Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Sender for 76 Volare

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Fuel Sender for 76 Volare

Does anyone know if the part/seller in this ebay sale is a solid legit part? I haven't seen mine up close so I don't even know if it looks right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-76-an...26e1%7Ciid%3A1

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77superpak's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, this is a good part. I have bought this part from them. The only issue I had was with the locking ring that came with it. It didn't seal well. I reused the original locking ring and everything was fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 77superpak For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (03-29-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks!

United States
    Thanks
    My new sender unit showed up. It goes from 78 ohms down to 5.5. I guess it will read really really full when it's full. Anyone think that will burn up my guage by having the resistance go so low? That would about double the current and power through the guage and 5v supply in the cluster.

I could find somewhere to add in 5 ohms, but then it would read empty a good deal before it is.

I can't risk installing this until I get the other car back on the road first.

United States
    Thanks
    Just went to put in my sender and problem.

The new one has a single fuel pickup line.

The original has a vent return line.

I don't see a good way to transfer the sender to the old bracket. I don't have a welder suitable to put another line through the new bracket.

Is there some kind of drill and thread in barb that would be safe for such a vent line? I don't know what is on the back of the vent line inside the tank. I figure I won't take it apart until I work this out.

Thanks.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I never added a line to a sender but I read where some have done it. IIRC, one guy said he drilled a hole smaller then the tube and used a punch to open it to the needed size. The punch rolled the metal back to make a lip for support and a better seal. Then he soldered it. Is your car a old police car or a Cali car? Can you post a pic of the old sender? Part number on it?
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 05-21-2018 at 10:26 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Your technique sounds great to add a line. But for some strange reason I think I'll go the oposite route and move the sender from the new unit to the old unit. The new unit seems to be made from .040 and the old unit is .043, so I'd rather stay with the old unit. I found the wiper in the wire wound resistor broken off the shaft. I almost had it rebuilt by soldering it back on, but in the end the foot broke off the wiper. New sending unit it is.

I believe mine came from Oregon, but I don't know for sure. I'm certain it wasn't a fleet car as it had a 7 1/4 rear end although it was originally 'harvest gold' or whatever the name for that color is. I don't know when in 76 it was built, but it seems to have all the unobtainium parts included. Still, I think I'm doing alright working on it.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The reason I asked was that the older police cars(C body) had a special sending unit. I don`t know if that applied to the F body. I was thinking out loud trying to figure out why your car was different from the other F bodies. Also the California emissions cars had a special sending unit. There should be a part number on the old unit. As far as changing the parts from one sender to the other I wondered about switching that part myself and I was thinking about how hard it would be to do it correctly.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 05-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    I don't have a micro spot welder, so I'm afraid TIG is going to be the answer to move the sender to the old assembly. I've wanted one for a long time now for a bunch of projects. Now I've pulled the trigger on it.

I drilled the spot welds on the old unit. I have the tube ready. After I brush up a bit with the welder after I get everything I'll punch the welds on the new one and move it over. A lot of work to go to in order to not eliminate the second line.

I guess that is just more evidence on top of not being able to see anything at all in the ink blots...

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    I don't have a micro spot welder, so I'm afraid TIG is going to be the answer to move the sender to the old assembly. I've wanted one for a long time now for a bunch of projects. Now I've pulled the trigger on it.

I drilled the spot welds on the old unit. I have the tube ready. After I brush up a bit with the welder after I get everything I'll punch the welds on the new one and move it over. A lot of work to go to in order to not eliminate the second line.

I guess that is just more evidence on top of not being able to see anything at all in the ink blots...
    CONGRATS! A tig and plasma cutter are on my bucket list for tools.