Page 54 of 79 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Senior Member klb6469's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Had 10 degree's on the old meter this morning and some snow over night.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Not going to call this a rant or rave, more like a "sigh.............." Got home from work today and found water dripping out of the soffit in the kitchen. That's where the water pipes are so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my evening is shot, lol. Suspect a solder joint is coming loose or something like that. Have to yell at the plumber that put them in 21 years ago. Oh wait, it was me Shut the water off to the kitchen so after dinner, the destruction begins.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Good luck Mr. plumber!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That is horrible - good luck!

United States
    Thanks
    Wasn't too bad. As I suspected, leaking at an elbow. How it took 21 years to start leaking is a mystery.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Is it well water or city water? Well water around my way can eat up pipes fairly quickly.

United States
    Thanks
    It's city water. Not sure if it's a factor or not but it's very hard water. Turns the tub and toilet brown, shower head green, etc , which is a good excuse to clean them more often, lol. Stainless kitchen sink turns white and if you don't dry everything right away, massive water spots. I know, get a softener, right? Easier said than done. It's a space (and money) thing.

How about a proper rant? Thursday we're forecast to get 4-8" of snow. That wouldn't be the end of the world in and of itself but 30-40 mph wind also predicted at the same time. THEN this weekend. "highs" below zero and windchill of -40 to -50. Just shoot me now........ I can tell you where I WON'T be this weekend,,,,,,,outside.

United States
    Thanks
    I have a water softener but I have well water.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member klb6469's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Same here, but the iron content is so bad that without the softener, you wouldn't last 5 minutes in the shower. The smell would kill you.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You guys make me feel lucky. Thankfully I don't need a softener but I do have a whole house filter on the "rural water" inlet. That reminds me, I need to change the filter again. My hair looks like crap. At least I'm on pipes old enough to not require a pressure regulator at the inlet. If you don't have a filter between the main shut off and those they get destroyed inside within ten years. Whole bunch of people in a neighboring community's outer reaches that just got tapped in a while back starting to figure that out right now. Beats hauling water from a pump station in the middle of the winter though.

Not looking forward to more snow coming across at us. Hope it stays north. But that's where the wind is out of right now. Got around 6" over the past few days. Made some nice drifts. It's ten this morning. But 30 felt almost like 40 yesterday with only a light breeze.

So anyhow, I've got a rant.
    I had some boiler issues a while back. And the plumbing thing reminds me to mention it. Stupid boiler kept over running, pumping a shut down unit to keep the water circulating. And well, it finally blew out the pump motor. The error code usually means the ignitor is going bad, but I'd just replaced it in my pre-season cleaning. Made no sense. They're always good for a whole winter and often well into the next year. So the boiler is messed up and the pump is blown. GREAT! I look online and everybody is getting $229- $279 for Taco 0011 F4's. I could have ordered one and knew I'd pay a premium to have an HVAC company order it for me, but you gota offer them something, right? What's it going to be? 15-25% mark up, like anytime you have Pro's put parts that they acquire for you on something? I'll take that hit and call a local place that seems to have a good reputation because I also had a leaking main pipe out of the boiler, right after an elbow fitting. It's an excuse to get them in to fix the bigger concern that the leak could get worse. Another of those deals where it just mysteriously decided to develop a tiny leak for no obvious reason. I'd had it apart five years ago and the probably 50 year old pipe just refused to sweat shut again. In final desperation at that point I'd cut a sleeve joint in half and put it over the section with a good slathering of JB Weld and a couple pipe clamps. Well, it was starting to have a tiny bit of water seeping out again and after what I'd already been through I wanted somebody else to come give a go at it this time. Called the Pro's. After a week and a half the guy is finally dispatched to my house. Came in, replaced the motor in in ten minutes and cut the whole section of pipe and elbow out. Had this crazy sawzall looking crimping tool that installs O-ringed fittings. Didn't like the idea cuz I knew what was coming, but he swore by the thing. Well it sealed, but of course the crimper bends the crap out of the pipe, so you're completely and only relying on that O-ring for the seal. Like that's going to be good for more than ten years, and now my pipe is all bent into a hexagon crimp too. But those issues were fixed and I was happy for the moment. I bled the pipes I'd sent the air into the system thru to keep it isolated, and opened it all up again to start sorting the function issues the guy didn't even address cuz it ran fine for him at least as long as he was here. After fiddling with boiler settings for another week I went ahead and ordered another new ignitor. BINGO! Apparently saving 20% over other vendors on that had gotten me a bad one. All good again with a new one! Right? Well then I got the bill. Combined $200 for labor and destination charges. Totally reasonable. I guess I would have preferred the tech had to bleed the pipes too for $200, but we're all good. Wait. $685 for the Pump? THREE TIMES RETAIL for the PUMP? WTF is THAT? I call them and politely ask if that's a typo. 300% mark up on parts? Surely that's a mistake. well the nice lady on the other end said she'd have to have the service manager call me back. Yeah, you think that ever happened? NOPE. Basically what I make of this now is a line out of the movie Good Fellas. F U Pay Me.
    Volare Magnet