Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to whip it out

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The $3.69 is for ethanol free premium 91. Regular is anywhere from $2.96-$3.09 around here. Yep, one stroke of a pen and our $2.00 gas prices went right out the window, didn't they?
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    We just jumped up to 2.99 credit/2.93 cash.

Thank goodness we stopped fracking and keystone pipeline! Paying the low gas prices were very troublesome.....

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    IF there is a surge in electric vehicles gas prices will only increase (result of higher taxes). Though I have to say I am seeing a noticeable increase in electric vehicles around Atlanta.

United States
    Thanks
    There's MAYBE half a dozen electric vehicles around here. Talked to a guy I know at the Ford dealer and he said they haven't sold a single Mustang Mach-e and have seen zero interest in the new electric F-150 from people looking to buy a new one. We like our internal combustion vehicles up here. Electric just isn't really feasible, especially in our winters. The one Tesla I know of is owned by one of our customers and he said last winter, when it was below zero, dark and snowing, and the batteries fully charged, his range dropped to about 30 miles. Cold batteries, lights on, heater cranked, rear window defroster on, wipers running at times, not to mention everything moves harder in that temperature. After that 30 miles, it takes 6-8 hours for a recharge. He also mentioned his electric bill more than doubled and he regrets buying the car. Can't forget the $2,000+ it cost to have a charging station installed in his garage to charge the car up. Plus, he still needs a regular car and truck for things you just can't do with battery power.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Very good points about the failures of this less than ready for prime time "technology". It angers me more than words that a certain segment of powerful people are determined to force us all into compliance in what cannot compete with our currently available transportation technology. Electric is very novel and interesting, but it is clearly not the answer to all our needs. It's a niche. Just as F-bodies are a niche within a niche in the hobby car segment. Forcing everyone to drive a Mopar, new or old, or find their truck legislated out of practicality, would be just as Wrong as what they're attempting in ushering in Electric vehicles as a complete replacement for petroleum on such a short time schedule. If it competed on it's merits the transition would naturally occur. But that's simply not the case. It's not superior, not at this time, but that doesn't stop people with money and lust for more power over others. Just as "they" have mandated Ethanol into petroleum fuels. A product which is upside down in it's cost/ benefit ratio from the very beginning and could not exist without subsidization. But we're forced into farmer and production welfare programs and then use the product which is inferior to it's competition, putting out less energy than it takes to create it. It makes a rational person ask WHY? More petroleum energy and from other sources, is expended in the creation of the product being forced upon us, than we get out of it. And then we're somehow supposed to feel bad if we don't support the farmers? Not me. Grow some food on your corporate farm operations. Don't look to me to support bad ideas. There's just nothing good there to support. At least maybe someday they can fix what isn't there yet with electric. But don't try to force me into anything that's not better than what I've already got. I'm really sick of politicians and powerful players forcing us backwards, and to pay for going in the wrong direction because they aren't half as smart as they are powerful. Really makes me look around me at other people right in my own community of voters... But that's a topic for somewhere other than here. I think what I need today is to go Whip it Out and feel a little better running down some back roads to nowhere. Empty roads through open land. Just me and my machine.
    Volare Magnet

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (07-31-2021)

United States
    Thanks
    I agree with all of that! None of them have ever said where all this extra electricity is supposed to come from. Thin air? They don't want coal plants, they don't want natural gas plants so................ The only way to remedy the situation is at the ballot box but as you said, discussion for another place.

I haven't whipped it out nearly enough this year so far. Seems there's always something, either rain or I have other things that need done sooner and by the time I get those done, I'm too damn tired to get the car out, etc....
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-31-2021 at 11:40 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    Yesterday would have been an excellent whip it out. For the past 44 tears, it's been the weekend of the Wisconsin Rapids cruise (about 40 miles SW of me), put on by Corvette's of the North. It was usually 600-800 cars and was organized and run to absolute perfection. Last year got canceled because of the shamdemic and in the meantime, the club decided to not do them anymore. Reason is the aging of the club members and they feel they couldn't uphold the quality of the cruise so instead of having it fade out and be a disappointment, they voted to go out while still on top. To organize it all, man the intersections, coordinate with the Police and others, along with the band and food after the cruise at a big park, is a huge job that I can't even begin to imagine how they did it so well. It was awesome with the entire route lined with 100's of local people in their front yards, or sitting along the way in lawn chairs, waving and cheering. Small intersections had club members directing, larger ones had the Police doing the same. It gave you a good feeling. It will be missed.

On a side note: It would have been a wash out yesterday, so turnout would have been low anyways.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The '77 R/T had a run up to Springfield, IL yesterday for a car show. Around 190 mile round trip and the mighty 422 cu in small block got almost 12 mpg running 70mph.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 77blue on blue's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Been so hot lately and I've been so busy with the Volare that I haven't driven the Aspens much. But today I took the long way to work and took the 80. That drive put us at 7000 miles for the year so far. Gettin pretty close to the 30,000 mile mark since I built it 3 years ago. Its a pretty good car considering its built outta 2nd hand or junkyard partsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210810_183440~2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	6894
    1977 Dodge Aspen Sport Coupe, 1980 Aspen R/T clone, 1979 Volare Wagon Premier, 1972 D300 Camper Special Crew Cab, 1993 Plymouth Sundance Duster, 1990 W150, 1986 Ramcharger

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We hung out with some friends at a local festival show Sunday. Been raining off and on since an hour after we got home from there. Wasn't supposed to move in til later and we still had CC sitting outside in the sun that was still shining as the rain started. So she did get a little wet this year now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210807_112724.jpg  
    Volare Magnet