Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, don't know if this is a rave or not but had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands last Wednesday the 10th and the incisions are healed but the inside area still needs to recover some. I still have numbness in my right three fingers off and on but I hope it all goes away with time. From what I have read it might and it might not.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My hand and fingers seem to move fine except the splint/wrapping on there limits movement a bunch, as it's meant to. It'll probably take some time to get full movement again. Haven't flexed my wrist since the surgery as it's immobilized. One more day, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Hopefully it will get better with some more time. My son in-law had carpal surgery and it came out fine. Just took a little time for him.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Don't know if you guys have been through hand damage repairs before but be grateful. A little numbness is better than months of incredible and painful sensitivity. A tingling numbness is annoying, but it went away for me and I hope it does for you too. Of course anything immobilized like with a splint will atrophy so you'll have to build back the range of motion. Can't even get the range with pressure from the other hand., and don't push your luck. All in due time. A couple of times it took me months to regain. Wish you all the best in your recoveries.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Odd part is, it never really hurt all that bad. Even when it happened wasn't any worse than a normal cut. After having the tendon repaired and when the numbing wore off, it was only a little sore for a couple days. Maybe years and years of hand injuries have numbed the nerves or something. A lot of times I don't realize I'm wounded until I see blood. Then have to search for where it's coming from. On one hand, no pun intended it's good with my job. On the other hand, I worry about how my hands (and arms, and back, and knees, and......) will be 20 years from now if I'm still above ground.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My numbness and tingling comes and goes so I am very hopeful that it goes away the more my hand heals from the incisions.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Alright here's a RANT

There are 12 days of Christmas and not a one of them is in November! But that's not stopping CBS from airing Rudolph two days before Thanksgiving. Grrr... Love the movie, but one holiday at a time please. What's next? Christmas before Halloween? Why not just start it up for Labor Day and make it completely absurd for a whole third of the year? Over a month ahead is already absurd. These corporate advertisers pushing this are like a desperate teenage girl. Annoying as all get out.
    I happen to like Valentines Day. Should I take this opportunity to remind people there's only 12 weeks left til then?
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Rave: My Dad had a significant flesh wound to his primary index finger. When the flesh finally grew back it was all numb. He wasn't ready to accept that so he fidgeted with it any time his hand was free tracing with his thumb from the good to the numb and back. After about 18 months of that stimulation all the feeling was back a little at a time.

Rant: Here we DID have Christmas stuff up in some of the stores before Halloween. Stop this world, I want to get off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to doublechaz For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (1 Week Ago)

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Same here... I was putting Halloween stuff in my cart and taking it over and placing it in the Christmas displays in the stores. LOL! I forgot about that.

And that's the same thing I did with the dead spot in my one finger too. Just kept rubbing it cuz it bugged me I didn't feel anything there. But I could feel the pressure as I got closer to the parts that did have sensation so I was hoping to draw that into the dead zone. It worked for me too. It was sure a lot better than the painful sensitive one, but I mangled that pretty good so figure there were mislocated nerve endings in how it was put back together. Funny thing is that's a lot less sensitive now than anything previously undamaged after many years. Learned another lesson with that one these many years later too. Damaged it again. Zipped it in the table saw a bit deep into the end. So I go to the ER all calmly and stuff to get it put back together. They're asking me what's wrong and I'm using my thumb and another finger to make the wound talk like a mouth, "I was a baa-ad finger... putting myself where I didn't belong..." and stuff like that. What's my pain level? I don't know, maybe a 3 or 4? It's obviously damaged pretty good here. Well it turns out that if you don't take an injury seriously enough, they don't either. They cleaned it and numbed it and left me sit there for 2 hours til the numbing wore off. Then they told me they couldn't close the wound, because it had been too long already, bone fragments and "for fear of infection". Well I'm super sorry for not injuring myself in more sanitary conditions dontcha know! But I could have cleaned it at home if that's all there is too it. Could have saved myself an entire afternoon sitting around doing nothing and been back to work instead. I've picked bone chips out of healing flesh before as they make their way to the surface and need cut out. What's the big deal? Total waste of time. Oh, AND MONEY! ER visits are never cheap. So I went home and fixed it up myself and got back to work finally.

But I learned from that. So last summer when I thought I cut my toe off and was pacing around on my heel trying to figure what to do next before calling my wife to bring the car around, and mostly just angry that I ruined a $150 pair of boots, I went to the ER again. And we got it out to discover I only had an open fracture to bone. Cleaned it real good, and I behaved myself... Well mostly. I didn't make the wound talk like a puppet mouth anyhow. LOL! So the sexy nurse lady asks me about my pain level and I'm thinking, hmmm 3 or 4 didn't get me any treatment so... 10. If I say TEN you'll treat it, right? Yep, turns out they do! Next thing she's asking me if I'm allergic to morphine and I'm just feeling pretty honest and answer, "'Heck' NO that's the greatest 'STUFF' in the world! Are you kidding? All I gota do is say TEN and I get Morphine? Pfft, what else can I 'Booger' up?"

She's laughing, her assistant is laughing, I'm laughing, My wife is just over there rolling her eyes at us...
    Well they cleaned and dressed it and made me an ortho appointment and still refused to close it again, but whatever. I was feeling REAL GOOD about it!
    I got "Treated"
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I am so glad the medical treatment you get around here is nothing like you describe. We must have it pretty good when it comes to things like that. I got back from the orthopedic therapist where she made me a custom molded plastic splint. One that holds my wrist so it can only move about 15 degrees, and one that keeps my index finger extended. It still limits what I can do (and that's why they're on) but at least I can use my other 3 fingers again and actually grip a pen to write, more or less. It'll be another couple weeks with these, along with weekly visits to her. It's getting there, but a ways to go and I am following the instructions exactly. Sure don't want to end up having to start from scratch. Doesn't hurt either that the therapist is a very nice, and very nice looking, woman. lol.

Rant: I got done there about 5pm, just in time for the heaviest traffic. Traffic just to get on the freeway, then even more on the freeway, then I get to Rib Mt exit and stop before even being on the ramp. Once at the lights (ramp is 2 lanes that becomes 3 near the end) about 1/8 mile long then there's Rib Mt Drive so you stop, go, stop, go, just to go the 4 blocks to the lights where I turn to get home, at this time of evening. Better yet, I exit at the 2nd busiest interchange in the entire metro area. Sigh..................Reminds me why I take "the back way" to work instead of the freeway/Interstate. The majority of people drive just fine.
    The sheer volume is what I hate, especially when it's dark out. Guess it could be worse, it could be Friday evening

Yeah I know, traffic could be worse like in Chicago or Los Angeles. Last time (and hopefully LAST time) I was in Chicago, it took over an hour to get from downtown near the lakeshore to I-90. Then it was 2 hours before we got over 15 mph. Traffic finally lightened up near Belvedere. We left to come home at 4:20pm and got to Belvedere at 9:30pm. Oddly, the next 200 or so miles on I-90 and then I-39 to get home took less time, getting home just before midnight. Downtown to Belvedere is only 70 miles, give or take a couple. NEVER AGAIN! L.A. was no better. Time needed to go 2 whole miles on the 405 freeway for example was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2 1/2 hours. It was 8 lanes of dead stop.
    Top speed on that stretch was maybe 3 mph. How do those people do that everyday, day after day, year after year? No thank you! Another place I will NEVER go to ever again. Don't even get me started about LAX........................... If there was a next time, and there WON'T be, I'd crawl home on my hands and knees before going through that airport again, seriously. I am so thankful we moved from Santa Monica to WI in 1975, for many reasons, including the traffic.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 08:35 AM.