Thread: Speedometer Cable

Aspen and Volare Senior Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Speedometer Cable

Anyone have a tip or trick to connecting up the speedometer cable in an F-body?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you mean at the speedo? For that (with the cluster out), I pull the cable housing out, it'll slide through the firewall grommet. Then reach behind and plug it in. When you put the cluster back in, it will push back through the grommet.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Senior Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, at the speedo. PO had it discinnected. Was hoping not to disconnect the gauges from the circuit board but you were right—the whole cluster has to be together before connecting up the speedo. In fact, seemed like the speedo had to click in before the gauges were fully set—so I was able to verify the connection first. Many thanks!

The tip I would add is to remove the plexiglass first. This way I didn’t have to stress about scratching it!

Now to see if the speedo works—when it decides to be spring again.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a metal clip at the speedo housing and all you do is push the cable up to the back of the speedo until it clicks. If it doesn`t click then maybe the clip is bent or broke. Do you have the correct cable? 76 and 77 cables are a oddball. 78 and up use a different cable but I thought that someone said that the newer cable would still plug on but I think the metal clip gets in the way.

Ok, I see you got it.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 04-18-2018 at 09:13 PM.