Thread: Sticky clutch pedal

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Sticky clutch pedal

On release of the clutch the pedal wants to stick for a moment. I will check the normal stuff first like the linkage. Am I to assume the pressure plate is bad if the linkage checks out?

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Check to be sure the linkage is adjusted correctly for about 1" freeplay at the top of the travel. If the pressure plate diaphragm is pushed over center, it's possible for it to get stuck that way. Otherwise, the pressure plate itself is may have something wrong with it.

The over center spring on the pedal can also cause this problem and can be removed if using a diaphragm clutch. The original Borg and Beck (3 finger style) pressure plate needed the spring so the average Joe wouldn't blow his knee out pushing the pedal down but if it's replaced with the diaphragm style, it can kind of "over assist". Without the spring, the pedal will push a little harder but not really all that much.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    When you say freeplay. I assume it means the pedal will move 1 inch before the torque shaft moves? Sorry, I meant clutch fork moves.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 04-21-2019 at 08:15 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Free play is the amount the pedal will move before the clutch release bearing (a.k.a. throwout bearing) contacts the pressure plate. The pedal, torque shaft, rods and fork will move freely with no resistance. The free play is there with a mechanical system so the release bearing isn't spinning all the time and to allow the pressure plate to fully engage. With hydraulic setups, the bearing is always in contact but it's made for that and with hydraulic, there's no need for free play. With mechanical linkage, the biggest reason is to be sure the pressure plate is fully released.

It's adjusted at the rod between the Z-bar and clutch fork. No free play can keep the clutch partially disengaged (and slipping), wear the release bearing out prematurely and/or cause the pressure plate spring to over travel at full pedal, get over centered, and then stick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clutch.gif  
    Last edited by aspen79; 04-21-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Ok, I will check it out. It has been quite a while since I had a stick car. The old brain is fuzzy. LOL

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    The old brain is fuzzy. LOL
    I know exactly what you re talking about, lol