Thread: Extremely rare Aspen sighting

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Extremely rare Aspen sighting

Actually saw an Aspen on the road today. They were driving around near the shop trying to find an address or something. Anyways, it was a '78 Aspen 4 door. Two tone (not factory) blue and white. It looked like hell but at the same time didn't appear to be too rusty. Mainly just some rot in the lower 1/4's. From the sound coming out of the in need of replacement exhaust, it was a S6/automatic. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing (that it was on this particular car) but from what I saw, it looked to have an absolutely perfect grille. Have never seen the car before and probably never will again. It's pretty much the first F-body sighting I've had on the road, other than mine, in at least 20 years.

Sorry, no pics.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen a couple around me, plus a 4door and a wagon in the junkyard. Scored a few things off them.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 76sassygrassVolare's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya, amazing how rare they are to see on the road in the north. I saw one 2 weeks ago in our area, a 2 door Volare with louvers... covered in dirt...looked like a daily driver. The have already salted the roads here a couple times too....I didn't see the front so not sure if it was an 79 or 80 and not sure if /6 or V8 but made me look twice thats for sure. I thought , how cool it would be to drive that every day! lol

United States
    Thanks
    It's been at LEAST 20 years since you saw f-bodies on the road (I'm talking daily drivers) and almost as long for M and J body too. The majority of f-bodies were long gone by the early '90's in this part of the country.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Member plymouthcranbrook's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I get a lot of funny looks when I drive mine in the summer here. Most have no idea what it is.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I get a lot of funny looks even when I`m not in my car. LOL

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    I get a lot of funny looks even when I`m not in my car. LOL
    Same here

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator 80 Aspen RT's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There used to be a couple Fs here that were daily drivers, but I havent seen them for a long time now. One was a 78-79 Volare wagon and the other was a 80 Aspen 4 door, it had a BIG woman that drove it and the backseat and passenger front seat was literally packed to the roof in trash
    She drove it like that for years.

Aspen and Volare Member plymouthcranbrook's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have seen a couple of Volares around here in the last 2-3 years. Looks like someone was using them as a daily driver. One was in pretty good condition. Considering the winters here and salt I was surprised

United States
    Thanks
    We have several 4 dr F bodies in my city that I see as somewhat regular commuters from time to time. Rarely ever see any 2 doors.