they do still have metals shop. It wasn't more than a couple years ago they added on to the already gigantic metal shop because there were more students signing up, than available openings for them. I always felt good getting in to Advanced Metals senior year. You had to have taken the other three metals classes in grades 9-11, had no less than a 'B' grade in any of them and then you had to apply for the senior year class. There were only 12 openings and the instructor was the one who decided if you could be in his class based on the previous three years. On M-W-F the class was 2 periods long so your other classes had to be such that your schedule could have space for the extra periods 3 days a week. To get in, everything had to line up perfectly and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I got in! The metals teacher knew his stuff and taught it well. He was strict, but fair. AT least he seemed strict the first 3 years. Once in the Advanced class, he was totally different guy. More like an old buddy than a teacher. Anyways, in this area the industrial type classes are still going strong as ever and how the hell did I get onto this subject? Oh well!
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-03-2017 at 03:29 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    My counselor kinda screwed me out of Vo tech. He asked me what i was going to do with my life and I just shrugged my shoulders pretty much like any 9th grader. He said your grades are too good and we reserve Vo tech for the students that aren`t doing well in school. I took metal shop for a couple years but the Vo tech was where i wanted to be but if you didn`t get in 9th grade you were SOL. Most good students got placed in decent jobs too.