Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RattleTrap is the new owner and administrator of Aspenandvolare.com

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Facebook is totally unsuited to what we are doing here. It surprises and disapoints me that so many people can't see that. But we can keep it up and show them how knowledge is passed around.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to doublechaz For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-13-2018)

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    IMO, Facebook is just a place to BS with others and has occasional good info that gets passed around. Some have some really good knowledge but it gets unrecognized sometimes because of all the other interference generated by others. It isn`t my cup of tea. One example was someone was looking for a new or nos gas tank for a 76 volare. After it was stated multiple times it is not available, more then a couple people were insisting they were available and just just kept posting places like rock auto. etc. And some continued to argue it was available over and over. It gets hard to weed out the good info from all the other static.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 11-13-2018 at 08:28 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-13-2018)

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Fb attraction is stupid simple one log in to great variety.

We have an all models of the era group on there with enviable membership participation numbers.

Downside, it has lost thousands of pictures and posts which contained great tech from very knowledgeable people, just because Fb updated and deleted them.

The goal here is simple to say though difficult to achieve. Restore the still existent archives of this site. Simplify posting. Draw the participation over here to where Zuckerberg can't just delete our accumulated knowledge without consideration or notice.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a FB acct for a few months but after getting put in jail for the second time, for "hate speech", I said screw it and deleted my acct. The "hate speech"? All I did was state conservative views and debunk the liberals by using (gasp) facts. There was no hate about it. Obviously that had nothing to do with cars. If stating your opinion, and backing it up with proven, known facts is hate speech then I want no part of it. It was also the same time Zuckerberg was testifiying before congress and after hearing him talk, GOOD BYE. FB rant over.

I prefer a format like this site where there's different sections to post things in and it stays where you left it. On FB, if you make a post and go back a day later it's either gone without a trace or 87 million posts back.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-14-2018), White Aspen R/T (11-14-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    Fakebook does have a search function within groups like Mopar M, J, F & R but itís not a highly ideal platform for keeping track of topics. Then despite what Zuck would like to believe not everyone is on Fakebook. It would be great to leverage Fakebook to drive people here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnRogers For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-14-2018)

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Facebook reminds me of an out of town bar. Fun small talk. A lot of chaff. Sometimes you might even learn a little something. But you can't go back there and find out something you heard there before. And no one I know goes there with the purpose of learning something.

But who wants to go to the bar and talk with strangers about fluff all the time?

Here is a group of friends.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to doublechaz For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-14-2018)

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nope not a FB kind of guy.

Yes Matt I would love to see all the old tech info that was on the old site. You like me spent a lot of time and effort try to find, scan, copy, and post here all those parts, service pages. I'm not the swiftest on the computer end of things and what would take some one a couple of minutes would sometimes take me a hour or so. Maybe more.
    It kind of discouraged me when the big crash happened in the year of 15' lol

Thanks again Matt, I know your up for the challenge.
    1980 roadrunner

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kent For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-14-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, and also my apologies. I didn't intend to lead anybody toward a deserved rant. It's worth letting it out though. The comparison is needed in noting our value here. With a restoration of our archives, we can show that value solidly in that the knowledge is not lost after posting. That's there's no NPC censorship, because there's no need for such public discussion although it's available with a second log-in. Not difficult, and not in everyone's face either just because they visited. The other community standards of decency apply as any other online platform.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
    Fakebook does have a search function within groups like Mopar M, J, F & R but it’s not a highly ideal platform for keeping track of topics. Then despite what Zuck would like to believe not everyone is on Fakebook. It would be great to leverage Fakebook to drive people here.

Nail on the head John. Three days after posting valuable life learned skills and experiences, it's buried there. Three months later, even if you bookmarked the educational post, it may no longer exist. It's like you have to go back to the old days of printing everything to your personal filing cabinet if you want to keep it. At least we no longer have 28K modem connections. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Facebook reminds me of an out of town bar. Fun small talk. A lot of chaff. Sometimes you might even learn a little something. But you can't go back there and find out something you heard there before. And no one I know goes there with the purpose of learning something.

But who wants to go to the bar and talk with strangers about fluff all the time?

Here is a group of friends.

I've found the platform very useful in the sharing of knowledge and meeting hundreds of people who remain engaged in our interests on an almost daily basis. But you're right, it's not the same. Not like sitting around the fire pit bench racing with friends. I don't wish to change the "Vibe" of what we have here like I've seen happen to other forums. As a regular patron though, I do think "the bar in town" has a lot of good people who will enjoy improvements in user friendliness (I swear these kids today who are carrying our torch have trouble with this). These "townies" should also recognize as value added, that it is easily searchable of a long history of that knowledge related to their exact topic of need. It is not a dumpster where yesterday's answer no longer exists and the question requires repeating in public for the ten thousandth time. We need people who are conversation starters, and we need those who are so technical that the audience falls asleep, but wakes for the finale. And we need that sarcastic joker too. Even if he rubs half the people the wrong way. People love to complain about something. But the lurker is as equally valuable because you never know when he will speak up with that one tidbit that puts everybody on the floor. That's my long way of saying that I hope to expand our circle of friends.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 11-14-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    Volare Magnet

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

7T8 Custom (11-14-2018)

Aspen and Volare Senior Member DCAspen's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats Matt,I'm going to be the 1st to hopefully have something changed on the site,How about getting rid of the Birthday wishes to people that haven't been on this site in years. Thanks DCAspen

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DCAspen For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (11-14-2018)

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DCAspen View Post
    Congrats Matt,I'm going to be the 1st to hopefully have something changed on the site,How about getting rid of the Birthday wishes to people that haven't been on this site in years. Thanks DCAspen
    Yeah, when we start generating some traffic again that will become a priority. That and the "Thanks" thing annoys me. Why do I have to be thankful? Can't I be any of half a dozen Emoji's about it? Sometimes I'd like to share that I'm having a Hearty Laugh without saying a word, or equally frustrated without saying a word. To be involved in your posting despite not having anything of commentary value to add to it. Just that it made me feel something which may not be "Thanks" in particular.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 01-15-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Cuz I felt like it.
    Volare Magnet