Thread: Fuel Lines

Aspen and Volare Senior Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Fuel Lines

In my 1980 Volare wagon with a Slant Six, I discovered what looks like a third line running back to the gas tank. It follows the frame and ends below the alternator. FSM seems to indicate this as a fuel return or a vapor line (there is one line running up to the charcoal can). Is that correct and should I be using a fuel filter with three ports? Or can this be ignored and/or plugged? Thanks for any insight.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Not familiar with the 80 set up but if it is a vent you don`t want to block it. Someone here may know for sure.

Aspen and Volare Member plymouthcranbrook's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    i will see what my 1980 sedan with the 6 has and try and report back. Do you have a manual?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I checked deeper in the manual; it says “some applications” use the three-way “filter separator” but it’s not specific. Some 6 cylinder diagrams show the three-way unit; others show the two-way.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If it's what I'm thinking of, my 1981 D150 had one. It would be where the 3rd line from the filter (comes out the side of the filter) would hook to. It's sort of a fuel bleed port. My understanding is it was to help prevent vapor lock by giving air bubbles a route out of the fuel system and back to the tank.. If you don't have the 3 line filter, you can plug that line off to keep dirt out. The tank is vented through the line to the canister. Just be sure the line is hooked to the tank on the other end first!

I do know that my truck had problems in hot weather, after a hot soak, until I got the correct filter and hooked the return line back up. The restart was a problem. When I bought it, it had a regular filter installed. With the correct filter installed, problem solved.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

SpeedBanana1977 (06-19-2018)

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My 318 has the three lines. I have it hooked up now, but I'm pretty sure it was bypassed years ago when I got it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to doublechaz For This Useful Post:

SpeedBanana1977 (06-19-2018)