Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Time to whip it out

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Stainless is the absolute easiest thing in the world to weld with or to.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Ok, The nut welded to the stud ok but after I found it was stainless I wondered about the difference between the two.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The studs or bolts break BECAUSE the manifold warps, when it's pushed off the head by rust. So it's actually the manifold that snaps the studs off. Probably would help if they didn't use such tiny studs and/or bolts. We've only run into problems a couple times with the aftermarket manifolds, but the OEM is definitely better quality. One thing we NEVER use, that comes with the manifolds, is the cheap ass gaskets, They go right in the trash and we use OEM gaskets only

Stainless steel is still steel, it's just alloyed with chromium and welds fine with regular MIG wire. The more chromium, the better the stainless is. Have a feeling the exhaust studs are a lower percentage alloy and weld easily. One thing that helps if it's broken off below the surface of the head is to use a small carbide burr and chamfer the hole above the stud, otherwise the top thread where it's broken can get stuck and keep it from turning, resulting in the welded on nut coming off. It helps a lot and doesn't hurt anything.

Funny thing is, the problem only seems to be on aluminum heads. Cast iron heads rarely have a stud snap off on it's own. Those normally break by socket, lol.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:10 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    The studs or bolts break BECAUSE the manifold warps, when it's pushed off the head by rust. So it's actually the manifold that snaps the studs off. Probably would help if they didn't use such tiny studs and/or bolts. We've only run into problems a couple times with the aftermarket manifolds, but the OEM is definitely better quality. One thing we NEVER use, that comes with the manifolds, is the cheap ass gaskets, They go right in the trash and we use OEM gaskets only

Stainless steel is still steel, it's just alloyed with chromium and welds fine with regular MIG wire. The more chromium, the better the stainless is. Have a feeling the exhaust studs are a lower percentage alloy and weld easily. One thing that helps if it's broken off below the surface of the head is to use a small carbide burr and chamfer the hole above the stud, otherwise the top thread where it's broken can get stuck and keep it from turning, resulting in the welded on nut coming off. It helps a lot and doesn't hurt anything.

Funny thing is, the problem only seems to be on aluminum heads. Cast iron heads rarely have a stud snap off on it's own. Those normally break by socket, lol.
    Thanks. Some good info there.

United States
    Thanks
    That's why I get paid the big bucks, LOL!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    I am jealous! For whatever reason, there aren't really any car shows around this area, ever. No shows, no cruises, nothing, nada, zilch.
    Usually when the shows were scheduled before the covid outbreak we had several to choose from each weekend all through the warm times of the year (April through October) and then they went by the wayside. Now, with the covid relaxing a little bit most weekends we have to choose what ones we want to attend. For example, next weekend alone there are 11 shows close enough to me to go to. We attend a lot of shows within a 100 mile radius and then we have traveled up to 200 miles for a kick butt show.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, by the way, we have attended three shows in two days many times.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    I don't know why it is but there are very, very few shows within a 50 mile radius of here, and not one single cruise-in type deal. At one time seems like there was one every other weekend during the season and quite a few within 10 miles of my house. Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,zip.

I take that back, one of the radio stations, Classic Hit's 97.9 (was at one time a moldy oldie sation) has a "happy hour" (a cruise-in) either at Culvers down in Plover (like 30ish miles south) or at The Tiki Beach Bar/marina/beach place on Lake DuBay which is roughly 20 miles away tot he south. Problem is they're always held on Thursday from 5pm-7pm. By the time I got there, it'd be pretty much over already. They used to have one up here but discontinued it years ago. It wasn't that great since it was at the huge Mobil (BP now) gas station/convenience store/Burger King/Post Office on North Mountain Road, about 3 miles up Rib Mountain Drive and there is no way I'd even consider taking the Aspen out in Rib Mt., at 5pm. Rib Mt. Drive is more like a parking lot at that point. Put it this way, what would be a 5 minute trip on early Sunday morning, would be 20-30 minutes at 5pm on a weekday (Friday evening, forget about it!). Then once you did get there, that place would be so busy all the fun would be sucked right out. Moot point since they don't have it anymore. I'm more of a cruise-in guy than show guy, but would be happy with either one!
    It sucks since I know there's hundreds and hundreds (maybe thousands) of cars in this area that you rarely see outside of a show.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:05 PM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Went down to Cruisin by the Bay last night. Our locally annual late summer show. Usually it's super Packed but this year there were only a few hundred cars. We were told the seat of the next county over was having a show the same time this year and attendance was greater there. Not a big fan of going over there myself but it is a hotbed of Mopars. There were only a few at our show outside of our usual group of friends.

The Hemi Cuda was really BadAss! The guys said I had just missed there having been a 2nd one when I got there even. With a Ray Barton 540! But they had just left for a better dinner than available downtown supposedly. As I was looking at this blue car with the funny looking stripe on the back a lady came up and told me she's owned a lot of Mopars over the years but never had one of these Chargers. I just smiled and asked her if she'd seen the super nice light blue Cordoba parked a few cars down... LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210910_180722.jpg   20210910_180732.jpg   20210910_175058.jpg   20210910_175035.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Light blue Cordoba, lol. You have to admit though, a Cordoba and Monte Carlo look darn similar.

Hemi 'Cuda next to a Vega. Now there's opposites, Cosworth Vega or not! I haven't seen a Vega in at least 35 years. I always wondered what happened to all the V-8 Vega's that were around here in the late '70 and '80's.

The '68 Coronet R/T looks awesome. May be biased because of the color

Again, I'm jealous of you guys that have so many near by shows/cruises to choose from. I'm serious about that.