Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door latch

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Also, is the latch mechanism in the door the same module as many (any) other cars? Is it the same as the back door in my car? Or would I be searching for a unicorn made out of unobtainium?

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a broken latch in my charger and it was obvious where it was broken. Part of the mechanism was broke. As far as working part of the time or not. If it is the latch , it depends on the problem. Maybe it could be cleaned and regreased but it is hard to tell without looking at it. Or it could be just worn out.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 04-19-2018 at 10:32 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    yes it is the same as other years/ models but I would have to check part numbers to be sure exactly which ones. I`m pretty sure the back door latch is different. I will check part numbers tomorrow.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (04-19-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    front and rear door latch are a different part number. two door and four door front driver door latch shows the same part number 4310529. 76-80 f body same number, also same as 80-81 Lebaron, 77-84 Diplomat, 80-84 Gran Fury and many others I am sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (04-20-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I guess my plan is to get the hinge squared away and hope I don't have to do anything with the latch. I can put my fingers between the roof and the door bow. They didn't used to fit in there and I'm pretty sure my fingers didn't change size...

United States
    Thanks
    Finally removed my driver's door. When I got it all apart I found that I had prepped the wrong hinge for this job (passenger front lower instead of driver front lower) from my set of spares. Doh! Too late now...

So I put it back together with the not prepped hinge. That was so much fun I may just carry off some kind of "Count of Monte Cristo" level plot to be sure I never have to do that again.

But finally got the door hung in the right place with the right alignment.

And... No better than before on the latching.

So I got the door all apart and got the latch out. With it out of the door where I can actually see it I found a spring that wasn't doing anything, but I could see what it was supposed to be doing. One arm was broken on a torsion spring.

So I cut the heads off the riveted part, made a spring, and re-riveted the thing back together. After that, installation was the reverse of removal except for the little plastic clip I broke on the actuating rod for the outside handle and the outside lock.

It's all back together and it works like new.

Phew! What a relief to have that squared away. And what a shock that the parts store actually had the little plastic bit I needed at 5:01 on a Sunday.

Thanks everyone for the direction and encouragement with this one. For some reason I just hate getting inside doors, but it really wasn't all that bad considering.

Hanging the door, OTOH. If I never do that again I'll be ok with it. Unfortunately I don't see a way to paint the car without taking the doors off.