Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Time to whip it out

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    No but I did see one swoop down and grab a rabbit in my backyard, without ever slowing down. Heck of a thing to see!

Whipped it out early Sunday morning before traffic picked up and decided I'm happy with the carb and the way it's set up right now. Probably could fine tune a bit but I'm going to leave well enough alone for now. Didn't go all that far, less than 10 miles but that's better than zero miles.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    They are amazingly fast in their terror to prey which must also be very brief. We officially have 35 nests in our small county. Second only to a larger also coastal county with 50, and nobody else in the state is even close. It is amazing to watch nature react to things. ALL the other birds literally hit the ground under cover of trees, regardless of proximity to other predators. they don't even take chances in the branches. Barn cats take cover. Even if they were being little (cats) sitting on your black vinyl roof sunning themselves with their eyes closed, they will suddenly get down without being beaten off the car, and go under it where it's cool. So un cat-like. Woodchucks scurry for cover. Everything smarter than a Human, a mouse or a Rabbit, does not take chances with the Eagles. I've also seen them strike and it's a Blur! Long ago it seemed unusual to train my own human brain to recognize natural predators that find themselves also pretty far up the food chain. And from pretty far up, using the sun as cover for their actions to strike the blinded and stupid. But it still didn't stop me from yelling back at those chatterboxes who circled once as the only crane disappeared like a dart before I even caught the shadow just before they lit in that tree.

But I'm a Human. And an ornery old one at that. I don't care what predator comes around. They're still going to have a fight to take me or my clan even if they can pull it off. And I kept my people cool as the other 3 groups all left the area by yelling up at them in my best Bugs Bunny voice. AAAaaaaa Shaad- UP! And a few other lines. But we did take that left toin at Albuquerque too once others had exited safely, to keep the peace on a day meant to celebrate peace gained through sacrifice.

Glad to hear you've been able to take a shake down run and find enjoyment in the short miles too. Better times will follow!
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:15 PM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The eagle I see all the time lives on an island in Lake Wausau (from what I've heard), which is a little over a block from my house. Always neat to see it soaring and circling without once flapping it's wings. Smart birds too, they swoop down with the sun at their backs so the prey never even sees them, or hears them. It's a silent operation.

Hoping to have the Aspen out a bit more this week. Friday's forecast shows ZERO chance of rain so, we'll see if it goes to work with me that day. Also going to be hotter than the male offspring of a female dog, and the humidity is going to be up so,,,,,,,,I'll decide then.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK I just can't help myself. Any time its stupid hot out. OK, it doesn't need to be hot out...

But if I've got an excuse to get the wife ('s Roadrunner) topless... well you know I'm guna whip it out!

Took her out for a couple hours cruising down the coast last weekend and finally got ice cream when we ran out of land and had to head south rather than cross the Sandusky Bay's Edison Bridge to the Marblehead peninsula that leads to island access ferries. We'll save island trips for another time. Or maybe even another after we go get ice cream at the really good place over there. Or some good Wisconsin cheese at another place. Oh man.. that would be perfect after some award winning chili from that little fisherman's bar... Hmm... I'm thinking of too many good reasons to cross that bridge!

But tops out cruising was good enough for us this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210605_175647.jpg   20210605_165649.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    NICE Pictures!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    It was, and still is, hot and humid. Had plans to take the Aspen out a bit this evening but,,,,,,,,,,,,after working all day, and doing some things around here this evening, no energy left. Working in the hot and humid kind of sucks all the life out of a person. Not complaining mind you, I'll still take this weather over winter ANY day!

Plus, we have nothing here even close to as interesting to cruise as you appear to have there in Ohio. If there is, I'm not aware of it anyways. Of course when you've lived somewhere for so long (since 1976 in my case), it gets routine and you don't "see" all the good stuff, where an outsider that's never been in this area would think the opposite.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've always got my eye open for that 35 or 40 foot wide background I like. Just driving along and, OH hey they have nice landscaping here. Pretty flowers. That tree has the perfect shape to sit under. Or the breakwall is low enough here to show water behind the car. For me it's about seeing that tiny window of opportunity that I might get the car into for a pic among all the other things that aren't so photogenic. I only got that one single good pic out on the Shaussee with the water lilies behind us. The rest, Meh... Cant help having the afternoon light against us out on the fishing pier that used to be the causeway to the old Bay Bridge. But it's the only place to get a shot with the new one behind you. Had to move the car three or four feet to hit the sweet spot at each place.

It's all about finding those small bits of beauty in an otherwise mundane world. You might not think any place is too spectacular unless you look for those little spots just big enough to stick a car into. Sometimes we drive for two or three hours to find just a couple. Other days you just don't see anything really special. But the view out the windshield and rumble below always makes an enjoyable ride.

We headed south out of the last town and picked up our own road that parallels the coast generally following below the north ridge. Several miles had gone by without another soul in sight when I looked at the speedometer then asked my wife if she'd ever been down our road below the speed limit before? She was smiling but didn't turn from looking out at what we've both seen a million times before. Just held my hand a little tighter. Bits of beauty in a mundane world. All around us. Just need to slow down and see them.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    It's looking to be very nice out tomorrow and the next day, 75-80 degrees and ZERO chance of rain (or so they claim). So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if everything goes to plan, the Aspen will come to work with me at least one of those days. About time, right? lol Middle of June already and I've put a grand total of a whole 20 miles on the car so far this season. That just ain't right.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We went to Bucyrus Cruise yesterday. About an hour from home. I bet if we had a weekday morning to run down there, we'd have the light and that parking spot directly in front of the mural. The light was coming around to the one where the vintage motorcycle hauler and Model A sat later in the evening but they never moved. Around 800 cars at the Cruise and there was even another F-body Roadrunner. That was a real treat to see!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210612_141525.jpg   20210612_174335.jpg   20210612_154612.jpg  
    Volare Magnet