Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting hood / front trim

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks

Adjusting hood / front trim

I know these cars are notorious for the sides of the hood not lining up above the headlight even when brand new , in fact I've never had an F body that was perfect on both sides above the headlight doors , but any tricks or ideas to make it line up better ? This car was hit in the front & the body shop fixed the middle of the hood , I am afraid it's bent a bit , I have tried adjusting everywhere I could but it's pretty out of whack above both headlight doors .... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4354.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	4705
    Last edited by 76sassygrassVolare; 08-29-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Canada
    Thanks
    Damn hood bent down / mis-shapen in the middle I guess ... , I am really disappointed,
    Not sure what I can do , you can see in this pic what I'm dealing with ,, by the way this as all just test fitting this isn't even the grille I Am using and I hope to find better trim , but I'm just trying to get it aligned properly . This grille & headlight doors are not even fully screwed on yet . Also I adjusted the bumper up today , there was about a 2 inch gap between the grille & bumper before I did , looked horrible . I am starting to think I may need a new hood or have this one fixed and repainted FFS , I won't be happy with it like this Unless I can figure out a way to adjust it or something ??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4356.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	4716
    Last edited by 76sassygrassVolare; 08-30-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I messed around with mine for days, even when I was building the car and came to the conclusion that it'll only be just so good. It's like all the pieces aren't the same shape. Then again, my car had the front end crunched in '89 (enough to put the fan through the radiator, still an S6 then), then there was the semi-pro street phase, parts from many different cars and years..................

I would definitely say your hood is bent, big time. Best, and probably least expensive, bet is find a different hood. Trying to straighten something like that is about impossible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0001.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-29-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

76sassygrassVolare (08-30-2017)

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe try to set something heavy on it.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I would say shim the fender up maybe some but it looks like the hood is up to much. Are the hood bumpers adjusted down? Make sure the hood latch is not interfering with it coming down enough? Sometimes the adjustment at the hinges can affect the front. Maybe install hood pins to bring it down to acceptable? Just some thoughts since I can`t really see the whole picture. I do believe the gap is fairly large between the bumper and grille because of the shock absorbing set up to minimize breakage. I did raise my bumper up to close the gap some as it does look odd. Your attachment didn`t work on my computer. BTW, I probably have better trim around here somewhere.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 08-29-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    I would say shim the fender up maybe some but it looks like the hood is up to much. Are the hood bumpers adjusted down? Make sure the hood latch is not interfering with it coming down enough? Sometimes the adjustment at the hinges can affect the front. Maybe install hood pins to bring it down to acceptable? Just some thoughts since I can`t really see the whole picture. I do believe the gap is fairly large between the bumper and grille because of the shock absorbing set up to minimize breakage. I did raise my bumper up to close the gap some as it does look odd. Your attachment didn`t work on my computer. BTW, I probably have better trim around here somewhere.
    Thanks for the tips guys . Ya unfortunately the nos trim John had installed was destroyed in the accident, whats on the hood is rough, I have a few sets & the one I test fitted was the best compromise between dents & finishes . Ya I am gonna keep messing with this and just try & get it as best I can for now ...

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It's hard to say what will work for your particular car. After paint is a really bad time to find this. But you say it's both sides and that is good. One side would be a problem because it would indicate the hood is tweaked. Like our orange Roadrunner. I can't fix that until the needed repaint. I'll assume your bumper pads are set correctly and your latch is bottomed out, and you can force it down into position but it won't stay there. If that is the case there's a solution. You can ream some extra slot into the hood latch holes so it will hold the hood down lower. If it takes too much force to make it latch then, but the bumper pads aren't holding it up, you may be in a bind on the hinges. They'll only close til they're closed. If they aren't totally closed already you can raise the front bolt hole in it's slot. That will let the front go further down by closing the hinge deeper. But if you're already maxed out on the hinge, you can add shims under the rear stud to tilt the hinge forward and get the same end result. If taking that route, be careful of where the hinge goes inside the cowl. You don't want the hinge to hit the top of that opening with the hood open. I use a sharp pencil to mark where my hood hinges are in relationship to the hood, and where the bolt washers are in relationship to the hinges to track my adjustments and progress. It's all a big pain in the butt and you'll surely end up with the airbrush out fixing chipped paint on bolt heads and stuff when you're done. But you'll get there.
    Volare Magnet

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    It's hard to say what will work for your particular car. After paint is a really bad time to find this. But you say it's both sides and that is good. One side would be a problem because it would indicate the hood is tweaked. Like our orange Roadrunner. I can't fix that until the needed repaint. I'll assume your bumper pads are set correctly and your latch is bottomed out, and you can force it down into position but it won't stay there. If that is the case there's a solution. You can ream some extra slot into the hood latch holes so it will hold the hood down lower. If it takes too much force to make it latch then, but the bumper pads aren't holding it up, you may be in a bind on the hinges. They'll only close til they're closed. If they aren't totally closed already you can raise the front bolt hole in it's slot. That will let the front go further down by closing the hinge deeper. But if you're already maxed out on the hinge, you can add shims under the rear stud to tilt the hinge forward and get the same end result. If taking that route, be careful of where the hinge goes inside the cowl. You don't want the hinge to hit the top of that opening with the hood open. I use a sharp pencil to mark where my hood hinges are in relationship to the hood, and where the bolt washers are in relationship to the hinges to track my adjustments and progress. It's all a big pain in the butt and you'll surely end up with the airbrush out fixing chipped paint on bolt heads and stuff when you're done. But you'll get there.
    Thanks for all the advice, I will try these things out! Yes I realize it is crappy to figure all this out after paint,but it was kind of a case of the way the project went , with the body shop repairing the body & then I finished painting it 3 years later.. I stupidly did neglected to check all of this before painting , but the hood was barely hit only a small amount of work in the very middle and seemed to close perfectly & line up with the fenders nicely, so I didnt put much thought into how it would line up with the grille and trim it at that point ...ugh. The hood may very well be tweaked though....time will tell where I get with adjusting everything....

Canada
    Thanks
    FIXED picture attachment above...you can definitely see where its bent in the middle..guess its gonna be just do what I can until I can have this hood repaired / re-painted OR find another hood...

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, no adjusting is going fix that. I assume the center chrome is tight up against the hood. I have a couple hoods but you are way too far away and they would need a little work.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post: