Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You nailed it. I can hardly see anything out of my 09 300. It won't go when I hit the gas until EPA says it can. It won't let off the gas when I tell it until EPA also approves. The gas pedal literally does nothing in reverse until you mash it so far that you jump out of the space. Or you can wait literally 20 seconds and it will finally up the idle speed enough to creep out. Hit the brake and start that process all over again. At least I have physical climate controls and a physical volume knob. Everything else is touch screen.

The one you didn't mention is that everything is a light shinning in your face at night, removing all night vision from your eyes. Can't have a speedo. Have to have a computer screen showing a picture of a speedo. Plus the giant touch screen just to the side also night blinding you.

I'll take my 95 Subaru or 76 Volare any day. The 300 is just for cross country when the other two have a problem preventing 4000 mile trips.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Browser crash or something lead to double post.
    Last edited by doublechaz; 1 Week Ago at 08:59 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I am glad that both my Dodge cars have an 8.4" screen that do a bunch of things, but along with that I can change the radio station or volume with steering wheel controls and just reach over without looking to change the fan speed or temperature.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    There are some that have basically no "manual" controls for the HVAC or radio. The best part about things like that is, when the module crashes or the display screen fails, you can't do anything except bring it to someone like me and get it fixed,,,,,,,,,,at a heart attack inducing price. Price out some of the control modules and you'll know what I mean. Recently replaced the touch screen/module assy on a an SUV (forget what make & model right now) and the part was $1,400, as an example. After replacing the actual module, (after the car sits undrivable for a week or two or three, waiting for said module to come off back order lately) there's still the cost of programming it to the vehicle. The programs are $50-$80 each (depending on manufacturer, along with another hour or so of labor cost. I think the '08 Mustang will be the newest car I ever own. It still has 3 knobs for the HVAC (although the control head is a module to control the electric actuators), the radio has knobs and buttons, it DOESN'T have anti lock brakes or traction control, and the electronic throttle works as well as any cable operated one does. No touch screen, no "nanny" trying to belay my input orders.............It even isn't all that bad to see out of, although the rear window that's almost on the roof and tiny 1/4 windows don't help visibility, it's easy to see out of compared to some. That said, my Aspen has the same thing with the sloped rear window and 1/4 window louvers. Difference is, the mirrors are smaller so it's actually tougher to see behind.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, I know all about the costs and modules on back order plus the older cars where the modules or control computers are not even available. I have a sneaking suspicion that in the not so distant future there are going to be a lot of people without a car they have been hanging onto for 15-20 years out of luck and without a ride.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    We do run into that from time to time. Around here, the majority of vehicles are less than twenty years old due to the rust problem but,,,,,,we've had more than one older car or truck get scrapped because a module it needs is long discontinued, there are no remans available and used is also unobtanium. Don't even get me started when a module goes dumb and forgets things so it works, but doesn't work correctly anymore. Worst is when it involves the security system and it refuses to recognize the key for example. Then you're screwed. Basically unrepairable. That and, by the time the car is to that point, even if the module IS available, the cost exceeds the value of the car so,,,,,,,,,,off it goes on a rollback.

One problem with used modules is, is it any good? It might fix one concern and cause 3 more. Also, certain modules will only work in the original vehicle and can't be programmed to work with a different VIN, so used isn't an option then either.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 10:17 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    To add to the back order deal, seems like everything is on back order thanks to over reaction to the shamdemic and now, we're paying the price. Ever drive past a new car dealer lately? Inventory of new vehicles is, um,,,,,,,,,,,,slim. My boss ordered a new F150 back in March for a combination of personal and business use, and they still can't give an estimated production date. He might get his new truck just in time for winter,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    HA! You're a funny guy! They probably made his truck before end of May, and it's sitting there waiting for chips. Shortages, of EVERYTHING. Run them out the door and steal everything you can remove to put it back in line stock to run another one out the door. Can't replace thousands of worker's line time, but it only takes a couple guys to take parts off or put them on when you finally get more. When TSRHTF, shut the plants down for a week and let the vendor suppliers catch up again. Certain plants have been prioritized, but not even KYT is beyond the reach of the industry problems. Nobody wants to work for the suppliers for what they're paying. UAW wages have become a pathetic joke, total loss of the Blue Collar American Dream, and nobody with half of any sense wants to Work for the Manufacturers for what they're offering either. But don't get me started because I might go on all day and into the night.

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...d-cant-be-sold
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Actually the dealer can check the intended build date and if it's been built. It's a no on both counts. He special ordered it. All the ones dealer ordered for stock have 8,000 things he didn't want, or to have to pay for. Dealers don't stock order just a regular everyday truck. They always seem to only have fully loaded top of the line trucks with a sticker that says $60,000 or more, and half the stuff they're loaded up with,,,,,,,,most people will never use, or even know they exist.

I may be wrong but I think a big part of the problem is, they rely on Communist China for way too many crucial parts.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ah, well if you're looking and the vin is not in the system, it's truly not there. I know that certain things are scheduled for production only when it's possible for a first time build thru and a special order would fit that bill. So it's surely sitting in a digital stack of other similar builds awaiting it's turn. I agree that they've put way too much nonsense into things today. Technology that shouldn't be there excepting that they're trial running capabilities so that people can become totally incompetent and the vehicles become autonomous. It could easily become that because of my social credit score, the vehicle says I can go here but not there. Or the vehicle says we're going there, but there's a GPS glitch and that's off the edge of a cliff. More corporate/ government control over things.

Have you ever heard the Onstar commercial where they claim the ability to safely pull a stolen vehicle to the side of the road? It's a short jump from that technology to simply delivering the operator to the police station. So maybe your module malfunctions and it costs you 3 days in jail for grand theft auto because wherever it delivered you to doesn't have time to verify your information and leaves it for the judge on Monday morning. I can see technology violating due process laws and it will be "just one of those things we have to live with." Of course they're working on making it better, sorry for your inconvenience. The merger of corporations and government is fascism. Of course they're working to make it better through technology. But for whom? And if your car becomes an electric model? The whole shebang runs on their whims of control.

Scary thoughts, but without becoming political about the implications of where technology is today and where it goes next, it does seem awfully funny that the only shortages are in items that would allow nations other than China to resume Commercial Production. I don't see empty shelves at Walmart. Do you? My consumerism of foreign made products is not inhibited. Only my ability to go to work and make a product that would benefit the end user and the corporation that chooses to manufacture it where I live, and of course me and my family, and the communities in this nation where we spend our income outside of those foreign made necessities. Tomorrow is a down day. As will be all next week. And we are a top priority product so what's that say?
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 1 Week Ago at 10:34 AM.
    Volare Magnet

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (1 Week Ago)