Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to whip it out

United States
    Thanks
    Been some storms and raining off and on for the past couple days.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Pix or it didn't happen guys! LOL!

Took my wife over to P-I-B, Catawba Island yesterday. It's only a half hour drive to the ferry. Crazy amount of tourists for a Tuesday! You'd have thought it was Friday over there. But we found a few spots for pix and had a good time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210706_130200.jpg   20210706_160145.jpg   20210706_125948.jpg   20210706_131625.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Whipped out my '09 300 for a 4,000 mile road trip. Did that trip in my Volare years ago, but had to detour most of 1,00 miles around weather. On that old trip my timing chain finished stretching out and I had to go the last 1,000 outbound without turning it off as starting had become very difficult with the timing that far out. Fixed it all at my parent's house with parts from the hotrod shop I used as a kid. Found out this time that store is gone now. I hope that guy retired and is still having a good time.

United States
    Thanks
    I never was one for taking pictures. I know, I know, I need to. I am going to put more of a effort into taking some from here on out. Nice Nova btw.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-07-2021 at 04:14 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We really represented this weekend at the Gilmore Museum's, Mopars at the Red Barns. 13 F-bodies on the show field and most of them were in our group Missing Link Mopars. 3-1/2 Super Coupes. 2 Kit Cars, R/T's, Roadrunners, and base models. M-bodies, an Imperial, a couple late B-bodies. Even Jonesy took a day off work to relax and showed up in the Indiana Sex Machine! Our era Really showed up and got some recognition!

We had a great time and an excellent afterparty too. Hosted by Blue on Blue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210724_150741(0).jpg   20210724_112812.jpg   20210724_112613.jpg   20210724_092506.jpg   20210724_092440.jpg   20210724_151347.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool! Our numbers are increasing and maybe, just maybe, some of the restoration suppliers, that currently don't even acknowledge F/M/J's were ever built, will start taking note.

On the other hand, that's a double edge sword. As popularity increases,,,,,,,,,,,,so do prices.
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-27-2021 at 07:18 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well as many of us have noticed, the nos parts supply has very seriously depleted in the past few years as investors have hoarded them waiting for those price increases. F-body sold at auction prices hitting high 20's and touching 30 now making those mid $30's asking prices look a little less ridiculous. Who knows where it will settle in but it's definitely happening as we watch. The downside I see is that it could price the young guys who've been spearheading the rising popularity of our bodystyle back out of them. But we'll just have to wait and see. Lots of opportunities out there for those young guys to increase their earnings potentials also. It's an interesting time for sure. The only other Mopar values in our era seeming to go up much, maybe just because I'm watching those, is late B's. So they're another one to watch if you aren't. Looks like the 80's stuff is still on hold for now.

But in all reality I'm more about having a good time with good people than any of that. Even if I get priced out of the market, at least I've already got mine and am still enjoying running around ratty without a care. Tops out middle finger in the air! Lol!

I always get a laugh from the guys with really nice cars who ask when we'll paint ours and I answer that I like it just how it is. We can blast down a country road without worry of another stone chip or stop off and slip it right into that open 3rd spot in the Walmart parking lot. And we keep on having a good time. I always see the gears turning in their heads remembering such care free good times. And here i am 35 years later still doing it in an F-body just like those young guys. That's something you can't put a value on.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    It is very rewarding in having a car that can be driven without having to worry about it getting damaged or messed up. Those were the cars I enjoyed the most for sure. Unfortunately once we put the time and money into a car then we no longer want to drive it as much because we don`t want to get it dirty or damaged in some way. So how do you fix that??? Drive it anyhow and take your lumps along the way. A real hard thing to decide at least for me anyways.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 07-27-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    It is very rewarding in having a car that can be driven without having to worry about it getting damaged or messed up. Those were the cars I enjoyed the most for sure. Unfortunately once we put the time and money into a car then we no longer want to drive it as much because we don`t want to get it dirty or damaged in some way. So how do fix that??? Drive it anyhow and take your lumps along the way. A real hard thing to decide at least for me anyways.
    Gee, I don't know anybody with that predicament, lol! There are times I wished I hadn't gone so overboard building my Aspen because I would drive it a lot more. That said, it's been 9 years and there are rock chips in the rockers and behind the rear tires, also on the undercarriage. Still refuse to drive it in the rain but otherwise, I'm not quite so afraid to drive it like I used to be. I guess the "new" is worn off. Not that I'm not very careful but a rock chip doesn't get to me as bad now. In a parking lot I always park waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out away from anything. A rock chip is one thing, a door ding (or worse) is something else completely.

On that note, after tomorrow it's supposed to be really ice out, low 80's, low humidity, NO CHANCE OF RAIN, so there's a very good chance the Aspen will come to work with me on Thursday or Friday, or both. Then I'll have used enough fuel to fill up with fresh stuff (at $3.69/gal, ouch). It was last filled up in October 2020 and there's about 1/2 tank left yet. That is just so wrong!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I tanked up Sunday where I found 3.09 since everybody else was at 3.28 and then I go past a bunch of stations at 2.99 for the first time in a while today. Of course Premium is now 70 cents higher instead of the 30 cents it was just two years ago. Bunch of pump rapists. But what I'd really like to see most is the price at half of today again. That would just be So Orange! I mean, COOL! But I guess we've forfeited reasonable prices now.
    Volare Magnet