Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pedal "dress up" bezel

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The throttle pedal came today. I eyeballed it and it's about 2" longer below the pivot than an F-body pedal, which should work out perfectly with my relocate pedal assy, making it less awkward to use. That's the theory anyways. I'll know better once it's installed. Above the pivot it's the same length.

Holding it up to the original pedal, it's going to look WAY better.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought it was going to be longer since it had the older part number. That was what the pedal I ordered years ago was supposed to be but someone at Chrysler decided that the shorter one would be fine and changed the part number. Glad it all worked out for you.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Big pedal must be an early car (76-77) thing. Aside from my Super Coupe that's mostly all I ever had til 5yrs ago and I never noticed that even my 78's have the short pedal til I looked as a result of this post. Strange. Now I gota go look at the 77 and earlier B-bodies. I've only ever had square headlight B's. Maybe it's entirely a date thing? Is there a date on the superceding part number?
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The pedal I got must have sat around for like 45 years. It had the IBM punch card attached to it yet. Not sure when they quit using those but it must have been a very long time ago. What I mean is, it probably isn't a service part made in the 1980's or something (I'm guessing).
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    A bit of useless trivia. I just noticed the Aspen has the exact same throttle pedal as my '96 Dakota. One of the things I always liked about Mopar, they use the same part for years and years, on many different models. That helps a lot, especially with F-body's where certain parts are seemingly made from unobtanium, until you find out a few of those parts also fit the almighty '64-'74 Mopars or late '70's/early '80's models (like B-body) that the part is available for. In some cases, even though a part doesn't look identical, it fits and functions the same way as the original. Unless you're going for a 100% correct restoration, that's fine also.

Brake pedal trim didn't get here yet. Hopefully tomorrow I won't feel like crap and can get the throttle pedal installed. I just sneezed about 100 times which reduced the pressure in my head by a factor of ten so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's a good sign.
    Last edited by aspen79; 12-29-2018 at 06:54 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Rattle Trap, I was talking about a pedal I ordered for my 73 Charger which is/was longer then the f body pedal. Chrysler superseded it to a later short pedal and I never used it on my charger. I don`t think 76-77 is any different from 78 79 or 80.

United States
    Thanks
    Aspen79, your were lucky to get it for that price. That was a good deal. I found the NOS trim for the brake pedal on ebay too but two of the tabs were broke off so it was basically useless. Yeah, the IBM card dates it early 70`s I believe.

United States
    Thanks
    I was perusing the Kramer Automotive Specialties (where the throttle pedal came from) website and they seem to have very reasonable prices on the things they sell. For NOS I would have expected at least double, or even triple, the $35 price, especially for something you wouldn't think there are very many in existence.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have bought a couple of things from them as well and found their prices to be quite reasonable compared to some other NOS pricing.

United States
    Thanks
    A slight hiccup on the gas pedal. It'll be fine but on the new pedal, the pivot hole on one side or the lever is 5/16" while the other is 1/4". The original is 1/4" on both sides with a roll pin. (hard to see in the photo though) I found a nylon thingy (think it's the insert for a headlamp adjuster or something) that's darn close and will take care of the problem with a little more fitting. I'll glue it in the 5/16" holes to bring them down to 1/4".

Only other hiccup is getting the gosh darnit pedal out of the car to drive the roll pin out and in. The nuts on the firewall are all but impossible to get at being down behind the head and the cyl head which is about an inch from the firewall but,,,,,,,,,,,,I got it! Getting the nuts back on,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,that'll be the next trick, lol. The last hiccup is the relocated pedal position that makes it get stuck behind the end of the HVAC plenum but it does come out,,,,,,,just.

Then again, I just found this which in theory, would eliminate the need for the spacer bushing. Hmmmmmmm.......

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddeta...?prod=102-GP05
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00179.jpg   pivot pin.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 12-30-2018 at 08:01 PM.