Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well this certainly sucks the big one....

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Well this certainly sucks the big one....

We got 2 1/2" of rain last night and with all the ice and snow, the water can't go anywhere. My back driveway has a drain except it's under who knows how much ice. I tried to keep it clear all winter but lost the battle a month ago.

Walked out to the garage this morning before work when it was still dark. The drive and walkway slope downhill a ways then back up (but looks like not enough) Didn't bother to turn the lights on and as I got halfway out there, splash, wet feet. Damn water was up to my ankles almost. Got a bad feeling when opening the storm door to the garage made a wake. Once inside, son of a......................Kind of sucked all the spirit out of me. Came home early today and chopped, dug and chiseled a path for the water to sort of drain into the yard next to the garage and then stood there with a squeegee for what seemed like an hour, pushing the water away. Once the level was lower than the garage door, went in and opened it up. Water gushed out like a river. Squeegeed as much as I could and have a big fan running full tilt right now. Still need to move everything along the walls and get that water out. Nothing expensive got wet but things in cardboard boxes,,,,,well,,,,,you know what cardboard does with water, soaks it up like a sponge.

First time ever I got more than just a little by the entrance door (usually only in a really heavy downpour). I guess, looking on the bright side, it was clear, clean water and now the floor is a lot cleaner as well, at least as far as the water went. Fortunately, the garage floor slopes towards the door (as per code) and the front is about 4" higher than the door end.

Now I just have to keep an eye on the water level the next couple days and hope for the best. Better yet, going to go out to Menard's this evening and see about buying a pump, if they have any left now that is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00243.jpg   DSC00244.jpg   DSC00245.jpg   DSC00246.jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member plymouthcranbrook's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear you had to deal with that. My garage usually floods this time of year as the snow melts. Learned a long time ago to keep valuables off the floor. I used old pallets from where I used to work to keep things dry. Never more than an inch or so but still.

United States
    Thanks
    A project on the list for this summer is to tear out the 2" drain pipe for the driveway and replace it with a 6". Hopefully that will help keep it from freezing solid with ice, which is what caused the mess. In 20 years, this is the first time the garage has ever gotten flooded so, guess it was only a matter of time. The unusual winter didn't help one tiny it either.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    6" drain pipe with sock over them is what I use for everything.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The sock may cause more problems than it solves. It'd fill with dirt, leaves and other assorted crap that lands on the driveway I would think, especially if there's a downpour deluge type of rain storm. My drain pipe goes from the low part of the driveway and then about 8ft to where the yard drops off a couple feet and exits. When I put the pipe in while doing the driveway out back 20 years ago, the 2" pipe SEEMED like it would be sufficient. Shows what I know! This year it got buried in a foot of ice before I could do anything about it. Snow, then rain, then more snow, followed by below zero and,,,,,,,,,,ice for days.

Got the garage about 95% dried out now. The channel I dug yesterday is doing the job, just. The water level is staying right at the door, but isn't high enough to leak in. Good thing too since it's been raining all day along with the snow melting.

United States
    Thanks
    The sock is a 200 ft roll of cloth wrap you slide around the pipe so no dirt or leaves get in. Takes forever to get them on. It's like a membrane that only allows water to pass thru so your pipe will always flow what it gets instead of slowly filling with crap. And your pipe should be on 2" stone and have at least a foot of stone over it anyhow. So it would be a few years before the dirt filters down to it if you have grass above.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Now I see what you meant. That's not the kind of drain pipe I have. It's more like a small culvert, just a pipe, no weep holes. It goes from the edge of the driveway, where I have the ice chiseled out in the photo, and runs a few feet to the other side of the fence where my yard drops off a couple feet, and exits. Ideally, the grade would be lower than the driveway and no drain would be needed but, for this and that reason, it isn't. A bigger pipe would, in theory, prevent it from becoming totally frozen shut.

My yard is on a slope and one front corner is roughly 8 feet higher then the opposite rear corner 300 feet away, and also slopes west to east. A few feet from where my yard drops off on the one side, it drops another 1-2 feet to the neighbors yard, etc.........Water drainage is always somewhat of an issue when the ground is frozen. Fortunately when it's not frozen, water soaks in and is gone right after the rain stops. Mostly sand, gravel, rocks, bigger rocks and then boulders. The deeper you go, the bigger they get until a few feet down it's like hitting a floor. Main reason very few houses in my neighborhood have a basement. Blasting is required ($$$$). Anyways, I digress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00247.jpg  

United States
    Thanks
    OK. Sounds like your ground is similar to what's found about 15 miles west of me. Nice drainage thru sand and gravel near the surface but a shallow crust over solid limestone base is what they have. Basements require blasting all through that entire part of Ohio so they typically only have mounded tornado shelters that double as root cellars instead. Newer places don't even take such precautions for safety or storage. I wouldn't live somewhere like that. But I also digress. I would suggest a minimum 3" pipe and possibly do two of them in case one gets solid the other slightly uphill keeps flowing longer, or in flash flood and icing situations they do double duty. I'd go ahead and get the weep hole pipe and rotate it sideways so that it pulls from beside itself and flows out also. Sock that. Chances are that you'll never fill the volume of a 3" pipe over the hole level anyhow, but always better safe than sorry. I have 8 downspouts flowing into four 4" pipes with inspection T's where I can throw copper sulfate in and I've never seen them with more than an inch of water in them during a serious rain. I run my holes at about 3 o'clock toward the uphill as they travel sideways on slopes to grab whatever they will from the surrounding ground thru the stone beside them also. Basically a French drain with a pipe. Drainage became a bit of a hobby of mine at this place when I found that heavy rains would create a moat around my house. That was partly because my idiot former neighbor managed to get a variance on building his pond and then also decided to block 80 acres that were draining across my land then his to the main 12" pipe. I took care of mine and helped the field owner a bit with what I could get across mine into a pair of 6" the county ran to a new catch basin on my corner. Between that and him having to put all new tile in that took advantage of the new catch basin and also flowing the other way to the 10" way at his other end it's all good now. And I'm still digressing... Lol!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, those darn rocks. Behind the garage there's a couple of what look like just regular rocks showing but, they're probably more like 50 ton stones. They were going to dig them out when building the garage and got a big surprise! It's not just any old rock, it's granite and that stuff is pretty darn tough.

What worries me is the back yard. It's been sinking in the middle since I bought the house 22 years ago. Used to be at least 2 feet higher, now has turned into a shallow bowl. The part that REALLY worries me is the hole that appeared a couple years ago. Perfectly round, about 3" dia (like an animal hole) except, it has no bottom. I dropped a 30 foot long weighted rope down the hole and it never went slack. This summer I think I'll have someone come in and have a look, just in case. Maybe run a scope down the hole and see what's what. We don't get sink holes up here (no limestone, just granite) but it still makes me cautious. In fact, a line of evergreen trees I planted along the one side were a straight 150 foot long row 15 years ago, now it's on an arc. How the bleep do trees move??????

Anyways, it appears the drain pipe must have opened up. The water was standing in the driveway still at 5pm, went back out about 6pm and,,,,,,,,,,,,it was all gone. Good thing too, it's supposed to rain again on Tuesday. Phew!

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about the water issues. I don`t have flooding problems here mostly due to the sandy soil and ground slope but no basements in this area because of the high water table. Seems like everybody has some issues but some much worse then others. Good luck with dealing with the sinking ground. That is kinda scary. I know i said it before but this past year has been the wettest on record in this area. Seems like it rains every couple days or so.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 03-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.