Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starter Motor

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I assume your talking about the newer mini starter? All I can say is, I just replaced the original (mini starter) on my '96 Dakota a couple months ago after 170,000 miles of use. It was doing the exact same thing as your's was. When I took it apart out of curiosity, the only thing wrong with it was the solenoid contacts were all but non-existent. Everything else from the bushings to the brushes looked darn near brand new yet.

I originally had a stock replacement type mini starter from 440 Source on my 500 ci Aspen (now on the Dakota) and it worked fine except,,,,,,,,,,,hot soak restart. The headers are very close and it didn't like the heat. Shut it off hot, come back 10 minutes later and it sounded like you were trying to crank a 20:1 5,000 ci engine over. Replaced it with a Powermaster XS Torque and problem solved. On a stock vehicle, especially a S6, the starter (provided it's not some cheapo Chinese knock off) will probably outlast the car.

I'm not sure if the new type starter actually spins the engine faster or it just sounds like they do. The old big Chrysler starters, aside from 426 Hemi, were gear reduction also from at least as far back as 1962.

I'm an auto tech and the only time I remember replacing one of the starters is on high mileage vehicles, meaning over 150K and then, very seldom. They seem to be good starters.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member plymouthcranbrook's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I bought it through the Local re-builder I mentioned so hopefully it is a well made one. If not I can go to the shop and yowl. Having had several Mopars over the last few decades I know they all sound exactly the same except maybe the old Hemi's. My engine is stock so no extra heat issues I hope, although the heat shield for the original starter was of course not reusable. Funny to fail so early though as my car has just over 30,000 original miles on it. Thanks for the information.
    Last edited by plymouthcranbrook; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:20 PM.