Page 71 of 79 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and Raving

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Never head of Ruthinium before. At work, I can recall a number of times I fixed a drivability problem by taking out E3 plugs and putting in regular plugs of the correct type. It seems especially worse the newer the vehicle is.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It is NGK's cutting edge plug. They make it sound like it is a hotter plug that will outlast iridium laser plugs.... One problem I read is that it is very hard and prone to cracking if touched. Seems to be around the same price point $14-17/plug.

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/product...um-spark-plugs

United States
    Thanks
    I don't think this is really a rant but more of a son of a you know what thing. I hadn't been over to dad's house since last weekend. When I walked in the garage, there was an odd noise and when I opened the door to the house, I heard water gushing. Noticed the windows were dripping with condensation, went to the basement and holy crap. Water just pouring out of the ceiling, the entire basement is at least 1/2" deep in water, and half the stuff down there is soaked where the water ran from the ceiling, not to mention sitting in water. Got the main shut off and thankful the old gate valve (that was stuck) got replaced by a ball valve a few years ago so it actually worked. Looks like the toilet valve in the main bathroom blew apart and since the lid wasn't on the tank, the water sprayed all the way to the ceiling. If the cover had been on, it may have at least contained the flood somewhat, maybe. About 1/2 the upstairs floors are either damp or soaked. Carpet is squishy and the hardwood floor in my old bedroom (right next to the bathroom) is bowed up at least 3" in the center. What a mess. I'm meeting the guy from RestoreU, which I happen to live right next door to, over there in a couple hours and he's going to assess the situation and come up with a plan of attack to get it cleaned up. I know insurance will cover most or all of it, and the estate trust will cover what insurance doesn't but still..........

Let's add a rave in here however. I mainly went over there this morning to do some yard clean up and mow the grass, get rid of the leaf drift that accumulated in front of the garage, etc and mow the grass. Surprise,,,,,somebody did all of that at some point last week. Don't know who yet but they deserve, and will get, a HUGE thank you very much! Nice people in that neighborhood, I truly mean that, you couldn't ask for any better. Helps also I suppose that the majority of them are retired and have spare time to do things like that, even though they don't have to. They all enjoyed my dad's company and the stories they've been telling give me a warm feeling.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

doublechaz (10-18-2021)

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Great to have good neighbors there. Really lucky you got to that burst pipe relatively quickly too. Shame about the hardwood floor.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I don't know how quick it was. It could have been like that for a week. Not only the floors, but a lot of other things too. I suppose, that's what insurance is for and, insurance is going to cover everything. Damage must be more than I thought, the 1st adjuster was for small/medium claims but after he talked to the company doing the restoration work, it got bumped up to a large claim adjuster. Either way, both of them are just as great as the one that handled the Charger repairs. Good company that American Family. It's going to be at least a 4 month project. Still amazes (if that's the right word to use) me how much damage water can do, and it was just clean municipal water. Darn the Village of Weston and they're water pressure. At the house it's about 75 psi, IIRC when there was a gauge hooked up a few years ago. The process has begun and so far, going very smoothly.

I told the owner of the restoration company they better do a good job because it's really easy for me to walk over an jack them up if they don't, LOL. I live next door to the place and it's maybe a 30 second walk to their front door
    Last edited by aspen79; 10-18-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would supposed you take pipes more seriously where you are. But in 1994 as a younger man, I had one burst on me in winter from failed heat tape while I was stuck taking shelter with friends in another town from a dead battery after work in the worst storm we'd had in decades. Two days later when the power was back on and we all dug out I discovered an ongoing disaster at home. A whole inch of ice over most of 30X50 and a stalagmite 20 feet around at it's base and over four feet tall. So just in my experience I wouldn't say you were too far behind the potential for more serious problems there. All the same I wish you the best in getting everything sorted and dealt with through the insurance. Sad to come at a time as this but also very much better that you alone are able to deal with it from a perspective of distance being a simple necessity, while your dad isn't discomforted by it in his old age. So now too comes the estimation of damages beyond the simple water problem, of the items in the basement. I'm certain that any one of us would have taken that harder as the person to whom those items belonged. I know I would be devastated to lose the items in my unfinished basement. It does not matter that it isn't a "mancave". They aren't down there forgotten as just things I wasn't ready to throw away, or out of lack of value to me by any stretch of imagination. None of my antiques down there are moldy or uncared for. My shelves stay rotated. My cabinets are full. Everything on or in them is known to me if no other. My workbench is the constant source of joy in my life without ever leaving the house. I'm happy that your dad didn't have to deal with this, for you. Even if such may not have entirely been the situation in this specific case. So I'm hoping this goes as well for you as getting the Charger fixed back up went.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    The worst parts is, I thought of shutting the water off and then turning it on if needed, when I was over there, but didn't. I for sure was going to do it once it got cold out, just in case the furnace quit for some reason. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, right? Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. It will be a bunch of things the next owners won't have to do now. Probably mentioned before that the house needed basically a total gut and start from scratch renovation. At least the hardwood floors will be done already, along with a bunch of other things already, he says trying to look on the bright side.

In a couple months when the quarterly water bill comes, I'll know how many gallons got pumped into the house. It probably a lot.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Mom tried to teach me to turn off the valves on the washing machine hoses after every use.

I went camping Friday to Sunday. Got back home early Monday. The hiking was very difficult so I pulled a tub for a hot soak. I was in there about 10 minutes when the washing machine hose burst.

Now I turn off at the main when I'm leaving for more than just a work day. And of course I turn off the washer valves each use.

YMMV.

United States
    Thanks
    I use braided stainless hoses for the washer and replace them every 5 years or so.

United States
    Thanks
    I've got braided washer hoses and always turn the valve off. My parents house also has braided and an automatic shut off valve. Too bad the toilets didn't have the same thing.
    I went over there last evening to kind of eyeball the stuff in the basement and,,,,,,,,,,holy horror show. The restoration guy said mold starts quick, I didn't realize how quick. Anything wet that's cardboard, wood ,etc is green already. I thought "nope, I'm outta here". Talked to the restoration guy when I got back home and he said it was a bad idea to go into the house anymore until Serv-Pro has emptied the basement and done their mold/water/drying,,,,,,,things. That's what they do and they have all the gear to do it like suits, respirators, training, etc. Works for me. The driveway is full. One side is a huge storage container, the other is a gigantic trash dumpster roll off deal. The smell when I opened the door to go inside was not good. Kind of musty, yucky, gross type of odor. Well, we've got the pro's on the job and I'm confident it'll all be fine in the end.