Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Time to whip it out

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I hadn't planned on taking the car out for a ride this evening BUT, the weather was so absolutely perfect that I couldn't resist. Mid 70's, no humidity, no wind, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Another absolutely beautiful evening, even better than yesterday and another 20 or so miles. Only wish it wasn't so dang hard to get away from other traffic around here. Oh well, that's the way it is I suppose.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I would have to drive a very long way to get out of traffic in my area.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Local traffic around here is a piece of cake. The cities suck but they are about 45 minutes to 1 hour away depending what direction you go.

United States
    Thanks
    You could go out at 3am and still run into traffic..................Of course, it's quite a bit less than 3pm, lol! We always joke that Rib Mountain Drive really should be renamed Rib Mountain PARK-way anytime between 7am and 8 or 9 pm. As I look out my window at the freeway right now and see traffic on the off ramp backed up onto the (8-lane) freeway in the "exit only" lane coming into Rib Mt from the south and it's a double lane, very long ramp down to Rib Mt. Drive. It sucks and I really wish I could afford to move farther out into the 'burb's than I am now. Even farther out would be awesome but it seems the farther out toward the country you get, the higher the prices of houses get........................................ Biggest problem is, this is a metro area of roughly 110,000 people divided by a river but hardly any bridges. Other than the freeway a mile south of my house, the closest bridge is up in Wausau 5 or 6 miles away. Next bridge (other than the freeway) is way down in Mosinee, 20 miles away on the far south side so, all traffic going between east and west has to come across 4 surface street crossings or the freeway. Can you say bottleneck? It's stupid to not have more bridges around here. Sorry, that's more a post for rants and raves

Keep thinking of getting the car out this afternoon but it gets sunny, then dark clouds roll in, then the sun again for a bit, then dark clouds. No rain yet but it keeps threatening.

I guess there are bridges but they're called fly over ramps, lol. This cluster you know what is about 5 or 6 miles north of my house. It's a heck of a thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails freeway2.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-15-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Haven't had much occasion to Whip it Out this year. Almost forgot about the local car show last night even. Who could forget after Stringbean wakes you up at the asscrack of dawn to chat about that and everything else he can think of for an hour on Sunday morning? Yep, that would be me. Mr. CRS.

So anyhow, there I am minding my own business screwing off putting away new buffing pads and compounds and polishes and stacks of Mopar Performance stickers and small black gasket sets and stuff that my farmer buddy who goes to all the auctions just dropped off.... and I get a pic message from one of my local buddies from the show.

Oh Crap! I had forgotten.

But I recognized the background and that this wasn't the usual Tuesday Town Square show that's only been drawing a couple dozen old farts all summer this year.

We'd gotten Candy Corn out Sunday and polished her up good, so I holler for my wife and tear *you know* out there to fire the car up. Running like crap on last year's gas that I should have cleared out back in March still, and we haul tail down the road. We saw half a dozen cars that had left, just in the 4 miles, but there were still around 60 or more left when we got there, including everybody we actually wanted to see and others we like but just see here and there.

There was only an hour of the show remaining but it was totally worth going! The new owner of this R/T 4spd since last year came up almost as soon as we parked next to him. Had a real good conversation and I'm trying to figure out where the heck he lives around here now cuz he mentioned selling it to finance a higher budget car he wants. And of course I know somebody who's interested in exactly this sort of car. I didn't crawl under it but wasn't shocked or disappointed by what I saw of it for the first time in a dozen years when I almost bought it then lost track of it for a decade. I should have bought it back then and saved myself all the other unnecessary buys that didn't fill the void. But back then I was angry that I missed it by a day of making up my mind and it going into the shop for what turned out to be a lousy paint job that added $2K to the price tag. You ever get like that about missing the perfect patina and finding the next thing so much more disappointing? Still, you could have flipped this thing over and eaten off the bottom back then. But now it's back to patina on that crappy repaint! Lol!

Anyhow. What's the chances of ever running into a nearly identical Superpak t-bar from your Brother/ Sister brand anywhere, ever? Let alone locally! I mean for cryin out loud, every car I own but 2 are from somewhere else even.
    Aside from brand, the only thing that separates these two cars is the 4spd behind a hopped up 318 vs. console Auto 999 behind a 360.

TOTALLY worth Whipping it Out! Even running like @$$ on last year's &@$.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 119084630_2693437190923822_3012223772572489805_o.jpg   119059288_2693437270923814_4120039771993834983_o.jpg  
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:11 PM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    To this point the "whip it out" opportunities have been far and few between. For one, THE WEATHER SUCKED so often and two, the "season" didn't really start until June and third, every bleeping thing got cancelled except one show down in Mosinee last month but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,of course,,,,,,,,,,,,it rained that afternoon so the Aspen just sat in it's usual place. Pretty much bummed to be honest.

Just went out and checked my log book for the Aspen. To date this year, a whole 270 miles. Pretty dismal... I only hope we get back to more normal weather for a while yet. You know, something NOT like today. Drove to work in the rain, it rained all day, drove home n the rain and it's still raining (and I don't mean sprinkling, I mean RAIN). To top it off, it got "up" to 46. Not exactly car whipping out weather.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:38 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure wish I could have taken a couple weeks worth of that rain off your hands.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I actually had to dry a couple dots of rain off CC when I got her back inside after polishing Sunday. And it rained pretty much from then til dusk Monday night. It's been sorta lousy weather most of the year. From sweating standing still in the shade ridiculously hot with no wind, to high winds with gusts that blow you a step sideways, to rain and or threat of rain that may come any minute or not at all unless I get the car out and increase the probability by 240%.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Other than when wet sanding the clear a few years ago, my Aspen hasn't been touched by water, from either rain OR a hose, since the summer of 1996.

In theory, tomorrow is looking good to whip it out to take to work. I'll decide when I see the forecast tomorrow morning.

Know what you mean about all the rain this year, or threat of rain. I don't even have to physically get the car out of the garage when there's a threat of rain, to make it rain. All I have to do is THINK about getting the car out. POOF, instant deluge.