Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to whip it out

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. He was one week away from his 93rd birthday so, had a long, healthy life. They found him sitting on the sofa with the TV on so he most likely passed away peacefully in his sleep sometime Sunday afternoon. The officer that called told me the neighbors saw him working outside on Sunday morning but not after that, so they called the Police for a welfare check this morning. I need to find out which neighbor it was and thank them big time. He was the best dad ever and also a car guy.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    So, so sorry for your loss. Like you said, he had a long life and I bet not many regrets if any. He went peacefully and that is the way I want to leave this earth.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Thank you Mopars1!

It's supposed to absolutely beautiful on Wednesday and unless an unknown occurs, the Aspen WILL take me to work and home. Tomorrow is going to be nice also (a.k.a. no rain) but I have to make a run up to the bank (related to my dad passing) and don't really want to drive the Aspen in the midday traffic around here, which is horrible.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Ended up whipping the Aspen out last Thursday and took it to work. In the morning it was chilly (51) so I had turned the heat up some. Time to go home at 4:30 and it was sunny and in the 80's, turned the A/C on and moved the temp lever towards cold and then,,,,,,,,,,,,the lever went limp. I'm 99% sure the cable came off the blend door bell crank. Of course, that means the blend door went to full hot. Even with the OFF button pressed and all the vent louvers shut, there was still scalding hot air coming out a little. Aprt way home, I remembered my ca has a drivers side floor vent and pulled the knob out. helped some but not much.

Then,,,,,,,,turning the corner onto hwy KK, I heard a "clink, clang, clink" across the road. Figured I must have ran over a bolt or something. A short ways farther, there was a thump on the floor under my feet. Once i got home, figured it was a good idea to take a look under the car. Spotted it right away, left front sway bar link broken and of course, totally missing,,,,,,,,,,,again. that's the 3rd link that's broken off since I got the car back on the road 9 years ago. So, my plan is get a new link it and toss the bolt that comes with it in the spare bolt bin and replace it with a grade 8 bolt. May as well replace the bolt on the other side right away also. Only thing I can think of why they keep breaking is cheap ass bolts, probably made in China most likely.

Other than those minor snafu's, it felt good to drive the car. Been way too seldom this year due to rain, rain, rain, and other things beyond my control. I put MAYBE 130 miles on so far and that is just plain pathetic.
    Last edited by aspen79; 09-04-2021 at 08:04 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Cheap bolts I agree. Speaking of cheap bolts my Ram truck`s passenger exhaust manifold had two broken bolts . They were the only two stainless bolts on the manifold the rest were steel bolts. I wonder why only the stainless ones broke?

United States
    Thanks
    That is a common problem, mainly with Ford's but also on Chrysler Hemi and to a lesser extent, 4.7L. Around here what happens is, the manifold starts to rust between the head and itself. The rust of course expands, and expands, until the pressure gets too much and the bolt or stud snaps off. I've probably repaired 50 Ford 5.4L and half that of Hemi's since I started at the shop. I'll take the Hemi stuf/bolt repair over Ford any day. They're 10 times easier to access and get the manifolds off and a lot easier to get a straight shot at the bolts. We MIG weld a nut on. it may take a few tries but the stud/bolt always comes out. Combination of the heat and the nut to put a socket on. Works even if they're broken below the surface of the head. In reality, they aren't normally corroded in much, if at all, just no way to get a hold of them otherwise. Out of the hundreds of them we've done at the shop in the 8 years I've worked there, it's been 100% success. Now, have the same thing happen on a cast iron head and then you've got an issue! It can be done but unlike aluminum, the MIG weld will weld the broken off bolt to the head unless you are VERY careful. At that point, you're screwed, lol! After welding, there is no way any drill bit is even going to touch it.

How often does the failure happen? Well put it this way, we keep at least 3 complete sets of both styles (2 valve and 3 valve) of studs and nuts for Ford's, and bolts/studbolts and heat shield nuts for Hemi's along with the manifold gaskets in stock at all times. (OEM factory parts, NOT aftermarket junk). We take the manifolds (if not rusted beyond use) over to "Ye Olde Iron Shoppe" where they have a wide belt sander. A few seconds on that and the surface is clean and flat again. Otherwise it's call next door for a Dorman manifold. Unfortunately they are Made in China but they always have them in stock and being 50 yards away across the parking lot, we can have them in 5 minutes and SEEM to be OK. Not as good as an OEM manifold but they get the job done and the customer is happy. Factory manifolds are more than 2 times the price.
    Last edited by aspen79; 09-04-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Getting ready to leave on a trip three towns away to a car show at the V.F.W. It will be nice to get out after the all day rain we had yesterday and be with good friends too!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    I am jealous! For whatever reason, there aren't really any car shows around this area, ever. No shows, no cruises, nothing, nada, zilch.

United States
    Thanks
    Well, my exhaust manifold was warped so I`m not sure if the is what helped with to break the bolts or was it the other way around and the manifold warped after the bolts broke. I bought a NAPA manifold and it was made in China and it was questionable in quality so I returned it and paid up for the mopar manifold. I did the welding nut trick to remove the broken bolt and it worked after the third try. When I removed the broken bolt I didn`t know it was stainless. Only the two rear double ended studs were stainless. I checked them with a magnet to make sure. One question, does the mig welder wire still weld stainless?

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopars1 View Post
    Getting ready to leave on a trip three towns away to a car show at the V.F.W. It will be nice to get out after the all day rain we had yesterday and be with good friends too!
    I went yesterday for over a hour ride back to my home town where I grew up. They have a local car show every Saturday and I met up with some old friends. It was nice to be back to check things out but I wouldn`t want to live there anymore. LOL