Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My last two craigslist transactions went fine, but I did worry a lot about them for a considerable time. Both were me going to their house, so I only had to worry about things like, is it stolen, or is the title clean and legit? I've done more than one ride along for friends that involved a stiff undershirt and a very loud tool. I agree, it's about time to give up on craigslist.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't really have to worry too much around here. I've only had 3 CL experiences but they all went fine. When I bought my Mustang, when I sold the old front bumper cover and grille off that Mustang, and when I gave away my old Honda lawnmower with the dropped exhaust valve (went to a school's small engine class). All 3 went perfectly fine, no problems, all very nice, honest people. The guy I bought the Mustang from even delivered it right to my house where the money and title were exchanged.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That`s good that you have had good success with craigslist in your area. Around here craigslist it mostly dead. Most places it seems that craigslist is a place for scammers and lowballers. Most people seem to use marketplace now and more local yard sale type places on facebook.

United States
    Thanks
    I kind of scan CL every once in a while and there always seems to be a crap load of stuff for sale locally. Wouldn't know about FB, don't have an account. deleted it a few months ago and (at least in my case), best thing I've done in a long time.

No matter where the ad is, or what they are selling, you still always need to be careful. It's not the 95% of people you need to worry about. It's that 5% that are scammers, losers, criminals, and just general low life wastes of human DNA.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Like I said I glad it works for you but I won`t use it anymore. I could tell some stories about my experiences..

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think it's so much about the venue you find them thru, but that a lot more people just Suck these days. I always got 99% day drinking people wasting my time from CL, and even though it's text on Fb I assume it to be the same basic thing. I've really gotten tired of trying to sell anything and thinking about paying the eBay fees since that's an organized transaction. Might have less trouble interacting with people's various quirks. Look at my stuff, Pay- I ship- done.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    RT, you are right. The one thing is with facebook, you do have a little better idea who you are dealing with. Speaking of the drinking people. One story was I was selling some crab traps last year and the guy said he had cash and asked if I could deliver them. I said if you are close by I could meet up. He wanted to know when I was going to bring them. He was a hour and half away. I said yeah right.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 1 Week Ago at 10:55 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    I've never sold anything on Ebay, have bought many things though. Never had a problem other than the "NOS" gas cap which wasn't NOS but, for $12 I wasn't going to worry about it. At least with Ebay and paying with Pay-Pal, you're pretty much covered if anything goes awry. CL, on your own and FB I would imagine the same thing. Get scammed, too bad.
    Take back the three CL experiences. There was a forth and that was the rust free desert RF fender for my Dakota. Found that on CL and made the 4 hour trip to get it. Was exactly as pictured and advertised. He even had the know flaw (dent) circled in yellow in the photo. Again, no problem at all. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. Only regret was, wish I'd have taken another $100 along and grabbed the not a speck of rust LF fender also, but I didn't.

United States
    Thanks
    Why do people put themselves though such aggravation? I got up around 5:30 this morning and traffic was already backed up on the freeway coming into Rib Mountain. Rib Mt. Drive is 2 miles of nothing but shopping centers, dept. stores, strip malls, restaurants, stand alone stores, etc, etc, etc. and I am going to avoid going anywhere today like the plague. Unfortunately, to go pretty much anyplace, I have no choice other than go on Rib Mt Drive and on a day like today,,,,,,,NO THANK YOU. Rant is over now.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Waited til almost 11 to go out. First thing, my wonderful "connected" car with the Nav System and stuff, decided to open ALL the windows, including the sunroof last night some time. If it had rained or snowed I would have simply taken pix and called the insurance company and demanded they bring me a loaner and tow it for diagnoses. But it was dry so I just closed them all up and headed to the post office in town to mail a bunch of parts to people. And... locked. Nobody home. OK, well let's go to the Library while we're in town. And... locked. Alright. Let's go ahead to the next town, where they have actual stores and stuff and do this... My wife was very proud of me that I simply got into the lane where I would need to be seven stop lights and a mile or so later and calmly got us there without being one of the other heroes jockeying for positions. New phones first. Oh, it's going to be two hours? Alright, lets just hit a couple other places and knock some other crap off the list. Total Fargin ZOO! Bought a total of 4 items. 2 at each place. Before heading back.

Only thing noteworthy was meeting a older fellow diecast collector. I asked him if there were any more of the new Matchbox 68 Dodge D-200's like in his cart on the pegs. He said he didn't know, it was right in front. Now this guy was on the phone checking needs with friends as I walked down the aisle. He's not somebody who randomly snags something. So I start tilting pegs. Crap falling all over as usual. I'm catching them and rehanging them. He laughs and says he gave up and started stuffing them on the shelf below, as I'm scooping a couple off the floor. I satisfied myself that there were no more then moved to the Hotwheels. Brought up that I must have missed #9 in this year's Race Team series while pointing out a #5 Mini Cooper. He said he'd quit collecting those after about 300 variations. But those are the only ones I've ever truly collected other than Mopars, so I continue and still look for the couple I've missed in the early years. Then I brought up his HW VW transporter set. "I have the original issue of that." He said yes he did too, he collects VW's, and pulls out his phone to a pic of an AMAZING display of Redlines in almost EVERY color! He's only missing the Pink. Of course... aren't we all. I mentioned that the only one I have is the Purple and he says that's really valuable now too. Showed me how he has one of the "double paints". Looks black unless you catch the light right. I have a T-bird like that. A little more chit chat about collecting and what we're ever going to do with tens of thousands of cars, some of which we haven't seen in years but recollect vividly later, he mentions how he really isn't as active as during his earlier years. But I'm thinking that in conversation he's already mentioned hitting different places within an hour of where we are, just this week. How I heard him in the distance as I approached, mentioning his next spots to hit yet this morning to the guy on the phone. This guy is Big Time! So I simply wish him Happy Hunting and turn to leave without finding anything there when he says, "young fella.." and I turn back to him holding out the D-200. And he says, "I already have one, you enjoy this one." I'm thinking, you probably have 15, and I almost offered you $5 to let me take that to the registers a couple minutes ago. But I hold back to simply give gracious thanks in appreciation of his sharing the bounty with me. It made my day! I wish I hadn't opened the first one I found or his gift would be the one I have open for display in the memory of a moment between collectors. But displayed or carded, I won't forget. Maybe I'll still find another and be able to open his also and make the custom I envisioned since before finding one at all last week in my meager travels. But then the checkout nearly rivals that amazing experience in that we walked right up to a lady leaving the checkout empty! BINGO!!!!! Walk right up and the items my wife and I had get swiped and We Are Outa There!!!!!!

That moment almost made up for returning to Verizon and getting the absolute worst possible "customer service" rep. But since the previous long story is a Total Rave for my experience among the shipshow, I am not even about to get into the mess that is two new phones we'll have to return tomorrow to get activated because of poor service there.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 1 Week Ago at 04:50 PM.
    Volare Magnet